Sir Arnold Bax

Started by tjguitar, April 15, 2007, 06:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjguitar

per Bax webmaster Richard Adams:

QuoteThis really is a major disc for Bax fans as Wass's performance is very different from the wonderful Fingerhut performance. Wass is more muscular in his playing and I think the work benefits from his moving it along just a bit faster. Nethertheless, he's still intensely poetic where he needs to be. I can't wait for him to record "Winter Legends" next year!

The more I keep listening to this disc, the more impressed I am with every aspect of it. Ashley Wass's playing is just stunning - the range of sound he can produce from the most delicate passage work to those huge, thundering chords while at the same time producing the most beautiful, refined sound is remarkable. Judd and the Bournemouth are inspired and all involved reveal the Symphonic Variations to be among Bax's greatest works -- something I'd never thought before until hearing Wass play this work. I've listened to nothing else this week but that disc and I'm still can't get enough of it.

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on March 10, 2009, 02:15:25 PM
Surely you must have the Chandos versions of both works, Jeffrey?

Margaret Fingerhut recorded both works accompanied by Bryden Thomson and Vernon Handley respectively.

You don't need another version ;D

Too late Colin, too late  :-[

Actually I have been playing the Fingerhut version in my car (an old Chandos cassette  :o) - and I had forgotten what a terrific work it is. I also have the old Joyce Hatto (really)/Vernon Handley Version (which I received from Concert Artists with free bonus CD of Joyce Hatto not playing Rachmaninov Piano Concerto 2 and 3) - which is also very good.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dundonnell

Quote from: vandermolen on March 14, 2009, 09:29:32 AM
Too late Colin, too late  :-[

Actually I have been playing the Fingerhut version in my car (an old Chandos cassette  :o) - and I had forgotten what a terrific work it is. I also have the old Joyce Hatto (really)/Vernon Handley Version (which I received from Concert Artists with free bonus CD of Joyce Hatto not playing Rachmaninov Piano Concerto 2 and 3) - which is also very good.

Well after reading the comments by the Bax webmaster posted by tjguitar I can see why ;D

haydnguy

How shall I put it??? A must buy!!  ;D

Martin Lind

Hi!

Recently I acquired some sets of symphonies: The Magnard ( Brilliant), the Bax ( Handley) and the Miaskovsky ( Svetlanov). I was disappointed by Magnard, am very enthusiastic about Miaskovski ( whom I loved before) but I really don't know about the Bax. I listened to the first three symphonies. Don't get the message in 1 and 2 but somehow liked more the 3rd. But I am not completely convinced by the 3rd although it sounds really marvelous but somehow I miss the beef of really good ideas. When I listened to 2nd I thought, now you must listen to something really beautifull, so I listened to Brahms 2nd.

Before I bought this set I had a Decca CD with works of Bax of which I really loved Tintagel with Boult. Thinking of Tintagel I thought that I should buy this Handley set. I have also a Naxos CD with tone poems but was not convinced ( Tintagel with Boult is much better).

So don't be angry if I say that Bax hasn't convinced me completely yet but it may be also not such an easy composer. But as I said I somehow like the 3rd and listened to that most often. And I will certainly listen to this set more often but slowly. But just now I listen more to Miaskovsky.

Regards
Martin

Lethevich

Martin - Bax is not the easiest composer to familiarise yourself with, so don't worry.

I like him and have been listening closely to his symphonies ever since the Handley set was released, but I too am still not 100% convinced. However, I feel that he can only rise in my estimation, simply due to the superb ideas and moments which keep me listening, despite my doubts over the overall structure of many of his symphonic works.

He may not be perfect or easy, but I keep listening because he is compelling.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Grazioso

Quote from: Lethe on March 29, 2009, 05:01:10 PM
He may not be perfect or easy, but I keep listening because he is compelling.

That sums up Bax for me too. I've had mixed feelings about him since my first encounter, but there are things that keep drawing me back and making my time with his work very rewarding. Whatever its flaws, it really engages me, really makes me dig in and listen and think.

Martin, you should try more of Bax's tone poems, which many feel cohere better than the symphonies. Try different recordings by Thomson, Lloyd-Jones, etc. And to get a different view of the symphonies, I highly recommend Lloyd-Jones's cycle on Naxos.
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Martin Lind on March 29, 2009, 04:44:23 PM
Recently I acquired some sets of symphonies: The Magnard ( Brilliant), the Bax ( Handley) and the Miaskovsky ( Svetlanov). I was disappointed by Magnard

Martin, which works disappointed you? If you only listened to the first two symphonies, I can go along with you - they have their beauties, but the unmistakable 'Magnard sound' isn't there yet.. But Nos 3 & 4 are really great. Please try them, if you haven't done so!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

vandermolen

Quote from: Jezetha on March 30, 2009, 12:21:04 PM
Martin, which works disappointed you? If you only listened to the first two symphonies, I can go along with you - they have their beauties, but the unmistakable 'Magnard sound' isn't there yet.. But Nos 3 & 4 are really great. Please try them, if you haven't done so!

Yes, Symphony No 4 and Chant Funebre are great works.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

jowcol

if you are finding a learning curve with Bax, I would have to warn you that he is not a great melodist, and his works can ramble, but there is such a wonderful range of orchestral color and invention that you can surrender to that.  I didn't think the first symphony hit it's stride until the second movement.  I adore the second, and (to repeat myself) Winter Legends is great!

Bax is sort of the Anti-Rubbra in British Symphony.  Rubbra is more into structure and development, Bax is more of explosions of color.  I know that is a bit of a simplification-- but that's how I view Bax's symphonic work. 
"If it sounds good, it is good."
Duke Ellington

Brian

Quote from: tjguitar on March 10, 2009, 12:32:56 PM
New Bax!

Symphonic Variations in E major
Wass, Ashley, piano
Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra
Judd, James, Conductor

1.         Part I: Theme: Lento espressivo - 00:02:31
2.         Part I: Variation 1, "Youth": Allegro: Restless and tumultuous - 00:04:11
3.         Part I: Variation 2, "Nocturne": Slow and serene, Broadly - 00:06:36
4.         Part I: Variation 3, "Strife": Allegro vivace 00:07:39
5.         Part II: Variation 4, "The Temple": Slow and solemn - 00:09:46
6.         Part II: Variation 5, "Play": Scherzo: Allegretto vivace - Intermezzo, "Enchantment": Very moderate tempo - 00:10:27
7.         Part II: Variation 6, "Triumph": Moderate tempo: Glowing and passionate 00:04:39

Concertante for Piano Left Hand
Wass, Ashley, piano
Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra
Judd, James, Conductor

8.         I. Allegro moderato 00:08:08
9.         II. Moderato tranquillo 00:07:47
10.         III. Rondo: Allegro moderato 00:06:27

Total Playing Time: 01:08:11

http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.570774
I'm listening right now!  :D

Grazioso

There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

vandermolen

Quote from: Grazioso on November 08, 2009, 04:00:45 AM
Bax's birthday today  :D

Happy 126th Sir Arnold  :)

I am thinking of buying the new CD with the Concertino on - it has been well reviewed. But I have spent too much on CDs recently  ::)

Interesting article:

http://www.birminghampost.net/life-leisure-birmingham-guide/birmingham-culture/music-in-birmingham/2009/07/03/arnold-bax-concertino-to-see-the-light-65233-24068338/

vandermolen

Father Christmas bought me Bax's newly recorded 'Concertino for Piano and Orchestra' (1939). I greatly enjoyed this work.  I suspected that the diminutive title indicated a rather 'light' work, but this is not the case.  Bax's 'Concertino' seems to reflect the times in which it was written (Bax was despondent about the international scene in 1939). I'd say that the dreamy opening and the lyrical and turbulent first two movements are entirely characteristic of Bax's music at its (almost) best.  Any Bax fan should like this work and the John Ireland pieces make for a great programme (Somm label).

Father Christmas also bought me the Boult recording of Havergal Brian's 'Gothic Symphony' which I am much looking forward to hearing in due course.

schweitzeralan

Quote from: vandermolen on December 28, 2009, 02:10:25 PM
Father Christmas bought me Bax's newly recorded 'Concertino for Piano and Orchestra' (1939). I greatly enjoyed this work.  I suspected that the diminutive title indicated a rather 'light' work, but this is not the case.  Bax's 'Concertino' seems to reflect the times in which it was written (Bax was despondent about the international scene in 1939). I'd say that the dreamy opening and the lyrical and turbulent first two movements are entirely characteristic of Bax's music at its (almost) best.  Any Bax fan should like this work and the John Ireland pieces make for a great programme (Somm label).

Father Christmas also bought me the Boult recording of Havergal Brian's 'Gothic Symphony' which I am much looking forward to hearing in due course.

This apparently is a newly "discovered" Bax.  Before I purchase, I'd like  to hear a personalised review on your part if possible.  The Ireland Concerto is superb. I have the old LP recording. Two "musts."

schweitzeralan

Quote from: vandermolen on December 28, 2009, 02:10:25 PM

Does anyone have any idea or opinion as to why Bax's "Four Pieces For Piano" was never recorded?   These were some of Bax's last compositions.

offbeat

Has anybody heard this - have always like its rather shadowy feel
and seems to have a strong poetic feel which suits my hearing buds  :D

vandermolen

Quote from: schweitzeralan on December 29, 2009, 05:50:58 AM
This apparently is a newly "discovered" Bax.  Before I purchase, I'd like  to hear a personalised review on your part if possible.  The Ireland Concerto is superb. I have the old LP recording. Two "musts."

Don't have much to add except to say that I keep wanting to play the Bax (in fact the entire CD) which must be a good sign. The dreamy, rhapsodic opening of the Bax reminded me of Cyril Scott's Piano Concerto No 1 - a work I greatly admire.  I prefer the 'Legend' to the Piano Concerto by Ireland (I am over familiar with the PC, having c 8 different recordings of it).  The Piano Concertino is not top draw Bax but is a work of some power and depth, with a particularly engaging opening and First Movement. The First Movement soon develops a characteristically 'legendary' feel to it.  In spirit it compliments the John Ireland concerto and 'Legend' very well.

vandermolen

Quote from: offbeat on December 29, 2009, 07:42:12 AM

Has anybody heard this - have always like its rather shadowy feel
and seems to have a strong poetic feel which suits my hearing buds  :D

Do you mean the Cello Concerto?

offbeat

Quote from: vandermolen on December 30, 2009, 09:46:42 AM
Do you mean the Cello Concerto?
yes sorry i forgot to enlarge the image - always liked this although does not seem to catch many bax admirers  ?