Probably my darkest work yet

Started by relm1, January 23, 2022, 04:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

relm1

This is the ending of what is probably my darkest work.  Loud music warning.  It is a 25 minute symphonic poem.  Sort of like Tchaikovsky's Francesca da Rimini but without the romantic music. 

https://clyp.it/ovdkrvya

The general idea was composed in 2011.  I revised it in 2015 to a complete work but revisioned it just now in 2022 to this current form which is how I imagined it back in 2011.  It is very loud and very dark.  Definitely not for everyone. 

Symphonic Addict

Turbulent indeed, and so atmospheric too. Man, this is loud!!! I must say I really liked this. Thanks for sharing.

Have you ever tried the option of composing a symphony of a considerable ambition? I'm quite sure you can create works like that.

Congratulations, and thanks for sharing your talent with us!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

relm1

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 23, 2022, 05:17:06 PM
Turbulent indeed, and so atmospheric too. Man, this is loud!!! I must say I really liked this. Thanks for sharing.

Have you ever tried the option of composing a symphony of a considerable ambition? I'm quite sure you can create works like that.

Congratulations, and thanks for sharing your talent with us!

Thank you!  I posted excerpts of my Symphony No. 1 and No. 4 here.  but not the entire works because I'm not that great at mock ups. 

Mirror Image

I'm not sure if I would say it's dark as my associations with such an adjective are vastly different than your own BUT, and this is important, I liked your work very much. Turbulent is certainly what springs to mind, but also unsettling it is, too. It actually reminded me a bit of Myaskovsky's Symphony No. 24 (particularly the 2nd movement). So definitely Soviet composers came to mind when I was listening to this work of your own. Anyway, it's wonderful, although I wish it were longer with perhaps some more developmental sections, but you might not have had this in mind.

relm1

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 24, 2022, 01:37:15 PM
I'm not sure if I would say it's dark as my associations with such an adjective are vastly different than your own BUT, and this is important, I liked your work very much. Turbulent is certainly what springs to mind, but also unsettling it is, too. It actually reminded me a bit of Myaskovsky's Symphony No. 24 (particularly the 2nd movement). So definitely Soviet composers came to mind when I was listening to this work of your own. Anyway, it's wonderful, although I wish it were longer with perhaps some more developmental sections, but you might not have had this in mind.

Thanks.  Soviet composers have been a major influence in my development.  As well as the Russians (Rimsky-Korsakov, Scriabin, Mussorgsky, and Rachmaninoff I don't consider Soviet but Russian), but others as well.  The full piece is 25 minutes long and this is an excerpt of the coda only.  It is dark in that there is no levity in it.  That doesn't mean other descriptive adjectives such as "turbulent" don't also apply because they do but the piece is pessimistic throughout except for a chord here or there like the F major near the end but that was used to highlight the sense of despair by tasting hope.

krummholz

Reminds me a little of Tubin's 8th. Very atmospheric, and gripping. I was listening for that F major chord and did not hear it, nor any major-key chord. Sounded unremittingly dark... not that that's a bad thing. :)

relm1

Quote from: krummholz on January 24, 2022, 07:00:26 PM
Reminds me a little of Tubin's 8th. Very atmospheric, and gripping. I was listening for that F major chord and did not hear it, nor any major-key chord. Sounded unremittingly dark... not that that's a bad thing. :)

Thanks!  Not familiar with that work but will check it out.

Karl Henning

Quote from: relm1 on January 23, 2022, 04:40:18 PM
This is the ending of what is probably my darkest work.  Loud music warning.  It is a 25 minute symphonic poem.  Sort of like Tchaikovsky's Francesca da Rimini but without the romantic music. 

https://clyp.it/ovdkrvya

The general idea was composed in 2011.  I revised it in 2015 to a complete work but revisioned it just now in 2022 to this current form which is how I imagined it back in 2011.  It is very loud and very dark.  Definitely not for everyone. 

Nice work! Paranthtically, I don't see/hear why it wouldn't be for everyone 8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

relm1

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 25, 2022, 07:15:04 AM
Nice work! Paranthtically, I don't see/hear why it wouldn't be for everyone 8)

Thanks mate.  "everyone" just meant that lots of people don't like such dark or loud music.  Alot of people will dismiss this for those reasons alone and not listen to it.  My sister is vegan.  The greatest steak recipe wouldn't appeal to her.  That sort of thing.

Karl Henning

Quote from: relm1 on January 25, 2022, 04:54:10 PM
Thanks mate.  "everyone" just meant that lots of people don't like such dark or loud music.  Alot of people will dismiss this for those reasons alone and not listen to it.  My sister is vegan.  The greatest steak recipe wouldn't appeal to her.  That sort of thing.

Can't please everybody. And that's all right.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: relm1 on January 24, 2022, 04:48:29 PM
Thanks.  Soviet composers have been a major influence in my development.  As well as the Russians (Rimsky-Korsakov, Scriabin, Mussorgsky, and Rachmaninoff I don't consider Soviet but Russian), but others as well.  The full piece is 25 minutes long and this is an excerpt of the coda only.  It is dark in that there is no levity in it.  That doesn't mean other descriptive adjectives such as "turbulent" don't also apply because they do but the piece is pessimistic throughout except for a chord here or there like the F major near the end but that was used to highlight the sense of despair by tasting hope.

Now that I'm thinking about it. In the more aggressive, loud sections, it reminds me of Honegger's Prélude pour 'La Tempête' de William Shakespeare. 8)

relm1

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 25, 2022, 07:00:46 PM
Now that I'm thinking about it. In the more aggressive, loud sections, it reminds me of Honegger's Prélude pour 'La Tempête' de William Shakespeare. 8)

Will add that to my long listening list.  I love Honegger. 

Rinaldo

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 25, 2022, 05:27:54 PMCan't please everybody. And that's all right.

A wonderful quote by game designer Jean-Paul LeBreton comes to mind:

"If everyone made more things that were not for everyone, there would be plenty of something for everyone."

Quote from: relm1 on January 23, 2022, 04:40:18 PM
This is the ending of what is probably my darkest work.  Loud music warning.  It is a 25 minute symphonic poem.  Sort of like Tchaikovsky's Francesca da Rimini but without the romantic music. (...) It is very loud and very dark.  Definitely not for everyone.

Don't know about the whole work but the excerpt you've posted is quite enjoyable. From booming to brooding to booming again in just a few minutes – love it!

vandermolen

Greatly enjoyed it. VW's 'Sinfonia Antartica' came to mind towards the end.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

relm1

Quote from: Rinaldo on January 26, 2022, 07:48:01 AM
A wonderful quote by game designer Jean-Paul LeBreton comes to mind:

"If everyone made more things that were not for everyone, there would be plenty of something for everyone."

Don't know about the whole work but the excerpt you've posted is quite enjoyable. From booming to brooding to booming again in just a few minutes – love it!

Thank you.  The rest is also booming and brooding but never quite as much as here.  The section that immediately precedes the excerpt is loud and frantic for example.  It ends suddenly with the sequence above.

relm1

Quote from: vandermolen on January 26, 2022, 10:26:47 AM
Greatly enjoyed it. VW's 'Sinfonia Antartica' came to mind towards the end.

Thank you!  Definitely has some RVW Sinfonia Antartica in it.  I have a "Glaciers" moment too.

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on January 27, 2022, 05:46:00 AM
Thank you!  Definitely has some RVW Sinfonia Antartica in it.  I have a "Glaciers" moment too.
I really enjoyed it.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

relm1

I am playing around with video.  So, I chose a different moment of the score to present.  Jeffrey, this is the RVW "Glaciers" moment I referenced earlier. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5GEiK5GzhU

Sorry, I haven't figured out how to imbed video.   

Uhor

relm1