Author Topic: Europe at War  (Read 38515 times)

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
Re: Europe at War
« Reply #2300 on: May 14, 2022, 09:13:01 AM »
[ snip] Xi can't be happy with what was said and the speech was taken down hours after it appeared online.

It is quite possible that Xi meant both the reveal and the ceremonial suppression.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #2301 on: May 14, 2022, 10:22:35 AM »
But some degree of truth will give it credibility and will make it all the more effective.

How do end readers divine truth?

Of course, facts are better than truth.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #2302 on: May 14, 2022, 11:40:06 AM »

Absolutely. Of course it's propaganda.
But some degree of truth will give it credibility and will make it all the more effective.

The timing is revealing IMO. No such announcement was made until after the collapse of the Russians at Kharkiv.

Here's a question for the Big Brain Brigade. Should the Ukes cross the border, or should they restrict themselves to air and artillery strikes?

Russian buildings are catching fire as far away as Irkutsk. That's near Mongolia.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:100.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/100.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.0 Waterfox/56.6.2022.04

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #2303 on: May 14, 2022, 02:51:10 PM »
Russian buildings are catching fire as far away as Irkutsk. That's near Mongolia.

What I think is that these fires are caused not by Ukes but by Russian partisans.

If this is so, this points to heavy trouble also in Russia.
As soon as a word has left the lips, not even the fastest horse can catch up with it.

Offline LKB

• Veteran member
    something between my ears
« Reply #2304 on: May 14, 2022, 08:40:41 PM »
What I think is that these fires are caused not by Ukes but by Russian partisans.

If this is so, this points to heavy trouble also in Russia.

According to various Intel people over the years, Putin once blew up 300 Russians to frame Chechnya. These incidents around Russia could likewise be FSB activity, to stoke domestic support for the invasion.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Offline steve ridgway

• Veteran member
    Stockhausen's Greatest Hits
« Reply #2305 on: May 14, 2022, 09:14:09 PM »
The mutual defence pact is certainly great, but frankly I don't trust the UK 100 % at the moment. The UK seems a confused nation after years of Tory austerity policy and xenophobia-based populism.

Don’t worry, the xenophobia-based populism will work in Finland’s favour. ;)

Offline Herman

• Veteran member
  • there's something wrong with my brain
« Reply #2306 on: May 14, 2022, 11:29:56 PM »

Russia is a very large place. So chances are there's a building burning down every day, some place.

It doesn't have to be significantly connected to the UK - RU conflict.

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #2307 on: May 15, 2022, 12:22:21 AM »
I’m with Herman on this one. Who was France at war with when Notre Dame burned? Fires happen for a huge variety of reasons, and the great majority of them have no connection to politics.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

• Veteran member
« Reply #2308 on: May 15, 2022, 12:44:19 AM »
The fires have to large extent hit strategic targets, a fact which talks against the thought that they should be casual. And some of them took place so far from Ukaine that the Ukes can't be involved. And I refrain from thinking that Putin deliberately should destruct important strategic places so far from Ukraine. Nobody would think the Ukes were responsible for this, anyway.
As soon as a word has left the lips, not even the fastest horse can catch up with it.

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
« Reply #2309 on: May 15, 2022, 01:05:30 AM »
The location mentioned did not appear to be a strategic target unless I missed something. It was a historic building.

Edit: and also reportedly empty. Honestly, I cant think of a better place for a fire than an empty old building, especially if there were repairs underway. I already mentioned Notre Dame.

If someone can explain to me the strategic value of a cultural building in Irkutsk I’d be fascinated. Although if the HQ if the Russian war effort was all the way over there, it would explain some things.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 01:10:12 AM by Madiel »
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

• Veteran member
« Reply #2310 on: May 15, 2022, 01:47:50 AM »
The location mentioned did not appear to be a strategic target unless I missed something. It was a historic building.

Here is a Danish article about an unexplained fire in a strategic place near Moskva, which you may read. For other readers not understanding Danish Google translate does miracles.

https://www.berlingske.dk/internationalt/17-doede-i-brand-paa-russisk-militaerinstitut

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
« Reply #2311 on: May 15, 2022, 04:29:56 AM »
Yes, but that wasn’t the location immediately under discussion. I can see why that story you’ve linked to is a LOT more interesting.

But even there, it could really be an electrical fault like the Russians said. Such things happen.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 04:33:19 AM by Madiel »

Offline steve ridgway

• Veteran member
« Reply #2312 on: May 15, 2022, 05:16:40 AM »
I’m pleased to hear the Eurovision voters gave Ukraine first place this year. :)

Offline MusicTurner

• Veteran member
« Reply #2313 on: May 15, 2022, 05:34:23 AM »
Yes, but that wasn’t the location immediately under discussion. I can see why that story you’ve linked to is a LOT more interesting.

But even there, it could really be an electrical fault like the Russians said. Such things happen.

All the fires can't be just accidents. For example there's been fires at 11 army recruitment offices in Russia recently.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 05:36:22 AM by MusicTurner »

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #2314 on: May 15, 2022, 06:18:53 AM »

If someone can explain to me the strategic value of a cultural building in Irkutsk I’d be fascinated. 

Russia is trying to wipe out Ukrainian cultural landmarks. So it would be tit for tat.

Nevertheless the Irkutsk fire might be unrelated.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:100.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/100.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.0 Waterfox/56.6.2022.04

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • I'm not insensitive. I'm an INTJ/P.
    • Soundcloud
    I am revisiting my CD collection.
« Reply #2315 on: May 15, 2022, 06:38:04 AM »
Looks like Finland will apply to NATO membership next Wednesday after the Parliament* has voted for it the previous day to make this process as democratic and "by the book" as possible. Many NATO countries welcome Finland to join and some even compete to be the first to ratify the application, but then there's Turkey with its demands...

* 156 out of 200 representatives in the Parliament support NATO membership while only about 10 are opposing it so the result of the voting is clear.

Don’t worry, the xenophobia-based populism will work in Finland’s favour. ;)

I can't see how...  :P
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW track "Jazzz"

Offline steve ridgway

• Veteran member
« Reply #2316 on: May 15, 2022, 08:38:30 AM »
I can't see how...  :P

I think Scandinavian countries are generally seen here as nice, friendly, clean, civilised places where one needn’t fear the police. In fact we’re probably a little jealous.

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • I'm not insensitive. I'm an INTJ/P.
    • Soundcloud
    I am revisiting my CD collection.
« Reply #2317 on: May 15, 2022, 08:58:17 AM »
I think Scandinavian countries are generally seen here as nice, friendly, clean, civilised places where one needn’t fear the police. In fact we’re probably a little jealous.

That's cool.  (Finland isn't actually part of Scandinavia even if people often think it is. Finland is part of Fennoscandia and Nordic countries)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW track "Jazzz"

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #2318 on: May 15, 2022, 08:59:05 AM »
I think Scandinavian countries are generally seen here as nice, friendly, clean, civilised places where one needn’t fear the police.

Research: Finnish police discriminate, racially profile

New clashes over anti-immigration rally in Sweden

Denmark has some issues.  Let's play spot the egregiously racist government policies:

Danish parliament approves plan to seize assets from refugees

Denmark asylum: The Syrian refugees no longer welcome to stay

Denmark Won't Take Away Ukrainians' Assets Under 'Jewellery Law'. All About the Rule & the Spcl Relief

Danish cops are probably super nice, though.

Norway seems to be a little less racist than the other Scandinavian countries. 

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Offline MusicTurner

• Veteran member
« Reply #2319 on: May 15, 2022, 09:08:34 AM »
That's cool.  (Finland isn't actually part of Scandinavia even if people often think it is. Finland is part of Fennoscandia and Nordic countries)

It's a long discussion. Among English speakers, including for example Lonely Planet Guides, Scandinavia often includes Finland, maybe Iceland. But I've never experienced anyone changing their mind.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 09:10:58 AM by MusicTurner »