John Coltrane Interview

Started by JonSRB77, February 14, 2022, 05:51:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rene Asologuitar

Scion7

Unfortunately, this was during the period were he was badly addicted to heroin, and it shows.
After he cleaned up and formed the 'classic quartet,' his speech/diction and rhetoric was much clearer.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

vers la flamme

Quote from: Scion7 on November 14, 2022, 04:41:39 PMUnfortunately, this was during the period were he was badly addicted to heroin, and it shows.
After he cleaned up and formed the 'classic quartet,' his speech/diction and rhetoric was much clearer.

I definitely don't agree with this. His speech is plenty clear, he just speaks with a deep southern accent; nor is his "rhetoric" cloudy, at least from what part of this I've heard so far. In any case, he had quit using drugs over a year before the recording of this interview. Given how few recordings of Trane expressing his thoughts exist, any interview he did that still exists is a treasure in my book.

Scion7

Quote from: vers la flamme on January 05, 2023, 04:09:50 PMI definitely don't agree with this. His speech is plenty clear, he just speaks with a deep southern accent; nor is his "rhetoric" cloudy, at least from what part of this I've heard so far. In any case, he had quit using drugs over a year before the recording of this interview. Given how few recordings of Trane expressing his thoughts exist, any interview he did that still exists is a treasure in my book.
Well, of course any Coltrane statements are "gold."  However, from the four biographies I have on him, he was still addicted at this time.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

vers la flamme

Quote from: Scion7 on January 06, 2023, 07:51:01 AMWell, of course any Coltrane statements are "gold."  However, from the four biographies I have on him, he was still addicted at this time.

Please cite more specifically, as the bio I just finished reading and every other source I can find on a quick internet search specifies that he'd cleaned up by mid-1957.

Opus131

Every Coltrane interview i've listened to he sounds withdrawn, soft spoken and even shy, which is a stark contrast to his playing which is visceral and explosive.