Five Favorite Composers You Hadn't Heard About In the Beggining

Started by Florestan, January 20, 2022, 05:03:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

I mean, five composers which are now firm favorites but about whom you hadn't heard when you started listening to classical music.

My list in no particular order

Ermanno Wolf-Ferrari
Reynaldo Hahn
Nikolai Medtner
Hugo Wolf
Sergei Bortkiewicz

Honorable mention: Sigismond Thalberg, Henri Herz, Granados, Albeniz, Mompou

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

springrite

Havergal Brian
Rued Langgaard
Charles-Valentin Alkan
Edmund Rubbra
George Perle
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Mirror Image

Interesting thread idea, Andrei. :) This could be a bit tricky as I think many of us haven't heard a lot of the names we're familiar with now outside of the more well-known names.

Let's see...(in no particular order):

Martinů
Falla
Enescu
Roussel
Villa-Lobos

Honorable mentions: Zemlinsky, Koechlin, Ginastera, Revueltas, Chávez, Britten, K. A. Hartmann

Brian

Oh, I LOVE this question!!

Far and away #1 is Janacek. I remember enrolling in university in Houston the year after the Houston Grand Opera finished a complete cycle of every Janacek opera, and I thought, "wonder who that weirdo is and why they would do that when I've never heard of him." Imagine if I was 5 years older and could have seen them all live!!!! Truly it is amazing that they did that project!

Close behind him are Martinu and Roussel, whom I found out about after age 20. (I guess some people would still call it early but I was on GMG at age 16!  ??? ;D )
So many more options after that: Mompou, Nielsen, Biber, Kalliwoda, Weinberg, Britten (I never heard the Young Person's Guide), Smetana, Scarlatti, Zelenka, and literally anyone from post WWII (Salonen, Auerbach, Brouwer, Matthews, Lutoslawski, etc). We didn't have any Shostakovich in the house but I must have heard about him somewhere.

And then there are others who were barely there, like my parents only had two CDs of Haydn (92/94/96 on CBS and a trumpet concertos collection) and the only Vaughan Williams that I knew about until college was "Fantasia on Greensleeves" because they played it at Christmas. (Certainly did not know about "Hodie"!) Fazil Say we had because he's Turkish and so's mom, but we only had him as a pianist (Tchaikovsky concerto 1), not a composer.

I'll go with Scarlatti and Nielsen to complete the top 5. If thinking RVW is just the guy who wrote Greensleeves counts as not knowing who he is, he can take Nielsen's place. What a great question. :)

springrite

Quote from: springrite on January 20, 2022, 05:23:13 AM
Havergal Brian
Rued Langgaard
Charles-Valentin Alkan
Edmund Rubbra
George Perle
Instead of "Five composers which are now firm favorites but about whom you hadn't heard when you started listening to classical music", I decided to name five that I did not know during my first few years of listening to classical music. I think this is more relevant since, as pointed out, most of know no more than the few usual suspects when we "started listening to classical music."

Symphonic Addict

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Maestro267

Technically I hadn't heard of any of them at the beginning of my listening. Tchaikovsky was the first.

springrite

Quote from: Maestro267 on January 20, 2022, 09:25:30 AM
Technically I hadn't heard of any of them at the beginning of my listening. Tchaikovsky was the first.
My point exactly!

Rinaldo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 20, 2022, 08:18:37 AM
Respighi
Langgaard
Tubin
Martinu
Schnittke

Very close to what my list could look like. Respighi, Schnittke and especially Langgaard are names I haven't encountered when the classical world started to interest me - and all three are now among my favourite composers. Others that immediately spring to mind are Elizabeth Maconchy and William Lawes, both tremendous discoveries for me.

Florestan

Quote from: Maestro267 on January 20, 2022, 09:25:30 AM

Quote from: springrite on January 20, 2022, 09:38:43 AM
My point exactly!

When I started listening to classical music, I already knew some Mozart, Beethoven, Schumann, Tchaikovsky, Vivaldi, Grieg, Chopin, Ravel and Bizet.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Rinaldo

Quote from: Florestan on January 20, 2022, 09:45:38 AM
When I started listening to classical music, I already knew some Mozart, Beethoven, Schumann, Tchaikovsky, Vivaldi, Grieg, Chopin, Ravel and Bizet.

Same here. I could hum some Mozart, Vivaldi, Bizet or Grieg (and know it's tunes by those guys) a decade before diving into it all.

71 dB

Nice idea for a thread.  :)

Sergei Taneyev
Mieczyslaw Weinberg
Jean-Philippe Rameau
Alessandro Scarlatti
Enrique Granados
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Symphonic Addict

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Rinaldo on January 20, 2022, 09:41:17 AM
Very close to what my list could look like. Respighi, Schnittke and especially Langgaard are names I haven't encountered when the classical world started to interest me - and all three are now among my favourite composers. Others that immediately spring to mind are Elizabeth Maconchy and William Lawes, both tremendous discoveries for me.

My first encounter with Langgaard was in 2008. For some reason I don't remember right now, the webpage dedicated to him popped up in my internet explorer and I checked it out. The content there was enough to keeping me astounded till now (and on) and with the subsequent recordings of his works.

I know nothing about Lawes. In what spectre of styles you put him?

Noam Chomsky

springrite

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 20, 2022, 05:47:57 PM
Was Tchaikovsky your first encounter also with classical music?
Johann Strauss Jr., Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, Dvorak, Gershwin, Mozart

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: springrite on January 20, 2022, 07:21:44 PM
Johann Strauss Jr., Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, Dvorak, Gershwin, Mozart

Except for Gershwin, those all were first introductions for me as well, and I also forget it, Vivaldi too.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Other quite interesting composers whom I came to know a while after are Paul Hindemith, Francis Poulenc and Erich W. Korngold, all from 1890's.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Braga-Santos
Staney Bate
Richard Arnell
David Diamond
Yoshimatsu
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Rinaldo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 20, 2022, 05:53:05 PMI know nothing about Lawes. In what spectre of styles you put him?

English baroque with a twist. He's kind of like Jan Dismas Zelenka to me: they both make complex stuff sound effortless and keep throwing amazing curveballs.

Jo498

Bruckner and Mahler would probably be the most prominent.
Admittedly, I cannot reconstruct this clearly but I certainly had never heard of them before and probably at most their names even for a year or two already listening to Dvorak, Haydn, Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, Schubert etc. I remember that I found it preposterous to have symphonies longer than Beethoven's 9th that frequently needed two LPs... ;) (although the first Bruckner and Mahler I got was already on CD, it was in the intermediate time in the late 1980s when stores still had LPs as well).

Next would probably be Janacek and Shostakovich. Another one is Fauré I encountered much later. There are quite a few moderately famous/important composers that were at best names to me for many years. My first encounters were typical "warhorses" and for several years I was rather strongly focussed on favorites like Beethoven, Brahms, Mozart. However, I usually got to know at least the names within the first ca. two years of classical listening because I read all the popular guides on music etc. I got my hands on.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal