Your symphony want list?

Started by MusicTurner, January 17, 2022, 12:00:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MusicTurner

Are there any symphonies, that you plan to acquire for your collection in the future?

I have a few on such a 'want list', mostly not that easy to find for reasonable money, but they might be supplemented with some more stuff, if some unknown works or recordings unknown turn up ...

Biffo

I don't have a list of symphonies that I plan to buy, it never seems to happen like that. In the last year or so I have bought complete cycles by Villa-Lobos, Langgaard and Kabelac but they came completely out of the blue.

Rinaldo

I've been mulling over the right Martinů cycle for me for so long that I'm now planning to step out of my OCD comfort zone and piece a custom set together from different recordings. Praise Bohuslav there's just six of 'em! 8)

Quote from: Biffo on January 17, 2022, 03:07:59 AMIn the last year or so I have bought complete cycles by Villa-Lobos, Langgaard and Kabelac but they came completely out of the blue.

*pounds the box sets* (gently)

relm1

I'm pretty happy with my go to set of the general repertoire symphonies, but like the others, am always hearing of new and intriguing works by lesser-known composers or young composers that I sort of learn about after the fact.  I definitely do have some things I want to hear that for some reason seem completely unavailable though, like I don't think Popov's Symphony No. 4 has ever been recorded (to the best of my knowledge).  There are also some composers I greatly admire and follow that are sadly neglected that are definitely on my want list.  Norwegian's Kjell Mørk Karlsen and Ragnar Søderlind who don't seem to get any national support due to their traditional styles though I've followed them for years and find them excellent though neglected.  Their music isn't even played let alone recorded.  Søderlind mentioned having completed a 90 minute Symphony No. 10 but his hour long No. 9 has never been premiered either.  Very few of Karlsen's orchestral works have been performed professionally.  I would also love Derek Bourgeois's music to get performed and released but same issue.

Mirror Image

There are enough symphonies that have been recorded to last me 20 lifetimes.

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on January 17, 2022, 05:56:40 AM
I'm pretty happy with my go to set of the general repertoire symphonies, but like the others, am always hearing of new and intriguing works by lesser-known composers or young composers that I sort of learn about after the fact.  I definitely do have some things I want to hear that for some reason seem completely unavailable though, like I don't think Popov's Symphony No. 4 has ever been recorded (to the best of my knowledge).  There are also some composers I greatly admire and follow that are sadly neglected that are definitely on my want list.  Norwegian's Kjell Mørk Karlsen and Ragnar Søderlind who don't seem to get any national support due to their traditional styles though I've followed them for years and find them excellent though neglected.  Their music isn't even played let alone recorded.  Søderlind mentioned having completed a 90 minute Symphony No. 10 but his hour long No. 9 has never been premiered either.  Very few of Karlsen's orchestral works have been performed professionally.  I would also love Derek Bourgeois's music to get performed and released but same issue.
Soderlind's No.8 'In Memoriam Jean Sibelius' is a wonderful score and I would love to see that released on CD.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Maestro267

There's a few cycles I'd like to complete at some point.

Lajtha (currently have 2, 5, 6, 8 & 9)
Pettersson (2, 5-7, 11)
Moyzes (1-2, 11-12)

Having recently picked up the Wellesz symphonies there are further CPO box sets I wouldn't mind picking up too.

Symphonic Addict

Symphonies to be recorded? or also completed cycles? Also new cycles.

By symphonies I need this list complete (hopefully):

Bentzon
Egge
Eklund
Eshpai
Eller
Glass, Louis
Hovhaness
Kielland
Kinsella
Koch, Erland
Mosolov
Novák, Vitezslav
Popov
Röntgen
Rosenberg
Soderlind
Tarp, Svend-Erik

My life would be more happy were these cycles recorded in their entirely!

And also a new recording from DaCapo of any other Langgaard symphony. Their CD including Syms. 2 and 6 + a fragment from the 14th was a hit, it impressed me so much.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 17, 2022, 03:38:44 PM
Hovhaness

Eh, do you really think the ones that haven't been recorded yet sound much different from the ones that have? ;)

And yeah, I really wish CPO would complete their Louis Glass cycle - the second and most recent release was from 2017. There is of course the complete cycle from Danacord, but the performances are downright poor....
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on January 17, 2022, 04:42:48 PM
Eh, do you really think the ones that haven't been recorded yet sound much different from the ones that have? ;)

Bingo! You've heard one Hovhaness symphony, you've heard them all. :)

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on January 17, 2022, 04:42:48 PM

And yeah, I really wish CPO would complete their Louis Glass cycle - the second and most recent release was from 2017. There is of course the complete cycle from Danacord, but the performances are downright poor....

That's one of the points to keep into account when a composer is too prolific: much of his/her output is not really mandatory listen.

There are some of them I rank considerably high, though: Nos. 1, 2, 6, 22, 25, 46, 50 and 60.

And, fortunately, they're significantly different each other!  ;)
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Spotted Horses

I have two wishes.

That cpo complete the Henk Badings cycle which stalled out after 3 volumes.
That a resputable label complete a cycle of Bacewicz symphonies.

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

MusicTurner

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 17, 2022, 07:23:23 PM
(...)
There are some of them I rank considerably high, though: Nos. 1, 2, 6, 22, 25, 46, 50 and 60.

And, fortunately, they're significantly different each other!  ;)

Indeed, Hovhaness symphonies can be very varying, in expression, instrumentation (obviously) and structure.

Nos.24 'Majnun' (with vocal parts and in 9 movements) and 9 'St. Vartan' (in 24 movements) are among my favourites.

Maestro267

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 17, 2022, 05:46:40 PM

This was my experience. Although after hearing the Wellesz symphonies, where they typically come in large blocks of Brucknerian non-contrapuntal sound, the thought did cross my mind to try one again.

Rinaldo

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 17, 2022, 05:46:40 PMBingo! You've heard one Hovhaness symphony, you've heard them all. :)

There's truth to this, but the peaks – 2, 19, 22, 47 for me so far – are worth the patience it takes to scale at least part of his oeuvre IMO.

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 17, 2022, 05:46:40 PM

Sort of like the symphonic complement to Vivaldi concertos.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

kyjo

Quote from: Spotted Horses on January 17, 2022, 07:32:12 PM
I have two wishes.

That cpo complete the Head Badings cycle which stalled out after 3 volumes.
That a resputable label complete a cycle of Bacewicz symphonies.

+1
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Maestro267

Quote from: MusicTurner on January 17, 2022, 11:28:14 PM
Nos.24 'Majnun' (with vocal parts and in 9 movements) and 9 'St. Vartan' (in 24 movements) are among my favourites.

This is a fascinating piece of (intentional?) symmetry.

relm1

Do you guys want a complete cycle of Leif Segerstam's Symphonies?  I just listened to a disc of 81, 162, and 181 and quite liked them.  I have no doubt this list is incomplete:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_symphonies_by_Leif_Segerstam

Spotted Horses

Quote from: relm1 on January 18, 2022, 05:54:06 AM
Do you guys want a complete cycle of Leif Segerstam's Symphonies?  I just listened to a disc of 81, 162, and 181 and quite liked them.  I have no doubt this list is incomplete:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_symphonies_by_Leif_Segerstam

Almost 350! Are they published, or do you have to call Segerstam up and ask him to hunt for them, scribbled on napkins stuck between his couch cushions?
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington