Most overused/meaningless words/phrases in contemporary language

Started by Brahmsian, January 25, 2022, 06:01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 13, 2023, 07:45:12 AMThe Republican Party has been known as the GOP since the 1870's.
Interesting I've only been aware of the term in recent years.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

DavidW

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

When a person passes away and someone says that he/she 'died on me', as if it was a deliberate act designed to cause the maximum inconvenience.

VonStupp

Quote from: Brian on May 13, 2023, 07:16:06 AMAnd "cap" is a new one too.

I will have to try that one this week to see if anyone understands. Not being on the East or West coasts, our fads can be a mite slower to take hold.
VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Wanderer

Quote from: Jo498 on May 13, 2023, 12:01:45 AMSays the modern Greek who pronounces almost everything as "ee" where there was a range of 5 or more different sounds from oi to ei only 2000 years ago :)

"Only" 2000 years ago? :D Actually, the pronunciation that Greeks use today is even older; it's been around since before Alexander the Great. And even if it weren't, it would still be irrelevant to the fact that a foreigner should make an effort to speak the language correctly today. 

Disclaimer: Greek pronunciation tips, those not interested avert your eyes!
Barring the digraph «αι», Αlpha is always pronounced a (as in "a"pple), never ei.
And since they were mentioned above: «οι» and «ει» are pronounced like "ea"t, «oϊ» and "όι» are pronounced like oi (ointment) (notice the umlauts/accent) and «εϊ» and «έι» are pronounced like ei. Of course, when in doubt, asking a native speaker always helps!  8)

Florestan

Quote from: Wanderer on May 13, 2023, 10:39:17 AM"Only" 2000 years ago? :D Actually, the pronunciation that Greeks use today is even older; it's been around since before Alexander the Great. And even if it weren't, it would still be irrelevant to the fact that a foreigner should make an effort to speak the language correctly today.

Disclaimer: Greek pronunciation tips, those not interested avert your eyes!
Barring the digraph «αι», Αlpha is always pronounced a (as in "a"pple), never ei.
And since they were mentioned above: «οι» and «ει» are pronounced like "ea"t, «oϊ» and "όι» are pronounced like oi (ointment) (notice the umlauts/accent) and «εϊ» and «έι» are pronounced like ei. Of course, when in doubt, asking a native speaker always helps!  8)

Most helpful tips, evharisto!
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Wanderer

Quote from: Jo498 on May 13, 2023, 12:01:45 AMThis is almost a done deal of language change in English. It was preceded by "data" and might be followed by "millenia" being used as singular.
Really? I hope that's not the case; I still see the correct singular "phenomenon" quite often.

I don't think data is in the same category, though. Has "datum" ever been used as the singular of data in English? I'm under the impression that data in its current meaning was introduced into English as a technical term and has been a collective noun from the beginning. Maybe I'm wrong.

And "millenia" being accepted as singular, as if "millenium" is such an unknown word? Bizarre! And a sad reflection of the subsiding general level of education around us.

Wanderer

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brian on May 12, 2023, 08:27:11 PMWoke is like a term I mentioned earlier in this thread, in that it had a very specific, clear, useful meaning but was hijacked by political people who now use it to mean "anything they dislike"
Yep.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

FWIW, I typically use "no worries" (when I do use the expression, in response to "excuse me."
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Wanderer

Quote from: Florestan on May 13, 2023, 11:18:12 AMHah!

How do you say that in Greek?

The standard answer to "thank you" is παρακαλώ (parakaló - remember the alpha pronunciation tip above).
In English, that would be closer to (but not the same as) "much obliged"; it's analogous to the French "Je vous en prie".

Florestan

Quote from: Wanderer on May 13, 2023, 11:41:03 AMThe standard answer to "thank you" is παρακαλώ (parakaló - remember the alpha pronunciation tip above).
In English, that would be closer to (but not the same as) "much obliged"; it's analogous to the French "Je vous en prie".

Yes to the French analogy, because afaik parakalo is also used as "please". And now that I think of it, it's also analogous to the German "Bitte".

Florestan

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 13, 2023, 11:40:10 AMFWIW, I typically use "no worries" (when I do use the expression, in response to "excuse me."

That use makes sense.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Brian on May 13, 2023, 06:39:47 AMI like to read reviews and imagine that everyone has been conked on the head and is wandering around truly stunned  ;D
Journalists get tired of using the same words over and over and try to find new ones to mix things up. But often this makes their language worse rather than better!

As a food writer I have examples of that too. Particularly the word "restaurant". The "GOP" equivalent there is to try to invent new words for restaurants, like "eatery," "kitchen," or even "spot" or "joint." It is all a bit silly but nobody ever says "eatery" in real life.
Cafe, bistro, tavern and inn are good ones too.  ;D  And, yes, I've never asked a friend "So would you like to check out the new eatery?"

Quote from: VonStupp on May 13, 2023, 07:00:11 AMEach new school year (in the US), I am suddenly introduced to a handful of new slang terms from my students. The last few years, I have taken exception to many new slang terms, as young people are reappropriating words that already have meanings.

Off the top of my head, the last year or so it has been - bussing/bussin, fire, sussy, drippy, slay, extra, zesty, swag, and I hear them all the time.

In return, my students are required to use random words such as hoosegow, defenestration, gallimaufry, peregrinate, antidisestablimentarianism, pyriform, for example, in return for wasting my time acquiring their vapid slang terms. ;D

VS
So they are bussing tables?!  :o

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on May 13, 2023, 01:43:14 AMI don't know where it has come from, the right wing press call left wing activists in high places religious leaders, civil servants and such like The Blob.
I have not heard that term before.  Is it something particularly English?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Holden

Quote from: Brian on May 12, 2023, 08:27:11 PMI recently learned that there is a blues song from the 1920s with the lyrics "stay woke" - in the original meaning, which was that other people out there are threatening (particularly the kind of racists who would threaten a 1920s blues musician) and that the song's listener should keep one eye open to avoid being ambushed. It was very literal!

Woke is like a term I mentioned earlier in this thread, in that it had a very specific, clear, useful meaning but was hijacked by political people who now use it to mean "anything they dislike":

This from Wikipedia - don't know how accurate it is but as it attributes quotes directly to known song lyrics I'll accept as basically true

QuoteBlack American folk singer-songwriter Huddie Ledbetter, a.k.a. Lead Belly, used the phrase "stay woke" as part of a spoken afterword to a 1938 recording of his song "Scottsboro Boys", which tells the story of nine black teenagers and young men falsely accused of raping two white women in Alabama in 1931. In the recording, Lead Belly says he met with the defendant's lawyer and the young men themselves, and "I advise everybody, be a little careful when they go along through there (Scottsboro) – best stay woke, keep their eyes open."

QuoteThe Republican Party has been known as the GOP since the 1870's.

Now that I've found out what GOP means it's even sillier to use. Might just as well say 'good ol boys'.
Cheers

Holden

Irons

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on May 16, 2023, 06:55:31 AMhttps://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/the-blob-jonty-bloom/
Thanks!

And I had forgotten that Steve McQueen was in that movie; however, it's been decades since I've watched it.  ;D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter