Your Top 5 Favorite Saint-Saëns Works

Started by Mirror Image, January 14, 2022, 06:08:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo498

When I was in primary school around 1980, the Carnival was almost as popular for children as Peter and the Wolf and often its B side on LPs. (Another option was to have Nutcracker excerpts with Peter and Carnival + Britten's young person's guide).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Mountain Goat

Symphony No. 3 (Organ)
Piano Concerto No. 5 "Egyptian"
Violin Concerto No. 3
Cello Concerto No. 1
Introduction & Rondo Capriccioso

Trying to come up with this list made me realise how little of his work I actually know. Given how much I enjoy those works I do know, that tells me I really should explore more Saint-Saëns - another thing to add to my New Year's resolutions!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mountain Goat on January 15, 2022, 10:38:38 AM
Symphony No. 3 (Organ)
Piano Concerto No. 5 "Egyptian"
Violin Concerto No. 3
Cello Concerto No. 1
Introduction & Rondo Capriccioso

Trying to come up with this list made me realise how little of his work I actually know. Given how much I enjoy those works I do know, that tells me I really should explore more Saint-Saëns - another thing to add to my New Year's resolutions!

I can only encourage you to further his oeuvre. So many gems await your discovery.

Mountain Goat

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 15, 2022, 06:35:58 PM
I can only encourage you to further his oeuvre. So many gems await your discovery.

Thanks! I certainly intend to - at least once I've finished working my way through the Langgaard symphonies!  :laugh: I'm particularly keen to hear the non-Organ symphonies and the chamber music, which I (shamefully) do not know at all!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mountain Goat on January 16, 2022, 12:37:44 PM
Thanks! I certainly intend to - at least once I've finished working my way through the Langgaard symphonies!  :laugh: I'm particularly keen to hear the non-Organ symphonies and the chamber music, which I (shamefully) do not know at all!

And don't forget about the sacred works like the Requiem and Psalm XVIII. Not to mention Oratorio de Noël.

Mountain Goat

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 16, 2022, 12:58:11 PM
And don't forget about the sacred works like the Requiem and Psalm XVIII. Not to mention Oratorio de Noël.

Duly noted! Another area of his catalogue I was not familiar with, or even aware of.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mountain Goat on January 16, 2022, 01:42:14 PM
Duly noted! Another area of his catalogue I was not familiar with, or even aware of.

The man was quite prolific and there's so much that I haven't heard either.

vandermolen

Symphony No.3
Piano Concerto No.2
Danse Macabre
Carnival of the Animals

err...that's it.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on January 17, 2022, 09:13:07 AM
Symphony No.3
Piano Concerto No.2
Danse Macabre
Carnival of the Animals

err...that's it.

Sounds like someone has some exploring to do! ;)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on January 17, 2022, 11:10:18 AM
Sounds like someone has some exploring to do! ;)
Indeed Kyle! Any recommendations?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on January 18, 2022, 08:00:01 AM
Indeed Kyle! Any recommendations?

You didn't ask me, Jeffrey, but do give these works a listen:

Septet in E♭ major, Op. 65
Trois tableaux symphoniques d'après La foi, Op. 130
Piano Concerto No. 3 in E♭ major, Op. 29
Samson et Dalila, Op. 47
La muse et le poète, Op. 132

Although, you may want to skip Samson et Dalila since it's an opera and I know you're not much of a fan of the genre. The other works, however, I think would be right up your alley.

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 18, 2022, 09:39:48 AM
Although, you may want to skip Samson et Dalila since it's an opera and I know you're not much of a fan of the genre.

Yes, substitute the two string quartets for S & D;)
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Mirror Image

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 18, 2022, 10:49:01 AM
Or the 2nd Piano Trio. 8)

Or the Piano Quartet or Quintet. Or one of the wind sonatas (better still, all three of them). :D
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

vers la flamme

Quote from: Florestan on January 18, 2022, 10:49:38 AM
Or the Piano Quartet or Quintet. Or one of the wind sonatas (better still, all three of them). :D

Those CSS wind sonatas are really good.

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 18, 2022, 10:49:01 AM
Or the 2nd Piano Trio. 8)

I think Jeffrey would probably like the 2nd Piano Trio cause it's one of Camille's "darker" works. Ditto the 1st Cello Sonata. I'd also recommend the highly succinct and dramatic tone poems Phaëton and Le rouet d'Omphale (with its hauntingly mysterious central section).
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on January 18, 2022, 02:44:40 PM
I think Jeffrey would probably like the 2nd Piano Trio cause it's one of Camille's "darker" works. Ditto the 1st Cello Sonata. I'd also recommend the highly succinct and dramatic tone poems Phaëton and Le rouet d'Omphale (with its hauntingly mysterious central section).

Good choices. I should revisit Phaëton and Le rouet d'Omphale. I recall enjoying both pieces.

Brian

Quote from: kyjo on January 18, 2022, 02:44:40 PM
Yeah, he definitely likes dark stuff. It's not easy with Saint-Saëns but some of that chamber music qualifies.

Spotted Horses

I would have to say the five piano concerti and the cello concerto, along with a die to roll to decide which one to leave out to make an even 5.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

vandermolen

Thanks guys!
I've read all the postings with much interest.
I'll start on the 'darker stuff'  :)
Thanks again.