Sir Arnold Bax

Started by tjguitar, April 15, 2007, 06:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on October 07, 2020, 05:33:21 PM
The other day I was listening to this disc:

His choral works seem to get few mentions. Certainly pleasant music, especially when you want to indulge yourself with opulent orchestrations and lush harmonies and sonorities. Enchanted Summer for two sopranos, chorus and orchestra was the highlight (and the longest work on the CD). These works represent Bax with a "happy" facet. Don't expect warlike or belligerent passages here.

Your comment about the choral music as it relates to the works accompanied by orchestra is fair.  Enchanted Summer is very much the choral equivalent of Spring Fire but predates that early(ish) work by another 3 years so its hard to hear much mature Bax in it.  Part of the problem is its scale; 28 minutes is not enough for a half of a concert even but the writing both for orchestra and especially chorus is brutally hard and unforgiving.  On this recording the Brighton Festival Chorus ladies rarely sound comfortable and that is Bax's fault not theirs.  The writing sits unrelentingly high for most amateur singers.

Of course, Bax's GREAT choral music is his unaccompanied works which are in a different league all together.  Both Mater Ora Filium and This Worlde's Joie are genuine masterpieces, the equal of any British choral music from the time

Biffo

Quote from: Roasted Swan on October 08, 2020, 03:35:51 AM
Your comment about the choral music as it relates to the works accompanied by orchestra is fair.  Enchanted Summer is very much the choral equivalent of Spring Fire but predates that early(ish) work by another 3 years so its hard to hear much mature Bax in it.  Part of the problem is its scale; 28 minutes is not enough for a half of a concert even but the writing both for orchestra and especially chorus is brutally hard and unforgiving.  On this recording the Brighton Festival Chorus ladies rarely sound comfortable and that is Bax's fault not theirs.  The writing sits unrelentingly high for most amateur singers.

Of course, Bax's GREAT choral music is his unaccompanied works which are in a different league all together.  Both Mater Ora Filium and This Worlde's Joie are genuine masterpieces, the equal of any British choral music from the time

I agree completely. I listened to this work over the weekend and struggled to finish it - a deeply unpleasant experience. I didn't post on the subject as I had nothing positive to say. I didn't enjoy Walsinghame either.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Biffo on October 08, 2020, 04:36:43 AM
I agree completely. I listened to this work over the weekend and struggled to finish it - a deeply unpleasant experience. I didn't post on the subject as I had nothing positive to say. I didn't enjoy Walsinghame either.

As it happened later this afternoon I listened to the Naxos/Lloyd-Jones Symphony No.1 disc which includes "In the Faery Hills" and the utterly great "Garden of Fand".  Of course, all composers 'progress' as they mature but goodness me, the difference between Bax circa 1911 and 1916 is huge.  "Fand" is such a 'complete' work - every effect and musical gesture judged to perfection.  Unalloyed delight from start to end.  I'm not the biggest fan of Lloyd-Jones' cycle but this was a very strong start......

vandermolen

This interests me for the original piano version of 'Nympholept':

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2020/Oct/Bax-piano-USK1236CD.htm
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on October 15, 2020, 10:50:22 AM
This interests me for the original piano version of 'Nympholept':

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2020/Oct/Bax-piano-USK1236CD.htm

I hadn't realised until I heard this disc that "The Happy Forest" actually predates the three famous tone poems.  That's because the orchestral version of Happy Forest was completed in the 20's so I assumed it was composed then as well.  Placing it a decade earlier makes it much more significant in Bax's development and it forms a link from Spring Fire to Garden of Fand.

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on October 15, 2020, 02:17:11 PM
I hadn't realised until I heard this disc that "The Happy Forest" actually predates the three famous tone poems.  That's because the orchestral version of Happy Forest was completed in the 20's so I assumed it was composed then as well.  Placing it a decade earlier makes it much more significant in Bax's development and it forms a link from Spring Fire to Garden of Fand.
Interesting indeed. Relating to the discussion above I've never liked any choral music that I've heard by Bax and the same goes for the Violin and Cello Concerto. The Garden of Fand is enjoyable but not a favourite of mine either. I much prefer some of the lesser-known works like Nympholept (and I'm looking forward to hearing the piano version) as well as Christmas Eve as well as the better known Tintagel and November Woods. I hope to listen to Spring Fire over the w'end, which I have no memory of. The great revelation to me, through this forum, has been the epic Piano Quintet. Over the past few days I've been playing the also epic 'Symphonic Variations' (Naxos and Chandos recording) with much pleasure - I need to have another go with Winter Legends.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Greatly enjoying the poetic and atmospheric 'Spring Fire', the opening of which reminded me of another favourite 'Nympholept':

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on October 21, 2020, 12:31:14 AM
Greatly enjoying the poetic and atmospheric 'Spring Fire', the opening of which reminded me of another favourite 'Nympholept':

It is a very good performance in vintage Chandos sound.....

Irons

We now know who are invaders amongst us from planet "Bax". ;D
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Irons on October 21, 2020, 08:12:17 AM
We now know who are invaders amongst us from planet "Bax". ;D

;D :D ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

vandermolen

I hadn't realised how good the Lloyd-Jones recording of Symphony No.4 is. I listened to it today and thought that it was the best I have heard.

relm1

Quote from: vandermolen on October 26, 2020, 12:25:50 PM
I hadn't realised how good the Lloyd-Jones recording of Symphony No.4 is. I listened to it today and thought that it was the best I have heard.

Yes it's a good series.  Between it and Chandos/Bryden Thomson, a perfect series. 

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on October 26, 2020, 03:55:42 PM
Yes it's a good series.  Between it and Chandos/Bryden Thomson, a perfect series.
Yes, the Thomson, with the Ulster Orchestra, is fabulous as well. I must listen to some other in the Lloyd-Jones series. I recall that No.6 was a highlight and IMO much better (at least in relation to the recording) than the Del Mar performance on Lyrita, which for decades was the only one available.

springrite

Quote from: vandermolen on October 16, 2020, 06:56:51 AM
Over the past few days I've been playing the also epic 'Symphonic Variations' (Naxos and Chandos recording) with much pleasure - I need to have another go with Winter Legends.

The Symphonic Variations is one of my favorite work from Bax. Winter Legends is another favorite, especially in snowy days when I am driving.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

vandermolen

Quote from: springrite on October 26, 2020, 11:52:06 PM
The Symphonic Variations is one of my favorite work from Bax. Winter Legends is another favorite, especially in snowy days when I am driving.

Pleased to hear this Paul. There is not much discussion here of the Symphonic Variations but I rate it very highly. It's more of a symphony than a piano concerto. I have the recordings on Chandos and Naxos as well as the old Joyce Hatto recording (a genuine one this time) and I like them all.

springrite

Quote from: vandermolen on October 27, 2020, 12:08:43 AM
Pleased to hear this Paul. There is not much discussion here of the Symphonic Variations but I rate it very highly. It's more of a symphony than a piano concerto. I have the recordings on Chandos and Naxos as well as the old Joyce Hatto recording (a genuine one this time) and I like them all.

Well,it is the first major work in the Bax Cohen romance after all.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

vandermolen

Quote from: springrite on October 27, 2020, 12:13:44 AM
Well,it is the first major work in the Bax Cohen romance after all.
Good point! I hadn't realised that.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on October 26, 2020, 12:25:50 PM

I have ordered the 5th. Doubly pleased as an unbelievable bargain at £2.91 including postage! But even better, the seller is a hospice charity.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on October 28, 2020, 11:26:17 AM
I have ordered the 5th. Doubly pleased as an unbelievable bargain at £2.91 including postage! But even better, the seller is a hospice charity.
Excellent!  :)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vandermolen on October 27, 2020, 12:08:43 AM

Nowadays I am listening to the piano concerti by Vladigerov, as well as Orchestral Works vol.1, from Capriccio.  A reviewer at Musicweb indicates that the PC No. 4 by Vladigerov, possibly my favorite pc by V, resembles the Symphonic Variations. I must listen to the latter carefully  :) :).

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2020/Sep/Vladigerov-PCs-C8060.htm