Most overused/meaningless words/phrases in contemporary language

Started by Brahmsian, January 25, 2022, 06:01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

Quote from: ritter on January 27, 2022, 04:41:57 AM
Here in Spain, our current prime minister seems to have recently discovered the word "empathy", and he and his cabinet ministers are now using it in almost every statement or press conference, in whatever context, when part of the population is affected by some event (the pandemic, the eruption in La Palma, etc.). Needless to say, the term sounds hollowly sentimental, and usually just wants to mask a lack of a concrete plan for action.

And our press (written and, particularly, audiovisual) is increasingly applying the adjective 'historic" to any event, insignificant as it may be. The visit of any politician to a small provincial school becomes "historic", when the truth is it doesn't much interest even those who are in attendance, and will not merit a small footnote in any history book. The drop in unemployment in a specific month becomes "historic", because it showed 1000 more people found jobs than during the previous month. Of course, by now "historic" has become meaningless.

Yes, "historic". How could I not think of that one?  :D

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on January 27, 2022, 04:41:57 AM
Here in Spain, our current prime minister seems to have recently discovered the word "empathy", and he and his cabinet ministers are now using it in almost every statement or press conference, in whatever context, when part of the population is affected by some event (the pandemic, the eruption in La Palma, etc.). Needless to say, the term sounds hollowly sentimental, and usually just wants to mask a lack of a concrete plan for action.

Our former prime-minister, one of the worst ever since Romania had a prime-minister (and the competition has been particularly fierce in the last 5 years) never lost any opportunity to claim that this or that governmental action was "for the good of Romanians" or that it would result in "Romanians living better". It was all hogwash, of course.

QuoteAnd our press (written and, particularly, audiovisual) is increasingly applying the adjective 'historic" to any event, insignificant as it may be. The visit of any politician to a small provincial school becomes "historic", when the truth is it doesn't much interest even those who are in attendance, and will not merit a small footnote in any history book. The drop in unemployment in a specific month becomes "historic", because it showed 1000 more people found jobs than during the previous month. Of course, by now "historic" has become meaningless.

In Romania, one particular TV station uses "nuclear" (shorthand for "nuclear bomb") for whatever secret information they claim to have unearthed about this or that politician or this or that event. "Stay with us, this evening Antena 3 will throw the nuclear!" is a phrase that can be heard almost weekly.

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

ritter

And (again, here in Spain, but I presume elsewhere as well), any unfortunate event is nowadays labelled a "tragedy". A cat is run over by a scooter, it's "tragic". Someone loses a limb in a construction site accident, it's "tragic".

IMHO, Oedipus Rex is a tragedy, the 2004 tsunami was a tragedy, but an old lady being killed by a brick hitting her on the head is not a tragedy (terrible and sad as the event may be).

Roasted Swan

Quote from: ritter on January 27, 2022, 05:17:36 AM
And (again, here in Spain, but I presume elsewhere as well), any unfortunate event is nowadays labelled a "tragedy". A cat is run over by a scooter, it's "tragic". Someone loses a limb in a construction site accident, it's "tragic".

IMHO, Oedipus Rex is a tragedy, the 2004 tsunami was a tragedy, but an old lady being killed by a brick hitting her on the head is not a tragedy (terrible and sad as the event may be).

"thoughts and prayers" to everyone caught up in the "tragedy" (atheists need not apply....)

Jo498

I thought the "thoughts" in that phrase were for the non-theists.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: OrchestralNut on January 27, 2022, 03:15:08 AM
So true, Gurn.

Another irritating item for me is the amount of misspelled words in newspapers and internet news articles these days. Has anyone else noticed this? I know it is slightly off topic.

My premise: when there was that big migration from print to digital, the first people to lose their jobs in the big 'savings' move were the copy editors. Gotta figure, now that it's online, the stupid people need to be able to access it too, and spelling doesn't apparently matter to them anyway. I know that's mean, but it appears to reflect reality. :(

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Papy Oli

Olivier

Florestan

Actually, GMG has its share as well. "Pounds the table", "+ 1" (or any other figure), "runs for cover/hiding" and "chortle" are quite overused, although not entirely meaningless.  >:D

springrite

Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

vandermolen

'actioned'
'slippy' (it should be 'slippery')
'flagged up'
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Biffo

I could produce a long list....at the top of it would be 'refute', it is used by slimy politicians when they mean 'deny' (and they are invariably lying).

Starting every sentence with 'So,....'

We don't have crises any more, only 'existential' ones

Iconic.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Biffo on March 01, 2022, 08:04:10 AM
I could produce a long list....at the top of it would be 'refute', it is used by slimy politicians when they mean 'deny' (and they are invariably lying).

Starting every sentence with 'So,....'

We don't have crises any more, only 'existential' ones

Iconic.

I'll add one: when a politician starts off a sentence with "Look..."

For example:

https://www.youtube.com/v/ooi9rfFUcic

vandermolen

'hit the ground running'

'Doesn't suffer fools gladly' (said as if it's a virtue, although IMO it invariably refers to someone who is an arrogant git).

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Holden

Cheers

Holden

vers la flamme

"Intersectional"

"That hits different." Really not a fan of this one, though it's mostly people younger than me who use it. Different from what?

vandermolen

Mirror Image

Quote from: Holden on March 01, 2022, 12:18:10 PM
The one I hate the most - Influencer!

Yes! I hate this one, too. It's just another word used by narcissists to further elevate themselves. Our society is filled with these kinds of people. For example, they take thousands of pictures of themselves on their cellphones and don't have the common decency to actually look up at the person they're with while eating dinner. I see this all of the time!

Daverz

Quote from: OrchestralNut on January 25, 2022, 06:01:20 AM

Do Your Research - The meaning and significance of this statement has lost any kind of relevance.

The meaning is perfectly clear in context.  It means "Search the internet for any nonsense that affirms your prejudices."  And if your research doesn't affirm my prejudices, you obviously did it wrong!