Three favourite 10th symphonies

Started by vandermolen, January 23, 2022, 02:38:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

A few composers got to No.9 but fewer to No.10.

Shostakovich

Havergal Brian

Tubin

These are three of my favourite symphonies.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

springrite

Quote from: vandermolen on January 23, 2022, 02:38:18 AM
A few composers got to No.9 but fewer to No.10.

Shostakovich

Havergal Brian

Tubin

These are three of my favourite symphonies.
Well, those are three that came to mind for me as well.

I may substitute Vainberg for Tubin.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Maestro267

vandermolen

Quote from: springrite on January 23, 2022, 04:10:52 AM
Well, those are three that came to mind for me as well.

I may substitute Vainberg for Tubin.
I'm not so familiar with the Weinberg/Vainberg - is that the one in memory of Shostakovich?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Wanderer

vers la flamme

I only know two: Shostakovich and Mahler. One of my favorites from the former, one of my least favorites from the latter, but I would rate them about equally.

Maestro267

Quote from: vandermolen on January 23, 2022, 05:04:25 AM
I'm not so familiar with the Weinberg/Vainberg - is that the one in memory of Shostakovich?

That's No. 12. I'm not familiar with No. 10 either. It appears to be for strings alone.

Symphonic Addict

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Maestro267 on January 23, 2022, 04:22:44 AM
Mahler
Myaskovsky
Brian

Oddly enough, Myaskovsky's 10th is one of my least favorites by him!  :)
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

foxandpeng

Holmboe
Tubin
Pettersson, maybe?

... how about a left field Peter Maxwell Davies, Alla Pavlova's 'Path to Golden Gate', or Hovhaness' 'Vahaken'... Lloyd's 'November Journeys'...

"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

VonStupp

I would probably prefer many of the ones already mentioned, but without repeating those:

Villa-Lobos
HW Henze
Don Gillis

I have not heard Leif Segerstam's 10th Symphony, but I am willing to investigate.  ;D

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: foxandpeng on January 23, 2022, 08:49:57 AM
Holmboe
Tubin
Pettersson, maybe?

... how about a left field Peter Maxwell Davies, Alla Pavlova's 'Path to Golden Gate', or Hovhaness' 'Vahaken'... Lloyd's 'November Journeys'...

The Pettersson is a pandemonium! Interesting choice.

I remember disliking the Maxwell Davies. Extremely dour and depressive for my taste.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: VonStupp on January 23, 2022, 08:56:12 AM
I would probably prefer many of the ones already mentioned, but without repeating those:

Villa-Lobos
HW Henze
Don Gillis

I have not heard Leif Segerstam's 10th Symphony, but I am willing to investigate.  ;D

VS

Thumbs up for Villa-Lobos and Henze.

As for Segerstam... I pass.  :D

Noam Chomsky

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on January 23, 2022, 05:04:25 AM

No, that's the Twelfth. The Tenth is very good indeed.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

foxandpeng

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 23, 2022, 09:58:02 AM
The Pettersson is a pandemonium! Interesting choice.

I remember disliking the Maxwell Davies. Extremely dour and depressive for my taste.

Bit of a tough third choice, really. The obvious is to cop out and go with DSCH, but I don't love the work, tbh. The PMD is OK, but the choral elements detract. Pettersson is always worth hearing, although not the pinnacle for me amongst his output either. Possibly Pavlova or Hovhaness need to slug it out for 3rd spot.

I need to get to know more 10ths 😀

"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: foxandpeng on January 23, 2022, 10:54:15 AM
Bit of a tough third choice, really. The obvious is to cop out and go with DSCH, but I don't love the work, tbh. The PMD is OK, but the choral elements detract. Pettersson is always worth hearing, although not the pinnacle for me amongst his output either. Possibly Pavlova or Hovhaness need to slug it out for 3rd spot.

I need to get to know more 10ths 😀

Another Tenth you could quite like and enjoy too is the one by the Finn Kalevi Aho. Stormy, brooding, with a long and dense slow movement (3rd mov.)

Noam Chomsky

Daverz

Shostakovich and Mahler (Cooke II).  I'm sure I've heard Aho, Pettersson, probably Haydn and Tubin, but can't bring anything to mind about those symphonies.

vandermolen

Quote from: Maestro267 on January 23, 2022, 08:13:35 AM
That's No. 12. I'm not familiar with No. 10 either. It appears to be for strings alone.
Thank you!

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 23, 2022, 08:34:22 AM
Oddly enough, Myaskovsky's 10th is one of my least favorites by him!  :)
+1

Langgaard's No.10 is one of my favourite ones as well.

Am really enjoying reading the suggestions. Thanks everyone  :)