Three favourite 10th symphonies

Started by vandermolen, January 23, 2022, 02:38:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: foxandpeng on January 23, 2022, 08:49:57 AM
Holmboe
Tubin
Pettersson, maybe?

... how about a left field Peter Maxwell Davies, Alla Pavlova's 'Path to Golden Gate', or Hovhaness' 'Vahaken'... Lloyd's 'November Journeys'...

Holmboe's No.10 is excellent. It was one of the ones that I collected on LP (along with No.Eight)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

springrite

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 23, 2022, 04:22:55 PM
Another Tenth you could quite like and enjoy too is the one by the Finn Kalevi Aho. Stormy, brooding, with a long and dense slow movement (3rd mov.)
Oh yes. Forgot about that one!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

foxandpeng

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 23, 2022, 04:22:55 PM
Another Tenth you could quite like and enjoy too is the one by the Finn Kalevi Aho. Stormy, brooding, with a long and dense slow movement (3rd mov.)

Sounds like my kind of thing, thank you 😊

Any thoughts on Schnittke 10? Don't know this yet either   
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: foxandpeng on January 24, 2022, 03:00:37 AM
Sounds like my kind of thing, thank you 😊

Any thoughts on Schnittke 10? Don't know this yet either   

Schnittke 10? He only composed eight and left one unfinished, unless we are including Symphony No. 0.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

foxandpeng

Probably why I don't know it, then :-D

I have the BIS '10 Symphonies' saved but unlistened, so assumed there was a full 10.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy