The Music Room > Composer Discussion

Sir Arnold Bax

(1/242) > >>

tjguitar:
Bax needs a thread on the new forums...here are some of my favorite Bax CDs, clearly I'm a fan of the "ORCHESTRAL WORKS" series on Chandos :):

I also have the two CD's of string quartets on Naxos but apparently amazon doesn't have fullsize images of those. I'm hoping for a Chandos re-issue of the Piano Quintet, or a naxos recording, I currently have a live recording of the piece that was sent to me from a member from the Bax mailing list, which is quite good. It's one of my favorite chamber pieces which unfortunately is well out of print.

By the way, there are some upcoming Bax CD's from Lyrita: In May SRCD.233 which will contain Symphonies 2 & 5; In June SRCD.296 which will contain the Overtures 'To Adventure', 'Rogues Comedy' and 'Work In Progress', Irish Landscape and Symphony No. 6. 

Chandos also has a 2nd disc of Handley conducted Tone Poems recorded last december but it is not scheduled for release yet, probably in '08

Harry:
The Chandos line up is marvelous and almost all I have.
Also Naxos has a impressive catalogue already, with fine recordings of the chambermusic, that are quickly making a name in the business as excellent examples of Bax genius. So worth while to check that out. At least I bought all the chamber music, and can confirm their excellence.

vandermolen:
The Chandos CD with "Christmas Eve", "Nympholept" (better than the Naxos version), "Paen" etc on is my favourite Bax CD.

tjguitar:

--- Quote ---By the way, there are some upcoming Bax CD's from Lyrita: In May SRCD.233 which will contain Symphonies 2 & 5; In June SRCD.296 which will contain the Overtures 'To Adventure', 'Rogues Comedy' and 'Work In Progress', Irish Landscape and Symphony No. 6.

--- End quote ---

In case some of you were interested, I emailed Lyrita last week and they told me the following:

Dear Sir,

The release schedule has shuffled a bit - SRCD.296 is still planned
for June this year, SRCD.233 has now moved to January next year.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Caractacus Downes
webmaster

Don:
Thank goodness for Lyrita, Naxos and Chandos; Bax would just be a blip on the screen without them.

It does make me wonder why the so-called majors have never invested much in Bax.  After all, they've put out a ton of mind-numbing Vivaldi.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version