Please Provide Feedback on My Nocturnes

Started by nakulanb, February 18, 2022, 08:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nakulanb

https://nakulan.bandcamp.com/releases

I would very much appreciate it.  I hope you enjoy it!

;D

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

relm1

You could expand on the register and variety.  Generally, the accompaniment stays in the same register with the same rhythm and meter which can become predictable.  It is more interesting if you set up a pattern and then deviate when the listener thinks they know what you are going to do.  If you do it too often, then the listener expects it and that too becomes predictable.  So you want to introduce an idea, maybe repeat it, then deviate in some way.  Maybe a harmonic twist/rub, maybe the ostinato rhythm opens up, something.  You can add some anticipations and suspensions to create some spice - basically have a note landing on the next harmony a beat early or stay on the old harmony a beat too long for example.  Also, the melodies could be more inventive and having greater variety.  Maybe sometimes give the melody to left hand and low register, sometimes take it way up, etc.  Try singing the melody or maybe even finding a friend who sings, as them to improvise around the tune.  A vocalist will probably add more embellishment so you can take some of those ideas and add embellishments to your melody as well.  I thought no. 6 was my favorite.

nakulanb

Quote from: relm1 on February 19, 2022, 06:05:39 AM
You could expand on the register and variety.  Generally, the accompaniment stays in the same register with the same rhythm and meter which can become predictable.  It is more interesting if you set up a pattern and then deviate when the listener thinks they know what you are going to do.  If you do it too often, then the listener expects it and that too becomes predictable.  So you want to introduce an idea, maybe repeat it, then deviate in some way.  Maybe a harmonic twist/rub, maybe the ostinato rhythm opens up, something.  You can add some anticipations and suspensions to create some spice - basically have a note landing on the next harmony a beat early or stay on the old harmony a beat too long for example.  Also, the melodies could be more inventive and having greater variety.  Maybe sometimes give the melody to left hand and low register, sometimes take it way up, etc.  Try singing the melody or maybe even finding a friend who sings, as them to improvise around the tune.  A vocalist will probably add more embellishment so you can take some of those ideas and add embellishments to your melody as well.  I thought no. 6 was my favorite.

Thank you for your helpful thoughts.  I used to compose with much more variety in melody and left hand accompaniment in high school, but my tone and execution weren't as good.  So simplifying things helped with the overall sound.  But that's not why I changed how I compose, this is just what I evolved to.

I can certainly see how you find it too predictable and simple; it is.  But I feel those elements in the music make it easier to listen to, and more accessible to a mainstream audience.

It's probably more New Age than Classical if I'm being honest with myself, but Chopin really did influence me greatly in mood I wanted to achieve.

You say number 6 is your favorite, that's awesome!  Have you ever seen John Carpenter's Halloween, the horror movie?  It's the theme song from that movie re-envisioned in a major key.

Again, thank you for listening and providing great feedback.  I'll keep it in mind if I ever have another go at composition.  Part of me feels this is my masterpiece and I can't top it.  The album just flows beautifully imo.

Cheers!

nakulanb

I've changed my artist name and added a couple more tracks to the album.  Thanks!