Sir Arnold Bax

Started by tjguitar, April 15, 2007, 06:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

Quote from: Irons on March 29, 2022, 07:43:31 AM
A recording that launched the good ship Chandos into the digital era. Not the first, I recall a Hamilton Harty recording amongst others, but the most important. I am pretty sure the second CD purchase I made in the early 1980's. A copy I still own (see below) and my introduction to British composers with a name that didn't begin with V and E. "November Woods" is my favourite Bax work but only this recording. Other recordings, including Sir Adrian, sound limp and flaccid compared to the tautness and drive of Thomson.

Quote from: Papy Oli on March 29, 2022, 07:55:18 AM
A gorgeous recording indeed.

The Garden of Fand is a personal favourite.

More love for this recording  8)

aligreto

I have just finished listening to Vol. 2 of the Handley/Thompson series on Chandos:

Spring Fire [Handley] I have always liked the musical language and the various atmospheres created by Bax. We have some rather enchanting and atmospheric music in Spring Fire. We also have terrific orchestration on display.

Northern Ballad No. 2 [Handley] This is a sombre toned, atmospheric and powerful work. There are wonderful orchestral sweeps and flurries on display along with passages of eloquent lyricism. A terrific work.

Northern Ballad No. 3 [Thompson] This is another very atmospheric work with great and wonderful orchestral sweeps. Once again, Bax's ability as an orchestrator comes to the fore.

Mediterranean [Thompson] This one is a short, light and cheery Lollipop.

Symphonic Scherzo [Handley] This is a powerful and atmospheric work that is also very well driven. It also shows how the orchestra could be used by Bax.

I thought that it was another excellent CD of Bax's music from Chandos.

Mirror Image

Quote from: aligreto on April 14, 2022, 05:36:33 AM
I have just finished listening to Vol. 2 of the Handley/Thompson series on Chandos:

Spring Fire [Handley] I have always liked the musical language and the various atmospheres created by Bax. We have some rather enchanting and atmospheric music in Spring Fire. We also have terrific orchestration on display.

Northern Ballad No. 2 [Handley] This is a sombre toned, atmospheric and powerful work. There are wonderful orchestral sweeps and flurries on display along with passages of eloquent lyricism. A terrific work.

Northern Ballad No. 3 [Thompson] This is another very atmospheric work with great and wonderful orchestral sweeps. Once again, Bax's ability as an orchestrator comes to the fore.

Mediterranean [Thompson] This one is a short, light and cheery Lollipop.

Symphonic Scherzo [Handley] This is a powerful and atmospheric work that is also very well driven. It also shows how the orchestra could be used by Bax.

I thought that it was another excellent CD of Bax's music from Chandos.

Spring Fire may very well be my favorite work from Bax.

vandermolen

This is my favourite of that mid-price Chandos series (actually one of my favourite Bax discs), especially for 'Nympholept' (best performance on disc IMO), Festival Overture (much better that the title suggests) and the moving Christmas Eve in the Mountains; Paen is also good fun. It's a pity that Thomson's very fine performance of Tintagel was replaced by some lesser works when the recording was reissued. The original (full-price) disc had a better cover image as well:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

aligreto

Quote from: vandermolen on April 14, 2022, 09:47:45 AM
This is my favourite of that mid-price Chandos series (actually one of my favourite Bax discs), especially for 'Nympholept' (best performance on disc IMO), Festival Overture (much better that the title suggests) and the moving Christmas Eve in the Mountains; Paen is also good fun. It's a pity that Thomson's very fine performance of Tintagel was replaced by some lesser works when the recording was reissued. The original (full-price) disc had a better cover image as well:

Sounds good, Jeffrey. I look forward to getting to that one eventually.

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on April 14, 2022, 10:30:12 AM
Sounds good, Jeffrey. I look forward to getting to that one eventually.
Although the works are not very well known I think that it's a great introduction to Bax's music. I hope that you enjoy it Fergus.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

aligreto

Quote from: vandermolen on April 14, 2022, 12:11:23 PM
Although the works are not very well known I think that it's a great introduction to Bax's music. I hope that you enjoy it Fergus.

Less well known works are all the more reason to go there, Jeffrey  8)

Symphonic Addict

Hadn't paid attention to Overture, Elegy and Rondo before and revisiting it at the moment. Poetry, atmosphere, fine orchestration are words that come to mind whilst I give it a listen. Not a masterpiece, but it has good merits to be heard.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 25, 2022, 05:40:36 PM

Hadn't paid attention to this work before and revisiting it at the moment. Poetry, atmosphere, fine orchestration are words that come to mind whilst I give it a listen. Not a masterpiece, but it has good merits to be heard.
Which work do you mean Cesar?

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on May 25, 2022, 10:32:52 PM
Which work do you mean Cesar?

Oops, sorry, Jeffrey. It's the Overture, Elegy and Rondo. I forgot mentioning it here.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Not to be missed IMO (Symphony No.2 - live broadcast, Tintagel). Performances of incredible energy and urgency.

vandermolen

Turned on my car radio on my way back from the gym this evening ( 0:) 54 lengths of the swimming pool at a rather slow pace). Anyway, continuing this watery theme I was delighted to catch most of Bax's 'Tintagel' live from the Proms. It sounded like a very good performance (the ubiquitous John Wilson with the Sinfonia of London - maybe they will do a Bax CD). After the performance the Radio 3 presenter commented that after Bax's death in 1953 'Tintagel' was the only one of his works still performed. Things improved (a bit) at the time of the Centenary of Bax's birth in 1983, thanks to recordings made by Vernon Handley, Bryden Thomson and David Lloyd-Jones of the symphonies and tone poems (at around that time I remember attending a performance of Bax's 5th symphony in a largely empty Albert Hall). Still, good to hear Tintagel this evening.

Biffo

Quote from: vandermolen on July 16, 2022, 11:43:37 AM
Turned on my car radio on my way back from the gym this evening ( 0:) 54 lengths of the swimming pool at a rather slow pace). Anyway, continuing this watery theme I was delighted to catch most of Bax's 'Tintagel' live from the Proms. It sounded like a very good performance (the ubiquitous John Wilson with the Sinfonia of London - maybe they will do a Bax CD). After the performance the Radio 3 presenter commented that after Bax's death in 1953 'Tintagel' was the only one of his works still performed. Things improved (a bit) at the time of the Centenary of Bax's birth in 1983, thanks to recordings made by Vernon Handley, Bryden Thomson and David Lloyd-Jones of the symphonies and tone poems (at around that time I remember attending a performance of Bax's 5th symphony in a largely empty Albert Hall). Still, good to hear Tintagel this evening.

Sir John Barbirolli first conducted Bax in 1927 (Romantic Overture) and included The Tale the Pine Trees Knew in his first New York Philharmonic concert. He championed Bax in his Halle concerts (though not as much as RVW and Elgar). In 1953 he conducted Symphonies Nos 5 & 6, Tintagel and the Concertante for
Orchestra with Left-Hand Piano solo - this may have been a response to the composer's death. After 1954 he conducted Bax less frequently - only Tintagel and The Garden of Fand and a single performance of the Violin Concerto. He also conducted an Oboe Concerto he arranged from the Oboe Quintet. I suppose he kept the flame alive (just).

I don't know how often Boult, Sargent and others conducted Bax.

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on July 17, 2022, 03:33:45 AM
Sir John Barbirolli first conducted Bax in 1927 (Romantic Overture) and included The Tale the Pine Trees Knew in his first New York Philharmonic concert. He championed Bax in his Halle concerts (though not as much as RVW and Elgar). In 1953 he conducted Symphonies Nos 5 & 6, Tintagel and the Concertante for
Orchestra with Left-Hand Piano solo - this may have been a response to the composer's death. After 1954 he conducted Bax less frequently - only Tintagel and The Garden of Fand and a single performance of the Violin Concerto. He also conducted an Oboe Concerto he arranged from the Oboe Quintet. I suppose he kept the flame alive (just).

I don't know how often Boult, Sargent and others conducted Bax.
Interesting to know. Thanks. I heard somewhere that a recording exists of Barbirolli conducting Bax's 6th Symphony. If so it would be great if the Barbirolli Society could issue it on CD - I would love to hear it. It is a shame that Bax (compared to VW for example) is so rarely performed. I like 'The Tale the Pine Trees Knew' but am less keen on 'The Garden of Fand' which I find a bit twee.

Biffo

Quote from: vandermolen on July 17, 2022, 11:21:15 PM
Interesting to know. Thanks. I heard somewhere that a recording exists of Barbirolli conducting Bax's 6th Symphony. If so it would be great if the Barbirolli Society could issue it on CD - I would love to hear it. It is a shame that Bax (compared to VW for example) is so rarely performed. I like 'The Tale the Pine Trees Knew' but am less keen on 'The Garden of Fand' which I find a bit twee.

Barbirolli conducted the 6th Symphony five times - the last time was on 26 August 1953 in a concert from the RAH, presumably a Prom. It was broadcast by the BBC so if a recording exists it is likely to be this performance,

JB didn't seem to share your view of The Garden of Fand, he conducted it sixteen times, more than any other Bax work, cf. Tintagel (10) and The Tale the Pine Trees Knew (11).

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on July 18, 2022, 02:20:59 AM
Barbirolli conducted the 6th Symphony five times - the last time was on 26 August 1953 in a concert from the RAH, presumably a Prom. It was broadcast by the BBC so if a recording exists it is likely to be this performance,
JB didn't seem to share your view of The Garden of Fand, he conducted it sixteen times, more than any other Bax work, cf. Tintagel (10) and The Tale the Pine Trees Knew (11).
Thank you - that would be a great release.
Coincidentally I've just ordered the David Lloyd Jones Naxos recording of Symphony No.1, which seems to have passed me by until now. The Garden of Fand is one of the couplings.

Biffo

Quote from: vandermolen on July 18, 2022, 04:26:55 AM
Thank you - that would be a great release.
Coincidentally I've just ordered the David Lloyd Jones Naxos recording of Symphony No.1, which seems to have passed me by until now. The Garden of Fand is one of the couplings.

I started to collect the Naxos/Lloyd Jones cycle (Nos 1,2,3 & 6) but then bought the complete Chandos/Handley set instead. Perhaps I should complete the Naxos cycle or at least give the ones I have a spin.

aligreto

I have just finished listening to this CD:

The Tale the Pine-Trees Knew [Thompson]
This is alternatively a spirited and an atmospheric presentation and it shows the orchestration skills of Bax to very good effect. Thompson has a very good sense of the drama and energy that is inherent in the work and he drives it all very well yet also reveals all of the wonderful details in the score.

Into the Twilight [Thompson]
I really like the tone, mood and atmosphere in the music of Bax and this here is no exception. This music is deeply atmospheric and evocative. Thompson brings out these moods, atmospheres and the orchestral colours and sonorities wonderfully well without being in any way sentimental in the least.

In the Faery Hills [Thompson]
This is another one of Bax's works that is filled with wonderful atmosphere, on this occasion more on the lighter side for the most part when compared with other works of his, but it does also have its dark moments too. It also demonstrates, to me, his prowess in orchestration.

Roscatha [Thompson]
This is a very fine work. I very much like the declamatory tone and nature of the work. I also like the sense of both drama and the occasional tension that is on show here. I am an admirer of Bax's orchestration in general and it is also well served here. I particularly like the scoring for the lower register instruments in this work.

A Legend [Thompson]
Here is another wonderfully atmospheric work from the pen of Bax. His signature is all over it with its powerful and dramatic writing, its wonderful evocative, atmospheric tones along with his consummate sound painting abilities. I constantly find that his scoring for the lower register instruments to be very engaging and effective. There is also a wonderful sense of power and drive in this work particularly towards the conclusion of the work.

On The Sea Shore [Handley]
This is my first time hearing this short work. I do not know the provenance of the work but I do know that it is orchestrated by someone other than Bax himself here. It sounds pretty good to me.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: aligreto on July 20, 2022, 03:06:38 AM
I have just finished listening to this CD:

The Tale the Pine-Trees Knew [Thompson]
This is alternatively a spirited and an atmospheric presentation and it shows the orchestration skills of Bax to very good effect. Thompson has a very good sense of the drama and energy that is inherent in the work and he drives it all very well yet also reveals all of the wonderful details in the score.

Into the Twilight [Thompson]
I really like the tone, mood and atmosphere in the music of Bax and this here is no exception. This music is deeply atmospheric and evocative. Thompson brings out these moods, atmospheres and the orchestral colours and sonorities wonderfully well without being in any way sentimental in the least.

In the Faery Hills [Thompson]
This is another one of Bax's works that is filled with wonderful atmosphere, on this occasion more on the lighter side for the most part when compared with other works of his, but it does also have its dark moments too. It also demonstrates, to me, his prowess in orchestration.

Roscatha [Thompson]
This is a very fine work. I very much like the declamatory tone and nature of the work. I also like the sense of both drama and the occasional tension that is on show here. I am an admirer of Bax's orchestration in general and it is also well served here. I particularly like the scoring for the lower register instruments in this work.

A Legend [Thompson]
Here is another wonderfully atmospheric work from the pen of Bax. His signature is all over it with its powerful and dramatic writing, its wonderful evocative, atmospheric tones along with his consummate sound painting abilities. I constantly find that his scoring for the lower register instruments to be very engaging and effective. There is also a wonderful sense of power and drive in this work particularly towards the conclusion of the work.

On The Sea Shore [Handley]
This is my first time hearing this short work. I do not know the provenance of the work but I do know that it is orchestrated by someone other than Bax himself here. It sounds pretty good to me.

As ever very interesting to read your impressions so thankyou for sharing.  I have always felt that Bryden Thomson's early Bax recording in Ulster were his very finest - most of these particular pieces are taken from those early discs.  FYI - On the Sea-Shore was orchestrated by the brilliant and much missed Bax scholar Graham Parlett and is taken from an interlude to an incomplete opera called Deidre from around 1908.  The Prologue had an independent ife as "Into the Twilght" which is on this disc as well.  The march from the same opera became Rosc-catha......

aligreto

Quote from: Roasted Swan on July 20, 2022, 04:29:57 AM
As ever very interesting to read your impressions so thankyou for sharing.  I have always felt that Bryden Thomson's early Bax recording in Ulster were his very finest - most of these particular pieces are taken from those early discs.  FYI - On the Sea-Shore was orchestrated by the brilliant and much missed Bax scholar Graham Parlett and is taken from an interlude to an incomplete opera called Deidre from around 1908.  The Prologue had an independent ife as "Into the Twilght" which is on this disc as well.  The march from the same opera became Rosc-catha......

Thank you very much for that helpful and interesting information. I very much appreciate it.
Yes, there does seem to be an empathy between Thomson and the Ulster Orchestra which is a fine ensemble in my opinion.