Sir Arnold Bax

Started by tjguitar, April 15, 2007, 06:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on August 09, 2018, 06:29:13 AM
Sorry to hear about your friend, Jeffrey. What better way to find solace than in the warmth and intimacy of chamber music. I agree, Bax's Piano Quintet belongs in the ranks of similarly epic and poetic works in the medium by Bartók, Brahms, Bloch (no. 1), Franck, Ornstein, Shostakovich, Taneyev, Vierne, and Weinberg.
Thank you Kyle. Much appreciated.
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: vandermolen on August 09, 2018, 01:28:36 AM
Cesar and Kyle, I can't tell you how much I have enjoyed discovering this Piano Quintet - what an epic. I would say that it is actually one of my favourite works by Bax and ranks, in my view, with those by Shostakovich, Bloch, Weinberg and Schnittke although obviously a very different kind of work. I have been listening to it continuously since I obtained the Chandos recording (I must hear the Ashley Wass version on Naxos as well). Maybe circumstances have something to do with it as a very good friend from my college days is terminally ill and I don't want to listen to orchestral music so much these days (notwithstanding Simpson's 9th Symphony) - don't know why. Sibelius is about the only composer whose music I can usually listen to regardless as to how I am feeling - something to do with its connection with nature perhaps. However I have found much comfort listening to this poetic, legendary and soulful work by Bax. Probably too much information - but why not? Anyway thank you.

Glad to know you have found delightment galore with the Bax. Otherwise, I'm so sorry for your friend. I'm really sure the best memories will prevail between you.

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on August 09, 2018, 11:07:25 AM
Glad to know you have found delightment galore with the Bax. Otherwise, I'm so sorry for your friend. I'm really sure the best memories will prevail between you.
Thank you Cesar for the kind words. The Bax has been a wonderful discovery and I don't understand how I never appreciated it before. The Naxos recording which I've had since 2011 according to Amazon maybe didn't make such an impression on me although some prefer it. A review I read of the Chandos recording points out that it brings out the Celtic aspects of the quintet more strongly than the alternative version.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Relax with Bax

I've been listening to my 2 Bax CDs (Naxos, Symphonies 2 & 3) for the first time in a long time. I'd forgotten how much I liked this music and now I want to explore more. Questions on particular discs:

1. Is the Handley symphony set worth getting if I have the above 2 symphonies already? or should I just get another Naxos or two? Also, some people have complained about the Chandos sound - anyone have objections to it?

A comparison of Chandos with Naxos would be appreciated.

2. If I want only 1 (one) disc of the chamber music, is the Hyperion with the Nonet etc. the one I should get?
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

relm1

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on January 07, 2019, 02:33:23 PM
Relax with Bax

I've been listening to my 2 Bax CDs (Naxos, Symphonies 2 & 3) for the first time in a long time. I'd forgotten how much I liked this music and now I want to explore more. Questions on particular discs:

1. Is the Handley symphony set worth getting if I have the above 2 symphonies already? or should I just get another Naxos or two? Also, some people have complained about the Chandos sound - anyone have objections to it?

2. If I want only 1 (one) disc of the chamber music, is the Hyperion with the Nonet etc. the one I should get?

They are both so good (sorry wrong answer I'm sure).  I would characterize the Handley set as preferred because it sounds more opulent and wet (in terms of reverb) which fits the rich sonics better.   The Naxos I find more precise and less lush.  If I had to pick one, for Bax it would be Chandos/Handley but you won't go wrong with either.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on January 07, 2019, 02:33:23 PM
Relax with Bax

To the 2nd question:

That Hyperion CD is clearly one of the best about his chamber music. You won't go wrong if you get it.

I recommend this CD too:

The String Quintet is perhaps the least interesting work on it, but the others are just beautiful.

vandermolen

Sorry to cloud the issue but I think that the two Lyrita CDs featuring symphonies 1 and 7 and 2 and 5 are unsurpassed.
[asin]B0012XDFPG[/asin]
The Lyrita CD featuring Bax's Symphony 6 under Norman Del Mar is, in my opinion, not as good as the Naxos version which would be my No.1 choice (Lloyd Jones). I think that Raymond Leppard and Myer Fredman were much better conductors of the music of Bax than Vernon Hadley or Norman Del Mar (whom I saw conduct a truly awful performance of 'A Pastoral Symphony' by Vaughan Williams). If you want a box set I'd go for the Bryden Thompson which is consistently good and No.4 is best of all I think.

That Hyperion CD of chamber music is wonderful and I absolutely love the Harp Quintet. Thanks to Cesar and Kyle I have discovered Bax's Piano Quintet which is terrific - a most moving and powerful score.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: vandermolen on January 08, 2019, 11:15:26 AM
Sorry to cloud the issue but I think that the two Lyrita CDs featuring symphonies 1 and 7 and 2 and 5 are unsurpassed.
[asin]B0012XDFPG[/asin]
The Lyrita CD featuring Bax's Symphony 6 under Norman Del Mar is, in my opinion, not as good as the Naxos version which would be my No.1 choice (Lloyd Jones). I think that Raymond Leppard and Myer Fredman were much better conductors of the music of Bax than Vernon Hadley or Norman Del Mar (whom I saw conduct a truly awful performance of 'A Pastoral Symphony' by Vaughan Williams). If you want a box set I'd go for the Bryden Thompson which is consistently good and No.4 is best of all I think.

That Hyperion CD of chamber music is wonderful and I absolutely love the Harp Quintet. Thanks to Cesar and Kyle I have discovered Bax's Piano Quintet which is terrific - a most moving and powerful score.

Oh yes, any of the CDs that contains the Piano Quintet is mandatory too. Again, my pleasure for bringing it to your ears!

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on January 08, 2019, 05:28:40 PM
Oh yes, any of the CDs that contains the Piano Quintet is mandatory too. Again, my pleasure for bringing it to your ears!

kyjo

It's hard to beat this Naxos CD which couples the equally excellent Bax and Bridge piano quintets in fine performances:

[asin]B0043XCKSU[/asin]
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: relm1 on January 07, 2019, 03:51:47 PM
They are both so good (sorry wrong answer I'm sure).  I would characterize the Handley set as preferred because it sounds more opulent and wet (in terms of reverb) which fits the rich sonics better.   The Naxos I find more precise and less lush.  If I had to pick one, for Bax it would be Chandos/Handley but you won't go wrong with either.

I am hesitant about Handley for two reasons. I found complaints about the sound, notably in this detailed German review (http://www.klassik-heute.com/4daction/www_medien_einzeln?id=15108) but also occasionally elsewhere. But other listeners seem to love the sound, so it's hard to tell. It's interesting that you describe the sonics as "opulent" while the German reviewer calls them "dry as dust" (staubtrocken).

Also, how good are symphonies 1, 4 and 7 really? They seem to be the critical non-favorites. Maybe I should just get the Naxos 5th and be content with that. (I had the Naxos 6th, but wasn't all that impressed with it)

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on January 09, 2019, 09:51:51 AM
It's hard to beat this Naxos CD which couples the equally excellent Bax and Bridge piano quintets in fine performances:

[asin]B0043XCKSU[/asin]
I've lent it to the Head of Music at the school where I work, having enthused wildly about it - so, I'm having to make do with the Chandos recording for now. They are both fine performances as far as I'm concerned.

kyjo

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on January 09, 2019, 10:02:12 AM
Also, how good are symphonies 1, 4 and 7 really? They seem to be the critical non-favorites. Maybe I should just get the Naxos 5th and be content with that. (I had the Naxos 6th, but wasn't all that impressed with it)

The 1st is actually my favorite Bax symphony - it's well-constructed and powerful with a chillingly atmospheric slow movement. I'm not too keen on the 4th - it has some interesting parts but seems too diffuse to my ears.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on January 09, 2019, 10:02:12 AM
I am hesitant about Handley for two reasons. I found complaints about the sound, notably in this detailed German review (http://www.klassik-heute.com/4daction/www_medien_einzeln?id=15108) but also occasionally elsewhere. But other listeners seem to love the sound, so it's hard to tell. It's interesting that you describe the sonics as "opulent" while the German reviewer calls them "dry as dust" (staubtrocken).

I like all the Bax symphonies although my favourites are 3 and 5. No.3 is IMHO the most poetic with a wonderfully tranquil Epilogue. No.5 is perhaps the most integrated of them all. 7 has an extraordinarily valedictory Epilogue which I find very moving, especially in Raymond Leppard's recording on Lyrita, which must have been the first recording of the work. 4 is not the greatest but I always enjoy hearing it.

Maestro267

This is the first time I've ever read about complaints about the Chandos sound. More often than not it's very highly praised.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Maestro267 on January 12, 2019, 03:58:09 AM
This is the first time I've ever read about complaints about the Chandos sound. More often than not it's very highly praised.

Yeah, which is why I was puzzled when I read dissenting opinions. I wonder if it's one of those recordings that sounds good on some equipment but not on others.

vandermolen

Quote from: Maestro267 on January 12, 2019, 03:58:09 AM
As far as the Bax boxed set is concerned my problem is with Handley's IMHO mediocre performances rather than the Chandos sound and my view is much the same with his Vaughan Williams cycle. However, I greatly admire his Bantock recordings and much else besides.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: vandermolen on January 12, 2019, 11:20:24 AM
As far as the Bax boxed set is concerned my problem is with Handley's IMHO mediocre performances rather than the Chandos sound and my view is much the same with his Vaughan Williams cycle.

What do you consider mediocre about his performances?

BTW I like what I've heard of his VW.

vandermolen

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on January 12, 2019, 11:27:01 AM
What do you consider mediocre about his performances?

BTW I like what I've heard of his VW.

I wrote a longish reply which disappeared into cyber space. Basically I think that Vernon Handley was a very good but not great conductor of either Bax or VW. From my subjective point of view there is nothing wrong with his performances but none of them would be a first choice either, except perhaps his earlier Guildford PO recording of Bax's 4th Symphony. Maybe it's because I was brought up with Boult, Previn and Barbirolli in VW and Barbirolli, Downes, Leppard and Fredman in Bax that I feel this way. His 'Job' is excellent and those harps at the end of VW Symphony 9 are very special. In general I do, however, prefer Bryden Thompson's cycle of the Bax and VW symphonies. I will try to listen to Handley's Bax cycle again.

relm1

Quote from: vandermolen on January 12, 2019, 03:11:26 PM
I wrote a longish reply which disappeared into cyber space. Basically I think that Vernon Handley was a very good but not great conductor of either Bax or VW. From my subjective point of view there is nothing wrong with his performances but none of them would be a first choice either, except perhaps his earlier Guildford PO recording of Bax's 4th Symphony. Maybe it's because I was brought up with Boult, Previn and Barbirolli in VW and Barbirolli, Downes, Leppard and Fredman in Bax that I feel this way. His 'Job' is excellent and those harps at the end of VW Symphony 9 are very special. In general I do, however, prefer Bryden Thompson's cycle of the Bax and VW symphonies. I will try to listen to Handley's Bax cycle again.

I agree with you.  I find Bryden Thompson's RVW and Bax superior to Vernon Handley though it still is a very fine recording.  The performance by Thompson just fits the music better IMO and is how I envision the way it should sound.