Sir Arnold Bax

Started by tjguitar, April 15, 2007, 06:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

:) :) :)

You sort them out, Johan ;D

vandermolen

Quote from: Jezetha on October 16, 2008, 10:07:57 AM
In nine days' time wife and daughter will be confronting the combined might of the Two Johans - their defences will crumble. Back in Sussex, your wife and you will be fighting over who'll listen to the 'Gothic' first.

Can't wait  ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Hector

Quote from: Dundonnell on October 16, 2008, 06:06:46 AM
Surely if there are English-speaking 'nutters'(sorry, cognoscenti) here who appreciate lesser known French composers like Jean Cras or Philippe Gaubert there must be a few French people(at least) who appreciate British composers like Bax?

You wish!

An Anglophile?

But would they bother to write reviews on Amazon?

If I had the time and command of language I think that I would be tempted to promote British composers on International websites.

Who knows, perhaps I have 8)

Dundonnell

http://www.amazon.ca/Sir-Arnold-Bax-Concerto-Romantic/dp/B000000AO9

The review is written by a K.Farrington who gives his address as Missegre, France. Missegre is a village in Languedoc, west of Narbonne and north-west of Perpignan. So maybe 'twas he :)

vandermolen

I find that I listen to the two symphonies which are considered to be the weakest; No 4 and No 7 more than the others. No 7 is a wonderful work which, despite containing pre-echoes of the less-inspired 'ceremonial' Bax of later years, also harks back to the celtic/ twilight world of The Garden of Fand etc. Like Vaughan Williams's 9th Symphony it has a strange, magical atmosphere and the seascape at the end is very moving. All the Bax symphonies are of a very high standard (like Vaughan Williams's cycle). Oddly enough, my least favourite is No 6, which is considered to be the greatest by many. Maybe because I got to know it through Norman Del Mar's recording on Lyrita which, I think, is not as good as the recordings by Myer Fredman and Raymond Leppard of the other symphonies on the same label.

Here we are again at the 'favourite v greatest' discussion. The greatest Bax symphonies IMHO are nos 5 and 3, although No 2 is also a wonderfully imaginative score.

Just some rambling thoughts to delay me getting on with marking (grading to you Americans) my student's homework. A completely tedious job  :P
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Guido

Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

vandermolen

Guido

Interesting. Do you teach at A level? Is there even a history of Art A level?
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

drogulus

I think No. 7 may be underrated just a bit. I don't think, however, that the 3rd and the 6th are in any way less impressive than their reputations would suggest.

I find the whole issue of "favorite vs. great" even more difficult with Bax than with other composers, because I can simultaneously admire the phenomenal technical achievement and yet not be totally enthralled. You could call this the "Reger Effect" after Max Reger, the composer who famously was the greatest contrapuntalist after Bach and, to coin a phrase, so what?

Not that I dislike Reger, or Bax, or any other composer who is a little bit more admirable than lovable. It may only mean I need to listen more. But then there's the ghost of Reger, and the appalling specter of Bad Taste....maybe what I like isn't this good :o, and composers like Bax are just too rich for me.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

vandermolen

Quote from: Guido on November 16, 2008, 04:23:16 AM
Interesting. Do you teach at A level? Is there even a history of Art A level?

OT

Yes to both questions. History of Art is only available at A level over here (UK).

vandermolen

Quote from: drogulus on November 16, 2008, 10:21:42 AM

I think No. 7 may be underrated just a bit. I don't think, however, that the 3rd and the 6th are in any way less impressive than their reputations would suggest.

I find the whole issue of "favorite vs. great" even more difficult with Bax than with other composers, because I can simultaneously admire the phenomenal technical achievement and yet not be totally enthralled. You could call this the "Reger Effect" after Max Reger, the composer who famously was the greatest contrapuntalist after Bach and, to coin a phrase, so what?

Not that I dislike Reger, or Bax, or any other composer who is a little bit more admirable than lovable. It may only mean I need to listen more. But then there's the ghost of Reger, and the appalling specter of Bad Taste....maybe what I like isn't this good :o, and composers like Bax are just too rich for me.

Thanks. Maybe you would like some of Bax's chamber musuc; the Harp Quintet for example - a lovely work.

drogulus

Quote from: vandermolen on November 17, 2008, 01:47:31 AM
Thanks. Maybe you would like some of Bax's chamber musuc; the Harp Quintet for example - a lovely work.

I haven't given up on the symphonies at all, and they have made a powerful impression. This may just be a stage I'm going through. I love the tone poems I've heard, and I think I might go for Winter Legends based on the clips. The Bax symphonies are definitely a step up in terms of the commitment needed to really appreciate them.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

vandermolen

Interesting new release:

Dundonnell

Quote from: vandermolen on November 22, 2008, 06:58:03 AM
Interesting new release:

I (very cheekily) took Brian to task for suggesting that 'Tintagel kicks butt" ;D ;D

Maybe Vanska's version will bear out his assessment ;D ;D

schweitzeralan

Quote from: tjguitar on June 12, 2007, 09:29:56 AM
I guess it depends what you mean by "much" ...I mean, Is there much interest in *ANY* classical music in the USA?
As a recently signed in observer in this forum, I personally am pleased that there is interest in classical music by many, although enthusiasts are scattered about.  I'm sure that conservatory strudents and faculty are well aware of the classics.  I don't know how much is studied in terms of much of 20th century British (or Czech, Scandinavian, or others for that matter).  Moreover, CD's., thank the muses, provide much for the impassioned but lonely listener.  For the most part, Americans are but all too absorbed in general by the wertched "Pop Culture" which is everywhere.  This to me is not music.  I hear the stuff everywhere: in TV commercials, in movies, in restaurants.  Classical music will survive but only for the few in the future.  I'm not all that familiar with composers' works in the second half of the previous century, let alone the first decade of the 21st. Some Finnish works are, of course, an exception for my predilections. Sir Arnold's works are truly redemptive. and they should survive for those of us "cultos."

Lethevich

Quote from: drogulus on November 16, 2008, 10:21:42 AM
I think No. 7 may be underrated just a bit.

I find parts of it to be as close to Tintagel as his symphonies get, which can only be a good thing... 0:)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

tjguitar

New Bax!

Symphonic Variations in E major
Wass, Ashley, piano
Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra
Judd, James, Conductor

1.         Part I: Theme: Lento espressivo - 00:02:31
2.         Part I: Variation 1, "Youth": Allegro: Restless and tumultuous - 00:04:11
3.         Part I: Variation 2, "Nocturne": Slow and serene, Broadly - 00:06:36
4.         Part I: Variation 3, "Strife": Allegro vivace 00:07:39
5.         Part II: Variation 4, "The Temple": Slow and solemn - 00:09:46
6.         Part II: Variation 5, "Play": Scherzo: Allegretto vivace - Intermezzo, "Enchantment": Very moderate tempo - 00:10:27
7.         Part II: Variation 6, "Triumph": Moderate tempo: Glowing and passionate 00:04:39

Concertante for Piano Left Hand
Wass, Ashley, piano
Judd, James, Conductor

8.         I. Allegro moderato 00:08:08
9.         II. Moderato tranquillo 00:07:47
10.         III. Rondo: Allegro moderato 00:06:27

Total Playing Time: 01:08:11

http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.570774

vandermolen

Quote from: tjguitar on March 10, 2009, 12:32:56 PM
New Bax!

Symphonic Variations in E major
Wass, Ashley, piano
Judd, James, Conductor

1.         Part I: Theme: Lento espressivo - 00:02:31
2.         Part I: Variation 1, "Youth": Allegro: Restless and tumultuous - 00:04:11
3.         Part I: Variation 2, "Nocturne": Slow and serene, Broadly - 00:06:36
4.         Part I: Variation 3, "Strife": Allegro vivace 00:07:39
5.         Part II: Variation 4, "The Temple": Slow and solemn - 00:09:46
6.         Part II: Variation 5, "Play": Scherzo: Allegretto vivace - Intermezzo, "Enchantment": Very moderate tempo - 00:10:27
7.         Part II: Variation 6, "Triumph": Moderate tempo: Glowing and passionate 00:04:39

Concertante for Piano Left Hand
Wass, Ashley, piano
Judd, James, Conductor

8.         I. Allegro moderato 00:08:08
9.         II. Moderato tranquillo 00:07:47
10.         III. Rondo: Allegro moderato 00:06:27

Total Playing Time: 01:08:11

http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.570774

Thanks for alerting us to this release. The Symphonic Variations is a fine work. Another £5.99 up the chimney  ::)

Dundonnell

Surely you must have the Chandos versions of both works, Jeffrey?

Margaret Fingerhut recorded both works accompanied by Bryden Thomson and Vernon Handley respectively.

You don't need another version ;D

jowcol

I'm a big fan of Winter Legends.  It probably ranks with the 2nd Symphony and Tintagel as my favorite large scale works of his.
"If it sounds good, it is good."
Duke Ellington