Sir Arnold Bax

Started by tjguitar, April 15, 2007, 06:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aukhawk

Quote from: Irons on February 05, 2019, 08:11:07 AM
I am surprised, although perhaps I shouldn't be, that with all the Bax symphony cycles during the CD era - I can think of at least three - the Lyrita recordings still hold sway on this forum. Well done guys. ;)

Regardless of performance, the first 2 (Myer Fredman conducting) were demonstration-quality recordings in their day.  I love them.

Quote from: vandermolen on February 04, 2019, 07:59:16 AM
With Malcolm Arnold it's also the odd numbered symphonies which I like more + No.6.

I could say the same about Beethoven!  ;D

vandermolen

Interesting-looking new release. The Sonata uses the same thematic material as two movements from the 1st Symphony. I'm interested to see compositions by Harriet Cohen as well:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2019/Feb/Bax_piano_SOMMCD0193.htm
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on February 21, 2019, 12:36:54 AM
Interesting-looking new release. The Sonata uses the same thematic material as two movements from the 1st Symphony. I'm interested to see compositions by Harriet Cohen as well:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2019/Feb/Bax_piano_SOMMCD0193.htm

Stunning version of the Symphony/Sonata - best yet.  It uses more than just material in the outer movements - its a straight orchestration of the this sonata as Symphony No.1.  Bax at his most explosively powerful....

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on February 21, 2019, 03:09:58 AM
Stunning version of the Symphony/Sonata - best yet.  It uses more than just material in the outer movements - its a straight orchestration of the this sonata as Symphony No.1.  Bax at his most explosively powerful....
I look forward very much to receiving it - thanks.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

This is indeed a beautifully played version. Fascinating to hear music, which I first came to know through the First Symphony, performed in their original piano arrangement:

vandermolen

Currently enjoying this. This recording was the reason why Lyrita never recorded Symphony 4. The Edward Downes recording of Symphony 3 on RCA was the reason why Lyrita, unfortunately never recorded that one either. At least the Guildford recording of Symphony 4 (which I like very much) is, unlike the Downes recording of Symphony 3, available on CD. As I mentioned on the WAYLTN thread it is one of the few genuine released from the company which perpetrated the Joyce Hatto recordings fraud. It's companion on this CD is Moeran's 'Serenade'.

Biffo

Quote from: vandermolen on March 03, 2019, 12:42:55 AM
Currently enjoying this. This recording was the reason why Lyrita never recorded Symphony 4. The Edward Downes recording of Symphony 3 on RCA was the reason why Lyrita, unfortunately never recorded that one either. At least the Guildford recording of Symphony 4 (which I like very much) is, unlike the Downes recording of Symphony 3, available on CD. As I mentioned on the WAYLTN thread it is one of the few genuine released from the company which perpetrated the Joyce Hatto recordings fraud. It's companion on this CD is Moeran's 'Serenade'.

I presume Lyrita thought the market couldn't bear more than one recording per symphony in those days. Barbirolli recorded No 3 (1943/44) but it was a bit elderly by then or even out of print.

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on March 03, 2019, 01:28:19 AM
I presume Lyrita thought the market couldn't bear more than one recording per symphony in those days. Barbirolli recorded No 3 (1943/44) but it was a bit elderly by then or even out of print.
I can't think of any other reason why they didn't record them and am sure you are right. I think that Barbirolli's pioneering recording was only reissued on LP later - so I think it was the Downes and Guildford/Handley version which discouraged Lyrita from recording those works - which was a pity for Bax admirers.

cilgwyn

Quote from: vandermolen on February 22, 2019, 03:35:59 AM
This is indeed a beautifully played version. Fascinating to hear music, which I first came to know through the First Symphony, performed in their original piano arrangement:

Strange! I'm listening to this cd,right now,and not having seen these posts,I was wondering whether you had heard this......and if not,why?!! ??? >:( ;D I don't think you are 'into' Bax's piano music (?) but this has to be fascinating,if you are an admirer of his First symphony. From what I'm hearing,it can also stand on it's own merits. I also think it gives you a bit more of an insight into the composers creative processes than that early,uncompleted effort. You remember that Dutton release?! (I think I will give it another go later,incidentally!)

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on March 03, 2019, 04:16:39 AM
Strange! I'm listening to this cd,right now,and not having seen these posts,I was wondering whether you had heard this......and if not,why?!! ??? >:( ;D I don't think you are 'into' Bax's piano music (?) but this has to be fascinating,if you are an admirer of his First symphony. From what I'm hearing,it can also stand on it's own merits. I also think it gives you a bit more of an insight into the composers creative processes than that early,uncompleted effort. You remember that Dutton release?! (I think I will give it another go later,incidentally!)

Your right about my lack of awareness of Bax's piano music. I think that I have a Naxos CD of it somewhere, however I don't recall it making that much of an impression on me. The work that really struck me, thanks to recommendations here,  is the Piano Quintet which I find marvellous.

Irons

Odd that without a rich tradition of chamber music (compared with orchestral works) two great Piano Quintets were produced by British composers - Bax and Elgar.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

kyjo

Quote from: Irons on March 03, 2019, 10:20:34 AM
Odd that without a rich tradition of chamber music (compared with orchestral works) two great Piano Quintets were produced by British composers - Bax and Elgar.

I also find the piano quintets of Bridge and Vaughan Williams to be really superb works, and amongst the finest in the genre.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

relm1

Quote from: Irons on March 03, 2019, 10:20:34 AM

Not odd.  They were very influenced by the Germans and French who had a rich tradition. 

Irons

Quote from: kyjo on March 03, 2019, 12:09:52 PM
I also find the piano quintets of Bridge and Vaughan Williams to be really superb works, and amongst the finest in the genre.

Good. I was hoping of some suggestions to prove me wrong. I was referring to all British chamber works not only Piano Quintets. Not heard the Bridge - I struggle with his string quartets. I will listen to RVW (Phantasy?) at the first opportunity.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Quote from: relm1 on March 03, 2019, 04:21:40 PM
Not odd.  They were very influenced by the Germans and French who had a rich tradition.

So were many other British composers - some much more so. That didn't stop decent British chamber works being thin on the ground.

vandermolen

+1

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on March 04, 2019, 01:29:15 AM
Good. I was hoping of some suggestions to prove me wrong. I was referring to all British chamber works not only Piano Quintets. Not heard the Bridge - I struggle with his string quartets. I will listen to RVW (Phantasy?) at the first opportunity.
OT

Kyle might mean this early work by VW (withdrawn?) which has been a lovely recent discovery:

Roasted Swan

I was going to add the Bridge!

Roasted Swan

On a different Bax thread - he enriched the harp repertoire significantly.  His Fantasy Sonata for Viola & Harp is a cracker.  This is an excellent disc

[asin]B00005J7D6[/asin]

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on March 04, 2019, 12:44:23 PM
On a different Bax thread - he enriched the harp repertoire significantly.  His Fantasy Sonata for Viola & Harp is a cracker.  This is an excellent disc

[asin]B00005J7D6[/asin]

Never seen that CD before - thanks for posting it. I love the Harp Quintet which, so far, along with the Piano Quintet is my favourite chamber work by Bax.