Sir Arnold Bax

Started by tjguitar, April 15, 2007, 06:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

I like the Bostock Bax Symphony 6 and 'Tintagel' - no complaints from me. I also like his CD with Malcolm Arnold Symphony No 5, not least, as someone who teaches in a girls' school, for the hilarious suite from 'St Trinians' (original film and not terrible re-make).
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

cilgwyn

The Malcolm Arnold sounds very tempting. The only one I've ever heard I must admit is the emi of Arnold conducting. I must have borrowed that from my local library quite a few times. The extroadinary mix of popular & classical idioms blew my adolescent mind! EMI should have been begging him to do more.
Glad you like rate the Bostock. That should be £4.76p well spent then.

cilgwyn

You can't beat a bit of Bax like!

cilgwyn

In my ramblings about 'Winter Legends' I forgot to mention the Dutton release of Bax's bit on the side Harriet Cohen. I think I might bung her on later!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: cilgwyn on April 18, 2011, 09:26:48 AM
I think I might bung her on later!

I hope that isn't really as obscene as it sounds.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

cilgwyn

cilgwyn

......if it's ok with the moderator.

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on April 18, 2011, 09:14:47 AM
The Malcolm Arnold sounds very tempting. The only one I've ever heard I must admit is the emi of Arnold conducting. I must have borrowed that from my local library quite a few times. The extroadinary mix of popular & classical idioms blew my adolescent mind! EMI should have been begging him to do more.
Glad you like rate the Bostock. That should be £4.76p well spent then.

My favourite Arnold CD:

[asin]B000MCIB6Q[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: cilgwyn on April 18, 2011, 09:55:13 AM
......if it's ok with the moderator.

Bung away, laddie. We're amused at colorful colloquialisms in these parts. :D

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: vandermolen on April 18, 2011, 10:53:46 AM
My favourite Arnold CD:

[asin]B000MCIB6Q[/asin]

Shouldn't that be "Bax conducts Bax"?  Or is one of us on the wrong thread, or worse yet, lost at sea? :-\

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

cilgwyn

eyeresist

Arnold was renowned for his bad manners.

vandermolen

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on April 18, 2011, 12:27:05 PM
Shouldn't that be "Bax conducts Bax"?  Or is one of us on the wrong thread, or worse yet, lost at sea? :-\

8)

Well - they both have 'Arnold' in their name  ;D

Fair enough - I should have written 'OT'

Now, back to that Sibelius discussion...

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

cilgwyn

You're grounded for a week young man!

cilgwyn

I just realised who Harriet Cohen reminds me of. Bob Hope. They've got the same nose!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

cilgwyn

I knew I was right. I like the photo too. Hope was always a gas in drag.

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on April 19, 2011, 01:12:34 PM
I knew I was right. I like the photo too. Hope was always a gas in drag.

:D

cilgwyn

The Classico cd of Bax's Sixth symphony arrived today. Contrary to some of the reviews I've read I really enjoyed this interpretation. Once you get used to the quirks in the phrasing & tempi it's an enjoyably bracing performance. And very importantly,it's different. The only disappointment is that if you like this performance you can't hear them do any more. I would have particularly like to see what they could do with the Seventh symphony which is,in my opinion the weakest of the lot,although I love the 'slow movement',(or what passes for it). The fourth is often regarded as the weakest but is actually my favourite because it's unusually out going for Bax and chock full of marvellous ideas. At any rate,a European (or even American) cycle of these underrated symphonies is way,way overdue.
'Tintagel' is apparently regarded as the best performance on the disc. It's very good,but more conventional in approach,which is probably why allot of unadventurous critics preferred it. Having said that,I would definately place it amongst the best that I've heard.
'Overture to Adventure' which I haven't heard before is not regarded as Bax at his best,but I have to say I rather enjoyed it. No 'drumming of fingers' waiting for it to end here!

NB: The booklet notes are in very nice,clear print & are livened up by some very interesting photographs,which help to mark this release out. Judging from one photo in the booklet Bax wasn't that keen on having his photo taken ("Say Cheese!). Also,this cd,from an Amazon seller at £4.97 p&p included) arrived commendably quickly & the booklet,cd & inserts are in top condition.