Your top 5 favorite nationalities regarding composers

Started by Symphonic Addict, February 10, 2022, 04:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

It's just for fun. The nationalities that cover most of your favorite composers, works and styles in general.

I, personally, include: Stravinsky and Myaskovsky as Russian, Franck as Belgian, Honegger as Swiss, Beethoven as German, and so on. As you feel it convenient.

Mine are (roughly in order or preferences):

Russian
German
British
Italian
Danish
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Let's see...

(In no particular order)

French (Debussy, Ravel, Fauré, Koechlin, Saint-Saëns, Milhaud, Poulenc, Roussel, Pierné, Schmitt, Varèse, Boulez, Grisey)
German (R. Strauss, Wagner, Hindemith, K. A. Hartmann, Henze, Mendelssohn)
Austrian (Mahler, Schoenberg, Berg, Webern, Zemlinsky, Bruckner, Korngold, Haydn, Schubert)
Russian (Stravinsky, Prokofiev, Shostakovich, Scriabin, Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninov, Mussorgsky, Rimsky-Korsakov, Glazunov, Lyadov, Schnittke, Gubaidulina)
Czech (Martinů, Janáček, Dvořák, Smetana, Schulhoff, Haas)
Polish (Szymanowski, Lutosławski, Chopin, Panufnik, Penderecki, Tansman, Bacewicz)
Spanish (Falla, Albéniz, Gerhard)
Hungarian (Bartók, Liszt, Kodály, Ligeti)
Italian (Casella, Respighi, Dallapiccola, Malipiero, Mascagni, Verdi, Puccini)
Swiss (Honegger, F. Martin, Schoeck)

Special note:

With the exception of Ives, Barber, Copland or Carter, I don't listen to American composers much anymore and I don't listen to much British music either aside from Britten, Walton and Vaughan Williams. But don't feel a strong enough affinity overall to include these nationalities in my own list.

vandermolen

British (too many to mention)
Russian (too many to mention)
American (too many to mention)
Finnish (Sibelius, Madetoja, Salmenhaara, Kokkonen, Klami etc)
Swedish (Rosenberg, Pettersson, Peterson-Berger, Blomdahl, Nystroem, Wiren etc)
Estonian (Raid, Eller, Tubin, Sumera etc)
Czech (Novak, Suk, Kalabis, Kabelac, Martinu etc)
Icelandic (Leifs etc)
Irish (Potter etc)
French (Sauguet, Tournemire, Dutilleux etc)
Sorry, in a rush as off to work - may add to this list later.

My top three seem to be the 'Grand Alliance' of World War Two  8)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

Nationalities with too many names to mention:

German / Austrian (not sure they can be regarded as separate when it comes to nationality)
Russian
Italian
French
Spanish

One -hit-wonder nationalities:

Polish (Chopin)
Finnish (Sibelius)
Norwegian (Grieg)
Czech (Dvorak)
Hungarian (Bartok)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

foxandpeng

Brits
Nordics
Russians

North Americans
Other Continental Europeans

The Rest - New World, South America, the East

Almost nothing prior to 1900, nowadays.

Glaring current omission: France (apart from Onslow and Tournemire)
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

San Antone

Mirror Image

In addition to this list:

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 10, 2022, 05:00:56 PM
Let's see...

(In no particular order)

French (Debussy, Ravel, Fauré, Koechlin, Saint-Saëns, Milhaud, Poulenc, Roussel, Pierné, Schmitt, Varèse, Boulez, Grisey)
German (R. Strauss, Wagner, Hindemith, K. A. Hartmann, Henze, Mendelssohn)
Austrian (Mahler, Schoenberg, Berg, Webern, Zemlinsky, Bruckner, Korngold, Haydn, Schubert)
Russian (Stravinsky, Prokofiev, Shostakovich, Scriabin, Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninov, Mussorgsky, Rimsky-Korsakov, Glazunov, Lyadov, Schnittke, Gubaidulina)
Czech (Martinů, Janáček, Dvořák, Smetana, Schulhoff, Haas)
Polish (Szymanowski, Lutosławski, Chopin, Panufnik, Penderecki, Tansman, Bacewicz)
Spanish (Falla, Albéniz, Gerhard)
Hungarian (Bartók, Liszt, Kodály, Ligeti)
Italian (Casella, Respighi, Dallapiccola, Malipiero, Mascagni, Verdi, Puccini)
Swiss (Honegger, F. Martin, Schoeck)

I wanted to post an honorable mention to a combined grouping --- North and South Americans: Villa-Lobos, Ginastera, Revueltas and Chávez.

kyjo

In some sort of order:

1. Nordic (Danish/Finnish/Norwegian/Swedish) - I could see the argument for not grouping these countries together, but for me they share a similar musical ethos that's so appealing to me.
2. British
3. French (esp. Poulenc and Saint-Saens)
4. Russian (esp. Rachmaninoff and Prokofiev)
5. Czech
6. Austro/German
7. Swiss (small country, but it produced some great and underrated composers!)
8. Italian (esp. Respighi and Casella)
9. American (esp. Barber, Copland, and Hanson)
10. Latin/South American
11. Low Countries (Belgian/Dutch)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

André

From Nordic countries (same reasoning as Kyle's  ;))
French, incl. french-speaking Swiss (Honegger, Bloch) and Belgians (Ysaÿe, Franck, Lekeu, Jongen)
From the British Isles : English, Irish, Welsh, and Scottish.
From German-speaking countries.
From ex-USSR countries.
Italy
Poland

That's more than 10 countries already...  :-\

I also like composers from the Low Countries (including the flemish part of Belgium), Brazil, Spain, Hungary...

Symphonic Addict

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Interesting responses thus far. It could be said that I share many of your inclinations too. Simply it's tough to narrow. Music is great doesn't matter the location.

Noam Chomsky

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on February 11, 2022, 01:41:51 PM
Interesting responses thus far. It could be said that I share many of your inclinations too. Simply it's tough to narrow. Music is great doesn't matter the location.

To the bolded text: very true! :)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Lisztianwagner

Let's see, in no particular order:

Austrian
German
Russian
British
French
Nordic (I share Kyle and André's reasoning)
Czech
Hungarian
Polish
Italian

Honourable mentions: Spanish, American, Swiss.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Caucasus (Azerbaijan + Armenia)
Turkey
Belgium
Greece
U.S.A.

Florestan

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on December 13, 2022, 12:10:17 PMCaucasus (Azerbaijan + Armenia)
Turkey
Belgium
Greece
U.S.A.

I don't believe you. I simply don't.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Florestan on December 13, 2022, 12:44:24 PMI don't believe you. I simply don't.

You shouldn't believe in my intellect, but better believe in my preference.  ;D

Florestan

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on December 13, 2022, 01:20:00 PMYou shouldn't believe in my intellect, but better believe in my preference.  ;D

Touché.  :D

Please let us know what Azerbaijan, Armenian, Turkey, Belgian, Greek and U.S.A. composer(s) are your favorites. Thanks.

MN Dave

"The effect of music is so very much more powerful and penetrating than is that of the other arts, for these others speak only of the shadow, but music of the essence." — Arthur Schopenhauer

Maestro267

joachim

Austria (including Mozart, Haydn, Schubert Mahler)...
Germany (Beethoven, Mendelssohn, R Strauss, Schumann)...
Russia (and former USSR) (Tchaikovsky, Rimsky-Korsakov, Glazunov, Khachaturian, Gliere...)
France (Méhul, Grétry, Gossec, Onslow, Saint-George...)
Hungarian (Liszt, Kodaly, Bartok...)
Czechs Dvorak, Smetana, Vanhal...)