Started by carl, April 15, 2007, 06:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shrunk

Here's an example of Glenn Gould's work as a composer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1ain4qftoM

The lyrics are here, if you want to sing along:

http://aix1.uottawa.ca/~weinberg/fugue.html

Josquin des Prez

I never liked anything he has every done other then his Bach, which i once considered brilliant, before discovering the harpsichord.

His virtuosity is unquestioned, but he strikes me as somebody who could have beneficed from a few slaps in the head while growing up.

Mark

Well, having now had the opportunity to compare, side by side, Gould's studio '55 and Salzburg live '59 recordings of the Goldberg Variations, I'm pretty convinced that the latter ought to take the laurels. For one thing (and always important with me), better sonics; and for another, a performance that seems to have more fluidity.

Me, liking a live, historical recording? Can it be true? Yes, it most certainly can. :D

My thanks to Norbeone for finding for me the '59 live CD so very, very cheaply on Amazon. ;)

m_gigena

Quote from: Mark on September 22, 2007, 01:30:59 PM
Well, having now had the opportunity to compare, side by side, Gould's studio '55 and Salzburg live '59 recordings of the Goldberg Variations, I'm pretty convinced that the latter ought to take the laurels. For one thing (and always important with me), better sonics; and for another, a performance that seems to have more fluidity.

Me, liking a live, historical recording? Can it be true? Yes, it most certainly can. :D

My thanks to Norbeone for finding for me the '59 live CD so very, very cheaply on Amazon. ;)

I suppose you will never turn into a fan of Myron Poliakin then.

Norbeone

Quote from: Mark on September 22, 2007, 01:30:59 PM

My pleasure   :)

Norbeone

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on September 22, 2007, 11:54:42 AM
His virtuosity is unquestioned, but he strikes me as somebody who could have beneficed from a few slaps in the head while growing up.

I think if he had gotten those slaps he wouldn't be at all the special performer and interpreter than we all (or most of us) know and love.

Thom

Hope this works. I attach a photo I took when in Toronto a few month's back. He is just sitting there in a characteristic pose.

Chaszz

Is there a complete Art of Fugue on piano by Glenn Gould? The matter is confusing to me. The various CD issues contain excerpts, and then a recording where the piano shares with some tracks on organ. There is a 2007 release on one disk for $37 on Amazon, which does not list the tracks. This one seems to be missing from Arkiv. Does anyone know if this one or any of the piano CDs contain the complete work? Or if the piano and organ tracks on that CD add up to the complete work? Thanks. 

springrite

Quote from: Chaszz on February 25, 2009, 07:18:01 AM
Is there a complete Art of Fugue on piano by Glenn Gould? The matter is confusing to me. The various CD issues contain excerpts, and then a recording where the piano shares with some tracks on organ. There is a 2007 release on one disk for $37 on Amazon, which does not list the tracks. This one seems to be missing from Arkiv. Does anyone know if this one or any of the piano CDs contain the complete work? Or if the piano and organ tracks on that CD add up to the complete work? Thanks. 

The Gould recording not only has piano AND organ, he also played the organ as if it were a harpsichord. It drives some people crazy. But if you get over it, it can be quite interesting. (By no means among my favorite version though!)
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Chaszz on February 25, 2009, 07:18:01 AM

Incomplete. Performances on organ, I–IX; on piano, I, II, IV, IX, XI, XIII inversus, and XIV

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

prémont

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on September 22, 2007, 11:54:42 AM

Certainly a striking statement.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

Quote from: springrite on February 25, 2009, 07:25:53 AM
he also played the organ as if it were a harpsichord.

This statement makes very little sense, as you can play the organ and the harpsichord in many ways.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

ongakublue

Hi all

I recently got some music from someone who passed away and I found an old CBS version of both books of the well-tempered clavier as played by gould. I tried to compare track time with the modern 'Gould Edition' but they do vary too yet not enough to mean it is a different performance and research on the net has revealed nothing:

my question is - are these recordings:

http://www.amazon.com/Glenn-Gould-Bach-Well-Tempered-Clavier/dp/B0000028NI/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1281705387&sr=1-6

http://www.amazon.com/Glenn-Gould-Bach-Well-Tempered-Clavier/dp/B0000028NJ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1281705387&sr=1-5

the same as this:

http://www.amazon.com/Bach-Well-Tempered-Clavier-Glenn-Gould/dp/B000ALFNHE/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1281705547&sr=1-14

Put another way, is there only one version of the 48 on record by Gould. Thanks a lot. ;)

J

Jamie Byrne

My Blog: http://jamiebonline.blogspot.com/

Bulldog

Yes, only one version.

mjwal

Only one version - but generally, comparisons of the original LPs of Gould's performances (especially of Bach) with the CD remasterings discover a tonal modification of the piano sound: GG loved the rather hard unresonant sound he produced and the way it sounded on tape playback/LP, but Sony decided to remaster the tapes so as to give the piano sound more aura, if I may put it so vaguely. I am holding onto my LPs...
The Violin's Obstinacy

It needs to return to this one note,
not a tune and not a key
but the sound of self it must depart from,
a journey lengthily to go
in a vein it knows will cripple it.
Peter Porter

ongakublue

Thanks for the info. Appreciated  :)
Jamie Byrne

My Blog: http://jamiebonline.blogspot.com/

mjwal

But there are three Goldbergs, as far as I know. I prefer the live Salzburg version, which would have irritated him...
The Violin's Obstinacy

It needs to return to this one note,
not a tune and not a key
but the sound of self it must depart from,
a journey lengthily to go
in a vein it knows will cripple it.
Peter Porter

Mandryka

Quote from: mjwal on August 14, 2010, 05:19:26 AM
But there are three Goldbergs, as far as I know. I prefer the live Salzburg version, which would have irritated him...

Agreed -- the live one has just the right blend of spontaneity and thoughtfulness.

He's not always at his best live I think. He recorded Mozart PC 24 twice -- live in Stockholm and in the studio. Me, I much prefer the studio one -- which is my favourite recording of my favourite concerto in fact.

The variations movement contains about 10 seconds of the greatest Mozart playing I have ever heard.

Another Gould question. I thought I once read that Gould refused to record the Hamerklavier because he thought that Rosen's first recording was pretty well perfect. I know he did record it in the end, but he refused for a long time because of his admiration for Rosen.

But someone challenged me recently to find the source of this anecdote, and to my shame I was unable to do so.

Am I losing my mind, or did Gould respect Rosen's first Hammerklavier?

By the way mjwal. A personal question. What is that image in your avatar -- A Vision of God Laughing. A print?

Edit: Found it:

http://sites.google.com/a/laughingbone.com/www/visionofgodlaughing
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Verena

QuoteBut there are three Goldbergs, as far as I know. I prefer the live Salzburg version, which would have irritated him...

Seconded. The Salzburg version is special. However, there is also a fourth very early version.
Don't think, but look! (PI66)