Bach Brilliant edition and other large box set recordings

Started by marvinbrown, August 28, 2007, 09:57:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Que

Bogey

Quote from: Que on September 13, 2007, 07:39:48 PM
Interesting to see that an additional 15 CD's with famous historical recordings is included. (Good choices in those BTW)

Q

Looks as though it will be about $140....Amazon does not have it yet.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Que

And the show goes on with....

Complete keyboard sonatas of Domenico Scarlatti by Pieter-Jan Belder (36 CD's)

Spotted on Amazon.fr/.de, jpc and some British retailers (who charge an astronomical amount in comparison - so avoid!  :o).

Q

Anne

Where does one find the Russian Edition?  How much does it cost?

Que

Quote from: Que on September 13, 2007, 06:37:33 AM
100 CD's for €83,88 on French Amazon... 8)
(€1 = $1,39 and rising)

Q

Also on other European amazons, and other European sources for more (money).

Q

Anne

Quote from: Que on September 14, 2007, 08:31:47 AM
Also on other European amazons, and other European sources for more (money).

Q

Thanks, Que.  I had missed your reply previously.

Anne

On the Russian megabox set I was looking for music by Russian composers.  That is not the case.  Russian musicians are the reason for the title "Russian."

Harry

Quote from: premont on September 20, 2007, 11:22:51 AM
And it was indeed your insistent recommandation, which prompted me to investigate Belders Scarlatti. Thanks.

You are very welcome my friend. :)

PerfectWagnerite

I recently ordered this:

from Amazon France for 38 Euro. I don't know much about it but here is a partial track listing and it looks interesting, defnitely some new music.

Anyone has it and care to comment?

dirkronk

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on April 24, 2008, 12:40:00 PM
I recently ordered this:

from Amazon France for 38 Euro. I don't know much about it but here is a partial track listing and it looks interesting, defnitely some new music.

Anyone has it and care to comment?

Well, I don't have it but I have to admit it looks tempting. So does this box set from FRENCH Harmonia Mundi--slightly fewer CDs but an interesting selection, too:

http://www.amazon.com/Anniversary-Harmonia-Mundi-Various-Artists/dp/B000VIFM1S/ref=dp_return_1?ie=UTF8&n=5174&s=music

Too many sets...too little time...
;D

Dirk

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: dirkronk on April 24, 2008, 12:56:01 PM
Well, I don't have it but I have to admit it looks tempting. So does this box set from FRENCH Harmonia Mundi--slightly fewer CDs but an interesting selection, too:

http://www.amazon.com/Anniversary-Harmonia-Mundi-Various-Artists/dp/B000VIFM1S/ref=dp_return_1?ie=UTF8&n=5174&s=music

Too many sets...too little time...
;D

Dirk
Yeah I have that one also. It is definitely worth the $50. I haven't listened to all of it yet but what I have listened to: the Schubert Fantasy, the Biber Violin works, the Bach St. Matthew Passion, and the Mozart "Prague" Symphony conducted by Rene Jacobs, are stunning.

dirkronk

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on April 24, 2008, 12:59:46 PM
Yeah I have that one also. It is definitely worth the $50.

FIFTY BUCKS!! Where did you find it for only $50? Best I see here (US Amazon) is $79 and change. What a bargain you got!

Dirk

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: dirkronk on April 24, 2008, 01:18:42 PM
FIFTY BUCKS!! Where did you find it for only $50? Best I see here (US Amazon) is $79 and change. What a bargain you got!

Dirk
I got it from Caiman last December. It seems to be in and out of circulation at Amazon. I didn't shop around really but that was the price for at least a couple of months I think.

OzRadio

This is an old thread but I thought I'd throw in my two novice thumbs up for Brilliant's complete Bach set. I've thoroughly enjoyed the complete Mozart (of what I've listened to) and figured this would be a good investment. While I understand why more experienced listeners would pass on these sets, for casual listeners like myself I think they're a great buy. I'm no audiophile so the sound quality is fine for me, and I can't really tell the difference between recordings of the same piece so that's not an issue either. Maybe someday I'll need to upgrade certain pieces but that day would be in the distant future. The set is 99$ at Tower Records (shipping included) so I would definitely recommend it to any casual or new listener who's on the fence about it. I'm already planning on the Beethoven set (101$ at Tower) for November.
Ryan

maswot

Quote from: Que on September 13, 2007, 06:37:33 AM
100 CD's for €83,88 on French Amazon... 8)
(€1 = $1,39 and rising)

Q

The price of the Brilliant Bach, Mozart and Beethoven sets is now below 50 euro each at a number of European sites, and under 80 euro for the Haydn set (not "complete" but impressive nonetheless). At that price, how can you not take a flier? The Bach set was the first to arrive, and so far I must say it is pretty darn good. I've only sampled a handful of the cantatas, but everything I have heard so far is very beautifully sung and recorded. The orchestra used for the cantatas is obviously a pickup band, and while the playing is quite competent you do get the feeling that the musicians were sight-reading. You don't get that marvelous driving energy in the melodic or counterpuntal lines that marks a top-tier Bach performance. I have all the cantatas that Suzuki and Herreweghe have recorded so far, and those are absolutely spectacular - not a bad disk in the bunch. I also have a smattering of Gardiner's old and new recordings, which are also quite good. In comparison, the few disks I've heard from the Brilliant set are more intimate, miked closer with less ambience from the hall. I actually like this sound a lot. These are less majestic and other-worldly than Herreweghe. To put it positively, these are earthy performances. But having said that, they are quite enjoyable, and for the price it's a no-brainer. As a set to take to the office or as Christmas presents, this is a killer package. I'm looking forward to the arrival of the Mozart and Haydn. Then all I need is a couple of years to plow through it all ...

FredT

My favorite box is the Sony issue of Stravinsky--I bought it for about $28 for I think 22 cds..absolutely essential stuff, one of  great musical and historical importance!

Also bought the Beethoven box by Sony...60 discs for something like 27 bucks...a real good deal and some decent performnces.

For the most part, these boxes are real steals but you'll never get 100% great performances...never..