Are the aliens here?

Started by milk, May 25, 2021, 06:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LKB

I wouldn't say that Homo Sapiens is unremarkable. Immature, dangerous and somewhat arrogant, but not unremarkable.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

foxandpeng

Quote from: LKB on July 05, 2021, 12:56:57 PM
I wouldn't say that Homo Sapiens is unremarkable. Immature, dangerous and somewhat arrogant, but not unremarkable.

Although they do inhabit a planet in the spiral arm of a rather unremarkable galaxy, as I suggested earlier. However interesting or unusual the emergence of complex life may be, it has done so in one of the countless cosmic backwaters of the universe and pretty far from anything else.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

steve ridgway

Quote from: foxandpeng on July 05, 2021, 05:58:26 AM
Unless, of course, one has a broader view of the presence of over-arching intelligence, purpose and curation in the universe. In which case, lots of space between this planet and the next is probably a good thing anyway.

I would most enjoy a lot of separate, distinct environments with their own cultures and artefacts rather than widespread dominance by a single civilisation, and would want things that took a long time to develop to be taken care of.

MusicTurner

In its own way, it's a a bit interesting how this field has completely faded out in public discussions, with no news or information of any importance apparently, since the much-awaited, but very meagre official US report ...

rhomboid

Some species of aliens are capable of becoming invisible.

LKB

Quote from: romboid on February 01, 2022, 09:29:55 AM

Not really surprising, if in fact such visitors are on our world. Consider:

https://youtu.be/YnhFX03JBIs

Any civilization advanced enough to have mastered superluminal travel should also have perfected a means for staying undetectable in the visible wavelengths, if they so choose.

rhomboid

Quote from: LKB on February 01, 2022, 09:51:10 AM
Not really surprising, if in fact such visitors are on our world. Consider:

https://youtu.be/YnhFX03JBIs

Any civilization advanced enough to have mastered superluminal travel should also have perfected a means for staying undetectable in the visible wavelengths, if they so choose.

Oops, that is a 2012 video and I'm not updated...  :-X

Iota

"Better than our most optimistic prediction" – first images from James Webb exceed all expectations

QuoteImages of a very "boring" star are making waves across the astronomical world today – they are the first sent back from NASA's James Webb telescope, and they have exceeded all hopes and expectations.

Having completed the self-assembly of its 18-segmented main mirror, the telescope has now taken exceptional images of an unexceptional star as a test of its capabilities. The star, known as HD84406, is 100 times fainter than what can be seen with the human eye. The star itself is of little interest, lovely though its image is – instead, astronomers are captivated by the spray of tiny dots scattered across the background. Each is a distant galaxy, and this is the first time we've ever been able to capture them.

In a virtual briefing, NASA officials expressed their overwhelming joy and relief at what these first images represent.

"We said last fall that we would know that the telescope is working properly when we have an image of a star that looks like a star," says Lee Feinberg, Webb optical telescope element manager at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center. "Now you're seeing that image. And I'm happy to say that the optical performance of the telescope is absolutely phenomenal, it is really working extremely well. The performance is as good if not better than our most optimistic prediction."

https://cosmosmagazine.com/space/james-webb-telescope-first-images/

Still some way to go before fully operational, but an impressive start for JWST!

LKB

I'm really looking forward to the science which will soon be coming our way. It may not be quite as exciting as Aliens, but I'll take it.  ;D

geralmar

If the universe hosts beings of superior intelligence interested in earth, why do they come here and then just dissect our cows and knock down circles in farmers' fields?

Some time ago I read the suggestion that if we really want to encounter alien intelligence we should just look at our pet dog or cat.

I am sorry; but over the decades I have evolved from "true believer" to hardened skeptic. 

An excellent site for UFO skeptics is badufos.blogspot.com

A useful site for believers is ufoimplications.com/radio_archive.html

foxandpeng

Edit: I had forgotten that I 'have already commented on this thread. Apologies. Nevertheless...

Are aliens here?

Nope.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

prémont

Quote from: romboid on February 01, 2022, 09:29:55 AM

How are you able to see this?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν