Sir Arnold Bax

Started by tjguitar, April 15, 2007, 06:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on November 18, 2020, 07:28:23 PM
Nowadays I am listening to the piano concerti by Vladigerov, as well as Orchestral Works vol.1, from Capriccio.  A reviewer at Musicweb indicates that the PC No. 4 by Vladigerov, possibly my favorite pc by V, resembles the Symphonic Variations. I must listen to the latter carefully  :) :).

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2020/Sep/Vladigerov-PCs-C8060.htm

Interesting! Coincidentally I've recently been enjoying the 1st Symphony by Vladigerov - a fine new discovery.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vandermolen on November 18, 2020, 09:34:02 PM
I've recently been enjoying the 1st Symphony by Vladigerov - a fine new discovery.
Me too. Dynamic and opulent.  :)

relm1

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: relm1 on November 19, 2020, 04:21:11 PM
Did he only compose one symphony?

No. 2 symphonies and many orchestral and concerti works. Some of them are below.
My apology for talking about Vladigerov on this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lM8svv3T_Q_fFv2OMeTWBNg5f7EvQ6DkY

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mN4NfN9fAIl4hZT7HUc83SGR_daGnCQnk

Symphonic Addict

https://www.youtube.com/v/wkGPPrDgwyg

Sounds like a lovely performance of my favorite tone poem by him.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on November 27, 2020, 05:36:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/v/wkGPPrDgwyg

Sounds like a lovely performance of my favorite tone poem by him.

Yes, it's one of my favourites too Cesar and surprisingly little known.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Symphonic Addict

If Bax only had composed the Piano Quintet in G minor, it would be enough to consider him a truly brilliant composer. The Celtic air is felt through its eloquent lines, just an appetizer. His masterpiece in the chamber form.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 12, 2020, 03:15:17 PM
If Bax only had composed the Piano Quintet in G minor, it would be enough to consider him a truly brilliant composer. The Celtic air is felt through its eloquent lines, just an appetizer. His masterpiece in the chamber form.
+1 Absolutely!

vandermolen

I was pleased to see that Bax's 3rd Symphony (LSO/Downes) has been loaded up on You Tube in 2020. It is otherwise unavailable except on a second-hand LP (usually inexpensively).

You get 'The Happy Forest' at the start - the Symphony No.3 (in my favourite performance) begins about 11 minutes in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-bUEH4F5oc

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on January 06, 2021, 05:53:11 AM
I was pleased to see that Bax's 3rd Symphony (LSO/Downes) has been loaded up on You Tube in 2020. It is otherwise unavailable except on a second-hand LP (usually inexpensively).

You get 'The Happy Forest' at the start - the Symphony No.3 (in my favourite performance) begins about 11 minutes in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-bUEH4F5oc

There a re several very interesting and valuable off-air recordings of Bax Symphonies on YouTube (and the violin concerto and various tone poems too).  All uploaded courtesy of Robin Barber.  Lots of people have uploaded the various studio recordings which is great but these ex-BBC Radio performances are real treasures

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on January 07, 2021, 12:28:20 AM
There a re several very interesting and valuable off-air recordings of Bax Symphonies on YouTube (and the violin concerto and various tone poems too).  All uploaded courtesy of Robin Barber.  Lots of people have uploaded the various studio recordings which is great but these ex-BBC Radio performances are real treasures

Good to know - thanks RS. Somewhere I have a copy of Vernon Handley conducting Symphony No.3 and November Woods (with the BBC Northern SO I think) which someone kindly copied for me many years ago along with the Downes performance.

relm1

Quote from: vandermolen on January 07, 2021, 01:02:14 AM
Good to know - thanks RS. Somewhere I have a copy of Vernon Handley conducting Symphony No.3 and November Woods (with the BBC Northern SO I think) which someone kindly copied for me many years ago along with the Downes performance.

I prefer the Bryden Thomson to the Vernon Handley.  What do you think of that one?
https://www.chandos.net/products/catalogue/CHAN%208454

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on January 07, 2021, 05:55:18 AM
I prefer the Bryden Thomson to the Vernon Handley.  What do you think of that one?
https://www.chandos.net/products/catalogue/CHAN%208454
I very much agree with you. The Thomson series is generally strong IMO.

My favourite Bax 3rd Symphony recordings are:

Downes LSO (RCA)
Thomson LPO (Chandos)
Barbirolli Hallé (EMI/Dutton)

Roasted Swan

There is a Facebook Group for Arnold Bax enthusiasts.  Richard Adams is a regular poster as he is on YouTube where he uploads really interesting off-air recordings he has made.  Recently he uploaded a stunning performance of Spring Fire conducted by Mark Elder in Chicago.  This performance pre-dates Elder's Proms or Halle recordings and to be honest it is better than either.  Pardon the pun but its wonderfully firey and also sensual in a way quite unlike any other British music written at this time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CedIUlwVha0&t=1s

If you like this work do listen to this version - possibly the best recording available.  On a slight tangent it does make me wonder quite why Bax a) didn't push hard for performances in his own lifetime b) moved away from this impressionist style to something craggier c) what love affair was he involved in at the time to write such music! (Bax's greatest music is nearly always linked to his current passionate involvement.....)

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 09, 2021, 02:18:15 AM
There is a Facebook Group for Arnold Bax enthusiasts.  Richard Adams is a regular poster as he is on YouTube where he uploads really interesting off-air recordings he has made.  Recently he uploaded a stunning performance of Spring Fire conducted by Mark Elder in Chicago.  This performance pre-dates Elder's Proms or Halle recordings and to be honest it is better than either.  Pardon the pun but its wonderfully firey and also sensual in a way quite unlike any other British music written at this time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CedIUlwVha0&t=1s

If you like this work do listen to this version - possibly the best recording available.  On a slight tangent it does make me wonder quite why Bax a) didn't push hard for performances in his own lifetime b) moved away from this impressionist style to something craggier c) what love affair was he involved in at the time to write such music! (Bax's greatest music is nearly always linked to his current passionate involvement.....)
Interesting RS. I remember that Richard Adams, many years ago, made a CD copy of Downes's recording of Bax's 3rd Symphony and also an off-air recording of an early Vernon Handley recording (not the one now on Chandos). I remember trying to get 'Forgotten Records' or 'Bearac Reissues' to issue the Downes recording but there were huge copyright issues which prevented it. Lyrita were, at one time, interested - especially as the conductor's son worked there but nothing came of it and there has never been a CD release.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on April 09, 2021, 10:59:20 PM
Interesting RS. I remember that Richard Adams, many years ago, made a CD copy of Downes's recording of Bax's 3rd Symphony and also an off-air recording of an early Vernon Handley recording (not the one now on Chandos). I remember trying to get 'Forgotten Records' or 'Bearac Reissues' to issue the Downes recording but there were huge copyright issues which prevented it. Lyrita were, at one time, interested - especially as the conductor's son worked there but nothing came of it and there has never been a CD release.

There is a "cleaned-up" version of the Downes LP on YouTube from him now as well.  I remember my old LP copy having real pressing issues - weren't those RCA Gold Label discs pressed in Italy or something on pretty dodgy vinyl?  I never owned the original 'red label' release.  I didn't realise a the time that most of the RCA engineering/production in the UK was done for them by Decca which is why technically they were well recorded.  I downloaded the YouTube recording so at least I have an OK - if low bit rate - representation of that disc now.

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 09, 2021, 11:12:26 PM

There is a "cleaned-up" version of the Downes LP on YouTube from him now as well.  I remember my old LP copy having real pressing issues - weren't those RCA Gold Label discs pressed in Italy or something on pretty dodgy vinyl?  I never owned the original 'red label' release.  I didn't realise a the time that most of the RCA engineering/production in the UK was done for them by Decca which is why technically they were well recorded.  I downloaded the YouTube recording so at least I have an OK - if low bit rate - representation of that disc now.
Yes, I think you're right. Lol (Irons) is very well-informed on these issues. My university library in the mid 1970s had a Red Seal LP which I played over and over again in their 'Listening Room' on headphones. I then bought the reissue which was not as good a pressing.

Irons

At the best of times the LP is not an exact science and when it comes to pressings even more so. Here is not the place to go deeply in the subject but the RCA Bax and my experience in obtaining a decent copy is fairly typical. I obtained over time three English pressings (left) and discarded each. After one false start I found a mint Italian copy that sounds superb. I was so pleased with it that I later acquired another Italian pressing of English music.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Irons on April 10, 2021, 12:58:30 AM

At the best of times the LP is not an exact science and when it comes to pressings even more so. Here is not the place to go deeply in the subject but the RCA Bax and my experience in obtaining a decent copy is fairly typical. I obtained over time three English pressings (left) and discarded each. After one false start I found a mint Italian copy that sounds superb. I was so pleased with it that I later acquired another Italian pressing of English music.

I remember getting the RCA/Red Seal box of Tjeknavorian/National PO/Borodin

(hadn't seen that box cover in decades - but very familiar!).  A great set and one where not everything has made it to CD - I think Mlada, The Petite Suite and the Nocturne have never appeared on silver disc.  But putting the LP's on my record deck - they were so warped!  The first set went back and the 2nd was only slightly better.  A shame because the performances and the engineering were very good.  Still one of my favourite versions of the 2nd Symphony and much better than Tjeknavorian's ASV remake

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 10, 2021, 01:16:50 AM
I remember getting the RCA/Red Seal box of Tjeknavorian/National PO/Borodin

(hadn't seen that box cover in decades - but very familiar!).  A great set and one where not everything has made it to CD - I think Mlada, The Petite Suite and the Nocturne have never appeared on silver disc.  But putting the LP's on my record deck - they were so warped!  The first set went back and the 2nd was only slightly better.  A shame because the performances and the engineering were very good.  Still one of my favourite versions of the 2nd Symphony and much better than Tjeknavorian's ASV remake
Tjeknavorian's LSO/RCA LP of Khachaturian's First Symphony, which never made it to CD, is incomparably better than his later recording on ASV.