Author Topic: Sir Arnold Bax  (Read 163462 times)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
Re: Sir Arnold Bax
« Reply #1040 on: June 29, 2020, 02:45:05 AM »
Personally I favour the even-numbered symphonies over the odd.
Which is the opposite to Malcolm Arnold for me where I prefer the odd numbered ones.
As for Bax I'd go along with the above recommendations although I actually like all of them. My favourites list would be:
3,5,7,4,1,2,6 (many, however, consider No.6 to be the greatest and 4 and 7 to be the weakest).
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Roasted Swan

« Reply #1041 on: June 29, 2020, 02:47:32 AM »
Thanks much, boys. I will check out 3, 5 & 6, and probably stick w/ Naxos for now. I've never bought a Lyrita recording. I'm sure there are gems in that catalogue, but they can be quite expensive per individual volume.

Fair enough - but worth remembering with the Naxos series you get 1 symphony per disc (+ fillers of course), with Lyrita you get 2.  And they really are much finer performances and recordings.....

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #1042 on: June 29, 2020, 03:01:40 AM »
Fair enough - but worth remembering with the Naxos series you get 1 symphony per disc (+ fillers of course), with Lyrita you get 2.  And they really are much finer performances and recordings.....
The Lyritas are the ones to have I agree, although I don't consider Del Mar's recording of Symphony No.6 up to the same standard as the recording by Myer Fredman and Raymond Leppard of symphonies 1,2,5 and 7. A pity that they never recorded 3 and 4 because alternative LP recordings already existed.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).