Sir Arnold Bax

Started by tjguitar, April 15, 2007, 06:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cilgwyn

Well.it's never going to get as much attention as Brian's 'Gothic',but this IS the big night for Bax enthusiasts! Needless to say,my Dolby cassette deck is at the ready & I've finally got the recording level sorted out so I'm really looking forward to this. Hopefully a cd-r (not from the tape!!) and an upload,from someone,(?) will follow. Bax's No 2 is one of my personal favourites & I am actually glad they chose this one instead of No 6! (Not that I don't like that one of course). No doubt the critics will have a field day afterwards,but what ever Bax's supposed faults (as a symphonist) I still think No 2 packs a powerful punch. It also has one of his most memorable openings.
Bax haters/sceptics,you have been yawned.....I mean,warned!!!

NB: Let's just hope I've got the right day!!!!!!!!

cilgwyn

It's rolling! Sounds good to me!!! Of course,the real excitement will be hearing what those who are actually THERE will have to say. I believe 'Vandermolen' (Jeffrey,NOT Jeffery!) is one of the lucky ones..... & maybe some other GMG'ers?

J.Z. Herrenberg

I'll have to "listen again"... I forgot about it!  :(
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

vandermolen

Well, I have just returned from what was actually the first performance ever of Bax's 2nd Symphony at the Proms! (the only one of the symphonies never to have been heard there before).  I was also there when the last Bax Symphony, No 5, was played at the Proms (in 1984) in front of what tonight's programe notes described as a 'regrettably small audience' - true, on that occasion the Albert Hall was half empty.  Tonight, I'm pleased to say it was almost full. For me this was a great occasion - to hear a Bax Symphony (and one of the best ones) live. Andrew Litton gave a fine performance with the RPO.  The opening movement was slower than usual, and the second movement suitably 'legendary' - the organ entry of the last movement was spectacular and finally...'the music collapses, defeated, and this great symphonic utterance ends as it began: in darkness and uncertainty'. (Andrew Achenbach - from the programme notes). Certainly, the sense of looming catastrophe, which pervades this work, was fully conveyed in this performance and I am so happy to have been there (am now playing my Goossens CD of the work in celebration).

No, it was not such an epic occasion as Havergal Brian's 'Gothic' Proms premiere (how could it be?) but I would not have missed it. I also heard two American classics, Copland's Fanfare for the Common Man and Barber's Adagio for Strings (first Barber I have heard live I think) - also a fine performance of Bartok's Second Piano Concerto (Yuja Wang) and Prokofiev's Symphony No 4 - but for me, it was the Bax that I shall remember (my daughter enjoyed it too!).
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Thanks for this, Jeffrey! I am sorry I couldn't be there, both Bax' Second and Prokofiev's Fourth are firm favourites (I prefer the original version of the latter work, btw). It must have been a very special occasion. A pity that such a stirring piece as Bax' Second should be a rarity in the concert-hall. Even worse: it's a shame Bax is such a rarity there!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

vandermolen

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on August 17, 2011, 12:52:31 AM
Thanks for this, Jeffrey! I am sorry I couldn't be there, both Bax' Second and Prokofiev's Fourth are firm favourites (I prefer the original version of the latter work, btw). It must have been a very special occasion. A pity that such a stirring piece as Bax' Second should be a rarity in the concert-hall. Even worse: it's a shame Bax is such a rarity there!

Thank you Johan - I totally agree. I must hear the original version of the Prokofiev.  At least there was a big audience to hear the Bax this time. I'd love to hear Symphony No 3 live too one day.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

cilgwyn

I'm glad you enjoyed the concert! Actually,I think actually hearing a Bax symphony at a Prom concert was just as exciting as hearing the Brian,in it's own way. 'Elemental' is a word that,for me,really describes Bax's music at it's best. There's a power there compensates for any shortcomings Bax may have (supposedly) as a symphonist. It really is music from the heart and a composer who feels at one with nature.
  I rarther liked Rob Cowan's observations,after the performance,about Bax being a composer of the moment. Certainly,judging by some of the books,tv programmes and movies around at the moment,Bax's romantic/ legendary inspirations are in tune with the kind of escapism that people seek these days from the monotone drudgery of post credit crunch life. Having said that,Bax isn't exactly 'Game of Thrones' or Britains answer to 'Ilya Murometz',but his brand of 'brazen romanticism' is possibly more appealing now than it appeared during the 50's and 60's,when Bax's popularity was at it's lowest ebb.
As to the remaining Bax symphonies,I must say Bax's first is at the top of my list. That opening just grabs you. Personally,I think it's one of the best openings to any British symphony. But that's just me!
A symphonic obscurity,also from Britain,that might be fun to hear at a Prom. Cyril Scott's Third Symphony. This really was a bit of a suprise when it came out on cd & got a lot of enthusiastic reviews,even from the usually 'sniffy' newspaper critics. I wonder what a Prom audience would make of it?
Anyway......I digress! Regarding the Goossens recording of Bax's Second. This is a tremendous performance. As to the poor sound quality referred to on Musicweb. It's really not that bad considering. For historic recordings with really abominable sound,the Talich recordings of Dvorak's symphonic poems on Supraphon,REALLY take the ticket. A few bars in and off they went!!! (A marvellous conductor,though).
Incidentally,my current underrated favourite for Dvorak's gruesome foursome is Vaclav Neumann on Supraphon. Wonderful. If I'd had the Lp when I was a teenager I'd have worn it out!
Finally,Prokofiev's Fourth. I had never heard it,so I decided to record it. To use very un-technical language,'What a cracker'! I REALLY enjoyed it. Can anyone here recommend a 'best' recording?

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on August 18, 2011, 04:03:24 AM
I'm glad you enjoyed the concert! Actually,I think actually hearing a Bax symphony at a Prom concert was just as exciting as hearing the Brian,in it's own way. 'Elemental' is a word that,for me,really describes Bax's music at it's best. There's a power there compensates for any shortcomings Bax may have (supposedly) as a symphonist. It really is music from the heart and a composer who feels at one with nature.
  I rarther liked Rob Cowan's observations,after the performance,about Bax being a composer of the moment. Certainly,judging by some of the books,tv programmes and movies around at the moment,Bax's romantic/ legendary inspirations are in tune with the kind of escapism that people seek these days from the monotone drudgery of post credit crunch life. Having said that,Bax isn't exactly 'Game of Thrones' or Britains answer to 'Ilya Murometz',but his brand of 'brazen romanticism' is possibly more appealing now than it appeared during the 50's and 60's,when Bax's popularity was at it's lowest ebb.
As to the remaining Bax symphonies,I must say Bax's first is at the top of my list. That opening just grabs you. Personally,I think it's one of the best openings to any British symphony. But that's just me!
A symphonic obscurity,also from Britain,that might be fun to hear at a Prom. Cyril Scott's Third Symphony. This really was a bit of a suprise when it came out on cd & got a lot of enthusiastic reviews,even from the usually 'sniffy' newspaper critics. I wonder what a Prom audience would make of it?
Anyway......I digress! Regarding the Goossens recording of Bax's Second. This is a tremendous performance. As to the poor sound quality referred to on Musicweb. It's really not that bad considering. For historic recordings with really abominable sound,the Talich recordings of Dvorak's symphonic poems on Supraphon,REALLY take the ticket. A few bars in and off they went!!! (A marvellous conductor,though).
Incidentally,my current underrated favourite for Dvorak's gruesome foursome is Vaclav Neumann on Supraphon. Wonderful. If I'd had the Lp when I was a teenager I'd have worn it out!
Finally,Prokofiev's Fourth. I had never heard it,so I decided to record it. To use very un-technical language,'What a cracker'! I REALLY enjoyed it. Can anyone here recommend a 'best' recording?

Great post. Were you at the Prom concert?  If so I'm sorry not to have met you.  I've heard Ilya Murometz live too! (Barbican) - what an experience. I like Scott's music, especially 'Neptune' and the Piano Concerto No 1 - especially the John Ogdon/Bernard Herrmann version (what a combination!)

I may have to listen to Bax Symphony No 1 tonight.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: cilgwyn on August 18, 2011, 04:03:24 AM
Is is legal to recommend Prokofiev in a Bax thread?!?!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: mc ukrneal on August 18, 2011, 06:26:49 AM
Is is legal to recommend Prokofiev in a Bax thread?!?!

Bax loved Russian music, I think his shade won't disapprove... My favourite is Järvi on Chandos, and the original version. But Hattoff is the Prokofiev expert...

cilgwyn

Oops! But Bax did have a thing for Russian ladies didn't he? And there was that ballet? And there are Russian influences there. And....and....the beginning of Winter Legends is a bit Prokofeian? )That's enough 'ands',but it's late at night and I had a drink down the old boozer!)
Jarvi sounds good to me. Incidentally,Prokofiev is always treated like a bit of a 'weeny' when it comes to Symphonies.
Fascinating to hear the same conductor and orchestra play Bax AND Prokofiev. I only hope Litton can be persuaded to perform more Bax. Now that Handley has gone maybe Litton is the man?
Even the usually annoying Andrew Clements (Guardian) was FAIRLY polite.

Anyone for a glass of  vodka?

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: cilgwyn on August 18, 2011, 01:55:29 PM
Anyone for a glass of  vodka?

No, but I'll have a dram of Ardbeg while planning a Bax 2/Prokofiev4 listen tomorrow.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: vandermolen on August 16, 2011, 04:46:23 PM....(my daughter enjoyed it too!).

The best part of your review. So nice to be able to share that kind of experience with those we love.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

eyeresist

Quote from: cilgwyn on August 18, 2011, 01:55:29 PM
Oops! But Bax did have a thing for Russian ladies didn't he? And there was that ballet? And there are Russian influences there. And....and....the beginning of Winter Legends is a bit Prokofeian? )That's enough 'ands',but it's late at night and I had a drink down the old boozer!)
Jarvi sounds good to me. Incidentally,Prokofiev is always treated like a bit of a 'weeny' when it comes to Symphonies.

Both Bax and Prokofiev were fans of Scriabin; so there's that. (Listen to Prok's early tone poems Dreams and Autumnal Sketch for e.g.)

My favourite recording of Prok's 4th (revised) is the Kuchar, which is accompanied on disc by the Prodigal Son ballet from which it was derived. For Prokofiev, I generally prefer Russian conductors and/or orchestras: Malko, Rozhdestvensky, Temirkanov, Kuchar (not technically Russian, but Ukrainian orchestra).

cilgwyn

Thank you for all your recommendations.
I really should have a look at the Profiev thread now,shouldn't I? (Actually,the Jarvi cycle would be a nice box set)
Scott was labelled the English Debussy of course,as everyone here knows. I recently heard the excerpts from his opera 'The Alchemist' broadcast on R3 some years ago & was suprised by the vigour of the score! I would love to hear more. It would be great if Chandos were to show an interest. The 'Harpsichord Concerto'* is another one I'd like to hear. Maybe Dutton will come up trumps?
Anyway,back to Bax!

*According to the Cyril Scott website this has been recorded by the Malta Philharmonic & was due for release by Cameo Classics.

cilgwyn

Regarding the Bax Piano Sonatas. I presume the recent Ashley Wass recordings are the favourites here,but does anyone here prefer the earlier recordings on Lyrita or Chandos?

vandermolen

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 18, 2011, 02:11:17 PM
The best part of your review. So nice to be able to share that kind of experience with those we love.

Sarge

Yes, very true - although I think that she also came for the free meal at the restaurant before hand  :D

Actually, she liked the Bartok.

Daverz

Quote from: Daverz on April 15, 2011, 02:55:40 AM
I should warn you that the proprietor of that site, one Frank W. Martin, is a very nasty piece of work.

My warning came to Mr. Martin's attention, and he writes me:

QuoteAnd you, 'Dave Cook' , AKA 'Daverz' are a ****.
Stay away from my blogs...

Where **** rhymes with Mozart's K458 Quartet.  So I guess I was wrong about him.  And who knew that someone would be as protective of their blog as they might be of their comely 16-year old daughter.

tjguitar

Has anyone heard the Mark Elder recording of Spring Fire? I wasn't aware there was a 2nd recording of this...

vandermolen

I have been listening to Bax's 4th Symphony - a great performance by Bryden Thomson and the Ulster SO (pity the rest of the cycle wasn't with them) with an equally impressive 'Tintagel'. The 4th is usually seen as the weakest of the 7 and most diffuse - but I am very fond of it and play it more than the others, much as I love nos 3 and 5.