Sir Arnold Bax

Started by tjguitar, April 15, 2007, 06:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on July 17, 2019, 09:14:55 AM
That's a lovely photo of Bax which I've never seen before. Thanks for posting it Lol. Bax actually lived in 'The White Horse' pub in Storrington, not too far from here in his final years.There is a commemorative plaque on the outside of the pub and a few Baxian bits and pieces inside.

That looks a nice pub Jeffrey. No wonder Bax had a ruddy complexion living on the premises for twelve years!

The "Running Horse" a short walk from where I live is Elinor Rumming's ale house in the first portrait of Vaughan Williams "Five Tudor Portraits".
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on July 18, 2019, 12:00:19 AM
That looks a nice pub Jeffrey. No wonder Bax had a ruddy complexion living on the premises for twelve years!

The "Running Horse" a short walk from where I live is Elinor Rumming's ale house in the first portrait of Vaughan Williams "Five Tudor Portraits".
Interesting Lol. The Five Tudor Portraits is a work I have come to appreciate more in recent years.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

aukhawk

Thinks: "how am I going to get out of this tight corner?"

vandermolen

Quote from: aukhawk on July 18, 2019, 01:12:35 AM

Thinks: "how am I going to get out of this tight corner?"

Hahaha
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SymphonicAddict

Looking at the interesting photos shown here lately, I found this very cool one surfing on the web:

Three striking composers (Alwyn, Bax and Rubbra) + Barbiroli + an unknown gentleman for me.

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on July 20, 2019, 06:50:32 PM
Looking at the interesting photos shown here lately, I found this very cool one surfing on the web:

Three striking composers (Alwyn, Bax and Rubbra) + Barbiroli + an unknown gentleman for me.
It's the composer Bernard Stevens Cesar (composer of the 'Symphony of Liberation'). That nice photo also appears in the Dutton CD of Alwyns's first and second symphonies.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: vandermolen on July 20, 2019, 10:07:24 PM
It's the composer Bernard Stevens Cesar (composer of the 'Symphony of Liberation'). That nice photo also appears in the Dutton CD of Alwyns's first and second symphonies.

Good to know, Jeffrey. Thanks for the clarification.

relm1

Bax's Symphony No. 2 first movement is marked "Molto Moderato".  What the hell does that mean?  Strongly medium?  It's sort of like saying molto mezzo-piano.  That's a bit nonsensical.  Forcefully medium.   ??? :o ::) :-[

Irons

I think a large donation from an English music enthusiast must have been made to an Oxfam store I regularly visit. Spoilt for choice!
I am not entirely convinced by the Bax symphonies although enjoying his tone poems and chamber works. My main gripe is that they to my ears can become diffuse at times. The complete Bryden Thomson set for a tenner was too tempting even with my scepticism. Well, there is nothing diffuse about the first symphony, a powerful work where Bax lets rip!   
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on September 14, 2019, 01:08:10 AM
I think a large donation from an English music enthusiast must have been made to an Oxfam store I regularly visit. Spoilt for choice!
I am not entirely convinced by the Bax symphonies although enjoying his tone poems and chamber works. My main gripe is that they to my ears can become diffuse at times. The complete Bryden Thomson set for a tenner was too tempting even with my scepticism. Well, there is nothing diffuse about the first symphony, a powerful work where Bax lets rip!
What an extraordinary bargain Lol! That Oxfam store sounds like an Aladdin's Cave! I like all the Bax symphonies, notwithstanding their diffuseness and hope you enjoy investigating those fine performances.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on September 14, 2019, 01:18:06 AM
What an extraordinary bargain Lol! That Oxfam store sounds like an Aladdin's Cave! I like all the Bax symphonies, notwithstanding their diffuseness and hope you enjoy investigating those fine performances.

The world seems to have moved on from CD (as it did for LP) so there are some bargains to be had. :)

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Irons on September 14, 2019, 01:08:10 AM

Try his 5th Symphony. I consider it his most consistent, gripping and epic. 1 & 6 are my other favorites.

Irons

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on September 15, 2019, 08:09:56 AM
Try his 5th Symphony. I consider it his most consistent, gripping and epic. 1 & 6 are my other favorites.

Cheers. I will do that.

aukhawk

I think you're over-selling it.  Are gripping and epic really Baxian qualities?

vandermolen

Quote from: aukhawk on September 16, 2019, 12:33:53 AM

In the case of the 5th (and arguably the 6th) Symphony I think so, especially in Raymond Leppard's performance of No.5.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: aukhawk on September 16, 2019, 12:33:53 AM

I'm with Vandermolen on this.  "Epic" is one of those words where the meaning has become subverted to imply simply something on a large scale.  Picking an online defintion pretty much at random; "a long poem, typically one derived from ancient oral tradition, narrating the deeds and adventures of heroic or legendary figures or the past history of a nation" -yes length is part of it (Bax's symphonies are NOT that long) but certainly I think his music does allude to the other parts of that definition.  Don't forget one of the markings in the score of the 7th Symphony is "in legendary mood".  And personally I do find his music gripping but of course that is a much more subjective thing.

Maestro267

Listening to Symphony No. 7 (London PO/Leppard) and I have to say, this is the first time it's really clicking with me. There's some stunning moments of orchestration in this, particularly involving the brass.

vandermolen

Quote from: Maestro267 on September 16, 2019, 03:38:53 AM
Listening to Symphony No. 7 (London PO/Leppard) and I have to say, this is the first time it's really clicking with me. There's some stunning moments of orchestration in this, particularly involving the brass.

And that's the best performance IMO. I find the final sections very moving.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: vandermolen on September 16, 2019, 01:09:19 AM
In the case of the 5th (and arguably the 6th) Symphony I think so, especially in Raymond Leppard's performance of No.5.

Quote from: Roasted Swan on September 16, 2019, 02:27:22 AM
I'm with Vandermolen on this.  "Epic" is one of those words where the meaning has become subverted to imply simply something on a large scale.  Picking an online defintion pretty much at random; "a long poem, typically one derived from ancient oral tradition, narrating the deeds and adventures of heroic or legendary figures or the past history of a nation" -yes length is part of it (Bax's symphonies are NOT that long) but certainly I think his music does allude to the other parts of that definition.  Don't forget one of the markings in the score of the 7th Symphony is "in legendary mood".  And personally I do find his music gripping but of course that is a much more subjective thing.

I endorse these comments. When I think of 'epic', Bax is one of the composers who come to my mind. His music, or at least much of it, is imbued with that legendary/atmospheric/epic feel to it that I find so irresistible and fantastic. Maybe gripping not all the time, but epic, oh yes! Much more so. The 5th Symphony is really a winner in that regard. The last time when I listened to it, it blew me away. It's so consistently wonderful from the very beginning. And that slow movement is a real stunner. I consider that symphony one of my favorite British symphonies, along with VW's 2nd, Walton's 1st, Arnold's 5th, Elgar's 2nd and Brian's 1st.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Maestro267 on September 16, 2019, 03:38:53 AM

Interesting. More excuses to revisit his works.