Do you consider yourself an addict to this site?

Started by Symphonic Addict, January 14, 2022, 03:30:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have you considered that you have developed behaviors of an addict or kind of obsessed by this forum?

Yes
Not

Symphonic Addict

Have you considered that you have developed behaviors of an addict or kind of obsessed by this forum?
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

prémont

Well, I have been a music addict my entire life (not the only one here I suppose), and this is the reason why I visit GMG. It gives a lot of inspiration within my special areas of interest. So if you consider me addicted to the forum this is only a secondary effect of my music addiction.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Brian

I've been coming here for 16 years, half my life. Pretty close to every single day.

No.

I'm addicted to music, yes. I have addictive and unhealthy tendencies to buying it. I have an unhealthy compulsion to visit and browse the internet, like many people my age. But visiting here is just because I like it and like the discussion and like all the people. There's no reason to quit, but there's also no reason for me to fear the voluntary commitment I have.

springrite

Absolutely not. I mean, I was away for close to a year. I did not miss it and no one here noticed me being gone either.  :P
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: (: premont :) on January 14, 2022, 03:57:06 PM
Well, I have been a music addict my entire life (not the only one here I suppose), and this is the reason why I visit GMG. It gives a lot of inspiration within my special areas of interest. So if you consider me addicted to the forum this is only a secondary effect of my music addiction.

It is rather similar your feeling to mine, although I don't consider myself an addict either, I gather a lot of inspiration from everyone here (including those who have a huge ego). I learn from everybody!

I love music above all, what I can hear and listen to inspire and create by myself could I do it. I'm fascinated with their composers, with those men and women who have made possible, that humanity can delight themselves by listening, analyzing, enoying classical music written and composed by those magicians.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Daverz

My stats are pretty modest compared to many others here: 6686 posts (1.239 per day) since the Great GMG Server Crash.  Still, I've had to take a few breaks over the years because I felt my interactions here were not healthy.

The stats I find really fascinating are the hourly frequency of posting ("Posting Activity by Time") aggregated over all those years.  You can find it under Profile -> Show Stats.

Brian

Quote from: Daverz on January 14, 2022, 06:03:50 PM
The stats I find really fascinating are the hourly frequency of posting ("Posting Activity by Time") aggregated over all those years.  You can find it under Profile -> Show Stats.
That chart clearly shows how I spent a year living seven time zones ahead of the place I lived the rest of the time.

Mirror Image

Even though the volume of my posts tell a different story, I'm not addicted to this site. As many here, I'm addicted to music. If GMG shut down right now, I wouldn't miss it. I'll just get on Talk Classical or the Steve Hoffman forum. The only thing I've gained from this site is friendship, which is certainly worth more than any post I've ever made here.

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

foxandpeng

No, but I appreciate the site enough to check in at least a couple of times a day. In a world where Internet addiction to superficial and shallow social media is the norm, it's nice to have a thoughtful community given over to music.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on January 14, 2022, 11:34:45 PM
My wife would certainly answer 'Yes'!  ;D
Sounds like she doesn't belong to any "Cat Chat" groups?

By the way, is she feeling back to battery (post-Covid)?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Rinaldo

'Addicted' isn't the word I'd use but GMG has certainly become a part of my life. My activity here waxes and wanes, but even when I abstain from posting, I frequently come back to check for reviews and opinions on works/composers/recordings I'm interested in – and most of the time, I find the geographical diversity and general attitude here comforting.

Szykneij

It has become part of my daily routine, but not to the addiction degree. When various life concerns arise I don't always check in, but I would miss it if it was gone.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

prémont

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 14, 2022, 05:53:26 PM
It is rather similar your feeling to mine, although I don't consider myself an addict either, I gather a lot of inspiration from everyone here (including those who have a huge ego). I learn from everybody!

Maybe I should add, that I prefer GMG to other forums, because it is civilized and one meets many knowledgeable and sympathetic people here.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Jo498

I once was locked out accidentally due to a combination of forgetting my password or messing up the resetting process and the forum being down/overhauled. It took several months until I was able to get back via Gurn's Haydn page.
There were some mild withdrawal symptoms but I am not sure if they got worse by being able to read the forum but not to correct the blatant nonsense by others answer than it would have been if the forum had been completely offline. Eventually I managed, of course.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

(poco) Sforzando

I used to be far more active here. Which probably means I've just gone on to other addictions.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Florestan

Well, one of the symptoms of an addiction that many people exhibit is denial --- so you guys who voted "no" should ponder the issue more deeply.  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

MusicTurner

At times, yes, though 'addicted' is of course a rather negative way of framing it - but my participation also depends on the circumstances and my other activities. Obviously, the quietness of the corona pandemic has also influenced one's available spare time.