Sir Arnold Bax

Started by tjguitar, April 15, 2007, 06:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on January 18, 2023, 04:17:14 PMThat was excellent.  He was such an expert on this type of music.

It makes me want to revisit all the symphonies.  What are your thoughts on my preferred list of recordings?
Symphony No. 1:    Vernon Handley
Symphony No. 2:    Fredman or Bryden Thomson
Symphony No. 3:    Edward Downes or Bryden Thomson
Symphony No. 4:    Bryden Thomson
Symphony No. 5:    Leppard
Symphony NO. 6:    Lloyd Jones
Symphony NO. 7:    Lloyd Jones

I largely agree with your choices although I would definitely choose Leppard for No.7. I'll have to listen to Vernon Handley's recording of the 1st Symphony which I hardly recall. I like Goossens's historic recording of No.2 and prefer Bostock in No.6 to Del Mar, although Lloyd Jones or Thomson would be my first choice. I would not choose Handley as my first choice in any Bax (or VW) symphony. Actually I rather like Handley's earlier (Guildford Philharmonic) recording of the 4th Symphony which, for a long time was the only one available. I regret that Lyrita never recorded the 4th or 3rd Symphony.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Albion

Yep, that's the new Naxos (beautifully) re-packaged Bax symphony cycle bought. If the bailiffs knock on the door next month for the rent I'll simply concuss them with the last movement of No.4...

;D
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

Albion

Quote from: Albion on January 24, 2023, 11:36:37 AMYep, that's the new Naxos (beautifully) re-packaged Bax symphony cycle bought. If the bailiffs knock on the door next month for the rent I'll simply concuss them with the last movement of No.4...

;D

It has landed! Naxos are a wonderful label and their repackaging is intelligent (unlike Warner, Sony, etc.) and beautifully produced. They've kept all of the original couplings which means that you get the best of Bax's tone poems as well. Glorious!!!

;D
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Albion on January 25, 2023, 05:38:57 PMIt has landed! Naxos are a wonderful label and their repackaging is intelligent (unlike Warner, Sony, etc.) and beautifully produced. They've kept all of the original couplings which means that you get the best of Bax's tone poems as well. Glorious!!!

;D
Lovin' it! Giving a second listen to the Fourth this evening.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Albion

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 25, 2023, 06:29:54 PMLovin' it! Giving a second listen to the Fourth this evening.

It's an incredible achievement by Lloyd-Jones (as was his Stanford symphony cycle) who sadly left us last year. Forget the "major" labels. Naxos, Hyperion, Chandos, BIS, CPO, Dutton, Toccata, Somm etc. are where the real quality is...

vandermolen

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 25, 2023, 06:29:54 PMLovin' it! Giving a second listen to the Fourth this evening.
Nympholept on that CD is a very atmospheric work, although I marginally prefer Thomson's interpretation.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Albion

Quote from: vandermolen on January 25, 2023, 10:43:36 PMNympholept on that CD is a very atmospheric work, although I marginally prefer Thomson's interpretation.

The Thomson tone poems were generally far better recorded than the symphonies (for some reason). "Nympholept" is simply a gorgeous score and we are so lucky to have alternative versions on disc. I agree: in the symphonies (other than 4) go for Handley or Lloyd-Jones or Lyrita, in the tone poems generally go to Thomson...

;D

vandermolen

Quote from: Albion on January 25, 2023, 11:51:20 PMThe Thomson tone poems were generally far better recorded than the symphonies (for some reason). "Nympholept" is simply a gorgeous score and we are so lucky to have alternative versions on disc. I agree: in the symphonies (other than 4) go for Handley or Lloyd-Jones or Lyrita, in the tone poems generally go to Thomson...

;D
I remember Nympholept being used as background music for a TV documentary about JRR Tolkien many years ago. The CD below is arguably my favourite Bax disc. When it was reissued by Chandos at mid-price they unfortunately replaced Thomson's fine 'Tintagel' with a less interesting work. I like Thomson's recording of the 6th Symphony, more than most, and its fine companion the 'Festival Overture' (also featured on the disc below) which, despite its unpromising title, is an engaging and ultimately moving score.

Albion

Quote from: vandermolen on January 26, 2023, 12:04:34 AMI remember Nympholept being used as background music for a TV documentary about JRR Tolkien many years ago. The CD below is arguably my favourite Bax disc. When it was reissued by Chandos at mid-price they unfortunately replaced Thomson's fine 'Tintagel' with a less interesting work. I like Thomson's recording of the 6th Symphony, more than most, and its fine companion the 'Festival Overture' (also featured on the disc below) which, despite its unpromising title, is an engaging and ultimately moving score.

Both the Festival Overture and Paean are just such good riotous fun. Like the Overture to a Picaresque Comedy they show a side to Bax that is not always acknowledged. People tend to dwell on the dreamy, Celtic twilight aspect which infuses much of his music, but he could certainly party...

;D

Irons

Bax as viewed by an American music publication in 1924.

http://landofllostcontent.blogspot.com/2023/02/arnold-bax-pen-portrait-by-john-f-porte.html

Premier of the 7th Symphony with Sir Adrian Boult conducting New York Philharmonic.

https://youtu.be/TwxbSiJpeOg

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

relm1

Quote from: Irons on February 23, 2023, 11:45:50 PMBax as viewed by an American music publication in 1924.

http://landofllostcontent.blogspot.com/2023/02/arnold-bax-pen-portrait-by-john-f-porte.html

Premier of the 7th Symphony with Sir Adrian Boult conducting New York Philharmonic.

It is crazy that people thought Tintagel was "harsh and strange". 

Irons

Quote from: relm1 on February 24, 2023, 05:55:03 AMIt is crazy that people thought Tintagel was "harsh and strange". 

Got 'November Woods' right though.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Albion

Quote from: Irons on February 24, 2023, 06:19:41 AMGot 'November Woods' right though.

One of the best of the tone poems. Bax was a sheer genious when it came to creating atmosphere. The best of the bunch are handily covered in the newly-reissued Naxos box with David Lloyd-Jones. On BBC R3 "Essential Classics" this morning they played "Walsinghame" which was a treat (again, nobody will ever hear it in concert). I'm still lobbying Chandos to sort out their Bax catalogue and box it up (so that I don't keep losing bits of it)...

::)

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Been listening to Bax again and I've noticed a couple of curious things.

1. Symphony #2 is listed as being "in E minor and C major." What's up with that? I've never seen a symphony listed as being in two keys at once.

2. Have you ever noticed that the opening of Symphony #3 is almost exactly the same as that of Bartok's Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta? And I believe Bax's symphony predates the Bartok by a few years.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Maestro267

Symphony No. 2 starts in E minor and ends in C major. Lots of 20th century symphonies employ progressive tonality but this is the only one I know of that actually lists it as such in the name of the work.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Irons on February 23, 2023, 11:45:50 PMPremier of the 7th Symphony with Sir Adrian Boult conducting New York Philharmonic.

And, part of the '39 World's Fair too. Very nice!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Maestro267

I remembered today that Winter Legends exists. Why don't I listen to this more often? It's an incredible piece, wonderfully and Baxfully orchestrated!

vandermolen

Quote from: Maestro267 on April 21, 2023, 06:04:44 AMI remembered today that Winter Legends exists. Why don't I listen to this more often? It's an incredible piece, wonderfully and Baxfully orchestrated!
Good idea!  :)

Albion

Quote from: Maestro267 on April 21, 2023, 06:04:44 AMI remembered today that Winter Legends exists. Why don't I listen to this more often? It's an incredible piece, wonderfully and Baxfully orchestrated!

I know! I've got Bax buried under another bloody tower of CDs which is (as usual) close to perilous collapse. I've got all the Naxos, Lyrita and Chandos issues somewhere but can I find them..? I'll have another try later.

vandermolen

Quote from: Albion on April 21, 2023, 09:25:59 AMI know! I've got Bax buried under another bloody tower of CDs which is (as usual) close to perilous collapse. I've got all the Naxos, Lyrita and Chandos issues somewhere but can I find them..? I'll have another try later.

Can we see a photo?  ;D