What is this mysterious piece?

Started by Rin, January 17, 2022, 08:21:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rin

Hi all!

There's this piece that I woke up with a few months ago. Then this week I found a lost SD card with a recording! For months I've been struggling to find its name and composer.

I'll be eternally grateful for the detective who can find it!

https://soundcloud.com/user-62132406/sphere?si=24a0d5b0511b46b5911d1b33e14375ff&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

MusicTurner

Sorry, it doesn't ring a bell immediately, but there's perhaps-perhaps-perhaps a bit of Robert Schumann in it.

We'll see, hopefully.

Cato

Quote from: MusicTurner on January 17, 2022, 09:10:05 AM
Sorry, it doesn't ring a bell immediately, but there's perhaps-perhaps-perhaps a bit of Robert Schumann in it.

We'll see, hopefully.

I agree: I am not completely acquainted with the entire solo piano oeuvre, but the excerpt has the feel of SchumannMendelssohn and Schubert also come to mind, perhaps even Dvorak.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Rin on January 17, 2022, 08:21:52 AM
Hi all!

There's this piece that I woke up with a few months ago. Then this week I found a lost SD card with a recording! For months I've been struggling to find its name and composer.

I'll be eternally grateful for the detective who can find it!

https://soundcloud.com/user-62132406/sphere?si=24a0d5b0511b46b5911d1b33e14375ff&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing
I don't recognize it myself.  So, you had it on a SD card.  Where did you get the clip from?  Or did you not record any information?  Was it from a radio station (Pardon, but the sound quality is horrible...or maybe it's the recording or something else?).  Can you at least identify a date or any sources?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Rin

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 17, 2022, 11:22:33 AM
I don't recognize it myself.  So, you had it on a SD card.  Where did you get the clip from?  Or did you not record any information?  Was it from a radio station (Pardon, but the sound quality is horrible...or maybe it's the recording or something else?).  Can you at least identify a date or any sources?

PD

I think I recorded it myself. It's from February 2014. These are all the leads I have. Sorry for the horrible quality! The phones back then weren't that amazing  :laugh:
I can hear it's in G minor. Maybe that helps. I was thinking baroque period?

Quote from: MusicTurner on January 17, 2022, 09:10:05 AM

We'll see, hopefully.

Hmmmm. I've tried all his piano pieces in G minor - none of it that sounds/ looks similar. Thank you for the suggestion though!

Quote from: Cato on January 17, 2022, 09:42:38 AM
I agree: I am not completely acquainted with the entire solo piano oeuvre, but the excerpt has the feel of SchumannMendelssohn and Schubert also come to mind, perhaps even Dvorak.

Thank you for your suggestions! But couldn't find anything in their repertoire that sounds/ looks similar. Or maybe I'm searching wrong (won't deny that possibility  ::) )

The other day I found this while scrolling through all the pieces in g minor from Pachelbel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TDj3Lmw5I4
The first 9 notes are the same! But the continuation is completely different... Must admit I made a little jump from happiness when hearing the first notes  ;D

The base sounds pretty harmonious to me - following the rules of harmony, almost like in counterpoint.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Rin on January 17, 2022, 01:13:49 PM
I think I recorded it myself. It's from February 2014. These are all the leads I have. Sorry for the horrible quality! The phones back then weren't that amazing  :laugh:
I can hear it's in G minor. Maybe that helps. I was thinking baroque period?
Did you record it off the radio?  If so, you might be able to find it on their play list if 1) they go back that far, 2) o.k., make this No. 1:  you remember which station it was played on, 3) any idea of time/date/day of week even?  If you only listen to that station on saturdays during the daytime...

Just some thoughts!  Good luck!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Madiel

I don't think it sounds at all like Schumann myself.

To be honest it sounds rather... basic. I wouldn't think it was by a major composer unless it was part of some pieces for children or similar. But even then... I just had a quick look at Mendelssohn's pieces for children op.72, because of the suggested composers I thought Mendelssohn was at least possible, and this piece is a lot more basic than that.

So I don't love anyone's chances of finding it. Because I think it's either a pretty simple children's piece that could have been written by a vast range of people, or else some more modern bit of pop-classical that... could have been written by a vast range of people.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Rinaldo

Quote from: Madiel on January 18, 2022, 03:00:59 AMTo be honest it sounds rather... basic. I wouldn't think it was by a major composer unless it was part of some pieces for children or similar.

My first thoughts exactly. Sounds like a modern day pop tune.