Sir Arnold Bax

Started by tjguitar, April 15, 2007, 06:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on September 16, 2019, 11:45:03 AM
I endorse these comments. When I think of 'epic', Bax is one of the composers who come to my mind. His music, or at least much of it, is imbued with that legendary/atmospheric/epic feel to it that I find so irresistible and fantastic. Maybe gripping not all the time, but epic, oh yes! Much more so. The 5th Symphony is really a winner in that regard. The last time when I listened to it, it blew me away. It's so consistently wonderful from the very beginning. And that slow movement is a real stunner. I consider that symphony one of my favorite British symphonies, along with VW's 2nd, Walton's 1st, Arnold's 5th, Elgar's 2nd and Brian's 1st.
What a great list of favourite British symphonies!
I've probably asked you before Cesar but do you know the third symphonies of Arnell and Bate? Both excellent in my opinion.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on September 16, 2019, 11:45:03 AM
I endorse these comments. When I think of 'epic', Bax is one of the composers who come to my mind. His music, or at least much of it, is imbued with that legendary/atmospheric/epic feel to it that I find so irresistible and fantastic. Maybe gripping not all the time, but epic, oh yes! Much more so. The 5th Symphony is really a winner in that regard. The last time when I listened to it, it blew me away. It's so consistently wonderful from the very beginning. And that slow movement is a real stunner. I consider that symphony one of my favorite British symphonies, along with VW's 2nd, Walton's 1st, Arnold's 5th, Elgar's 2nd and Brian's 1st.

I think for a symphony to be "epic" is not to do with length or size but content. RVW "London" is not epic as it is a work concerning the human condition by a Londoner in London. I find Sibelius epic and the most epic symphony the shortest, the 7th. Mahler although epic in scale, I do not. Bax does concern himself with similar subjects as Sibelius and I was forcibly reminded of the latter in the wonderful first movement of Bax's 5th Symphony. Bax writes of seas and forests and he would not compose a "Cockaigne" or similar. So epic in my book.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Biffo

Quote from: Irons on September 17, 2019, 12:58:15 AM
I think for a symphony to be "epic" is not to do with length or size but content. RVW "London" is not epic as it is a work concerning the human condition by a Londoner in London. I find Sibelius epic and the most epic symphony the shortest, the 7th. Mahler although epic in scale, I do not. Bax does concern himself with similar subjects as Sibelius and I was forcibly reminded of the latter in the wonderful first movement of Bax's 5th Symphony. Bax writes of seas and forests and he would not compose a "Cockaigne" or similar. So epic in my book.

In 1937 Bax wrote A London Pageant for the Coronation of George VI. The booklet notes for the Chandos album conducted by Martyn Brabbins say 'The music is much more than a march and trio. Falling into various descriptive and evocative passages, it is more a tone poem than a pure concert march'. Sounds pretty similar to Cockaigne to me.

Bax has several works with  'Legend' in the title but is Tintagel that I would describe as 'epic'.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: vandermolen on September 16, 2019, 02:24:15 PM
What a great list of favourite British symphonies!
I've probably asked you before Cesar but do you know the third symphonies of Arnell and Bate? Both excellent in my opinion.

Yes, Jeffrey, I do! Almost all the Arnell symphonies are magnificent IMO, even his last one (and unfinished IIRC) Mandela has appealing qualities. Bate's 2 only recorded symphonies meant excitement and pleasure when I listened to them, but I am with you in preferring the 3rd.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Irons on September 17, 2019, 12:58:15 AM

Definitely 'epic' has different meanings and interpretations depending on each. For me, Mahler is epic, mostly in his symphonies 2 and 6 (my favorites btw). In general, I consider epic when there is a sort of depiction of something heroic or there is intense struggle through the music, often resulting in good triumphing over evil.

kyjo

Lately I was quite pleasantly surprised, even blown away, by Bax's Concertino for Piano and Orchestra (1939). Bax never orchestrated it, but fortunately Bax scholar Graham Parlett produced a very plausible orchestration which exhibits all the Baxian trademarks (prominent tuba lines, tambourine and snare drum rattles, etc.). It's much more a "concerto" than a "concertino", being epic in scope and intention. It's a superbly dark, dramatic, and imaginative work with lots of memorable ideas, even if the finale isn't completely convincing. It's also, in my view, Bax's most successful concertante work - I find some of the others rather discursive and unmemorable, though I enjoy Winter Legends and the Concertante for Piano Left-Hand well enough. It's available on the below Somm CD in an excellent performance and coupled quite appropriately with Ireland's haunting Legend - which it is strikingly similar to in mood - and his PC. Highly recommended to all Bax fans:

[asin]B002RB9JR0[/asin]

https://youtu.be/vzQ82OK1B38
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: kyjo on October 18, 2019, 09:19:04 AM
Lately I was quite pleasantly surprised, even blown away, by Bax's Concertino for Piano and Orchestra (1939). Bax never orchestrated it, but fortunately Bax scholar Graham Parlett produced a very plausible orchestration which exhibits all the Baxian trademarks (prominent tuba lines, tambourine and snare drum rattles, etc.). It's much more a "concerto" than a "concertino", being epic in scope and intention. It's a superbly dark, dramatic, and imaginative work with lots of memorable ideas, even if the finale isn't completely convincing. It's also, in my view, Bax's most successful concertante work - I find some of the others rather discursive and unmemorable, though I enjoy Winter Legends and the Concertante for Piano Left-Hand well enough. It's available on the below Somm CD in an excellent performance and coupled quite appropriately with Ireland's haunting Legend - which it is strikingly similar to in mood - and his PC. Highly recommended to all Bax fans:

[asin]B002RB9JR0[/asin]

This is promising because I also know practically all his concertante works and there are just a few of them I really like, being Winter Legends one of them, though not strictly concertante. The Cello Concerto is mildly good. The Fantasia for viola and orchestra has very nice music.

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on October 18, 2019, 09:19:04 AM

[asin]B002RB9JR0[/asin]

I largely agree with you Kyle and really enjoy that disc as well. However, I do like the Symphonic Variations, which I prefer to Winter Legends. I like the John Ireland couplings too in the disc above. Actually I prefer the 'Legend' to the much fabled Piano Concerto, possibly as a result of over-exposure to the latter.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on October 18, 2019, 11:41:58 AM
I largely agree with you Kyle and really enjoy that disc as well. However, I do like the Symphonic Variations, which I prefer to Winter Legends. I like the John Ireland couplings too in the disc above. Actually I prefer the 'Legend' to the much fabled Piano Concerto, possibly as a result of over-exposure to the latter.

I also prefer Ireland's Legend to his PC. I'll have to give the Bax Symphonic Variations another try, because they haven't resonated much with me in the past.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

Happy Birthday Sir Arnold!
'Dance in the Sunlight' on BBC Radio 3 this morning.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on November 07, 2019, 10:25:22 PM

Yes indeed. I listened to his 2nd Symphony last night without having any idea ........

Jeffrey, I now have on order the Chandos CD you gave a heads up earlier this week.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Roasted Swan

Yesterday I bought an antique autograph book which has both Bax and Cohen's signatures in it - indeed happy birthday Sir Arnold

Irons

Quote from: Roasted Swan on November 07, 2019, 11:33:32 PM
Yesterday I bought an antique autograph book which has both Bax and Cohen's signatures in it - indeed happy birthday Sir Arnold

Some people have all the luck. Well done for finding it.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on November 07, 2019, 11:36:07 PM
Some people have all the luck. Well done for finding it.
+1

Very jealous!

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on November 07, 2019, 11:33:20 PM
Yes indeed. I listened to his 2nd Symphony last night without having any idea ........

Jeffrey, I now have on order the Chandos CD you gave a heads up earlier this week.

Which one was that LOl?

Listened to the marvellous 'Piano Quintet' the other day.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on November 08, 2019, 02:11:58 AM
Which one was that LOl?

Listened to the marvellous 'Piano Quintet' the other day.

This -

Papy Oli

That was as good an excuse as any for me to purposely spend some time with Bax's tone poems today. Listened to:

In Memoriam
In the Faery Hills
Northern Ballad No.1
Northern Ballad No.2
Northern Ballad No.3
November Woods
Nympholept
The Garden of Fand
The Happy Forest
Tintagel

all maiden works to me (except November Woods i think) and I seem to have made nice progress on Bax with those. Was impressed with In Memoriam and the Northern Ballads. And if not clicking, I was at the very least quite intrigued by the soundscapes conveyed.

Now playing Spring Fire as well.

Olivier

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on November 08, 2019, 06:53:31 AM
This -

Ah, excellent! A fine disc. You'll enjoy it I'm sure.

kyjo

Quote from: Papy Oli on November 08, 2019, 07:59:39 AM
That was as good an excuse as any for me to purposely spend some time with Bax's tone poems today. Listened to:

In Memoriam
In the Faery Hills
Northern Ballad No.1
Northern Ballad No.2
Northern Ballad No.3
November Woods
Nympholept
The Garden of Fand
The Happy Forest
Tintagel

all maiden works to me (except November Woods i think) and I seem to have made nice progress on Bax with those. Was impressed with In Memoriam and the Northern Ballads. And if not clicking, I was at the very least quite intrigued by the soundscapes conveyed.

Now playing Spring Fire as well.

In Memoriam (the tone poem, not the chamber work of the same name) is one of my very favorite Bax works - I'm surprised it's not one of his most generally well-regarded works. It's full of such yearning, nobility, and genuine emotion - rather setting it apart from some of his lesser tone poems which concentrate too much on atmosphere alone.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: kyjo on November 08, 2019, 11:45:19 AM
In Memoriam (the tone poem, not the chamber work of the same name) is one of my very favorite Bax works - I'm surprised it's not one of his most generally well-regarded works. It's full of such yearning, nobility, and genuine emotion - rather setting it apart from some of his lesser tone poems which concentrate too much on atmosphere alone.

In Memoriam - The CHAMBER work is exceptionally fine too and written for a very unusual ensemble of quartet cor anglais and harp