Europe at War

Started by Que, February 20, 2022, 12:59:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 01, 2022, 02:11:38 PM
So what's going with this fucking war? Is Putin dead yet or what? Let's get to the bottomline here, folks.

Well,  Putin is counting on us to get bored,  so you're on the right track.   :blank:

🤠😎
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Lisztianwagner

Alas, it seems it is far from coming to an end; practically, everyone has tried to convince Putin to stop the war, but everyone has failed. He doesn't listen to anybody......
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 01, 2022, 02:11:38 PM
So what's going with this fucking war? Is Putin dead yet or what? Let's get to the bottomline here, folks.

According to some sources Putin has cancer and 2-3 years to live.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Madiel

Quote from: 71 dB on June 01, 2022, 03:00:55 PM
According to some sources Putin has cancer and 2-3 years to live.

That's a rather long time to be living with terminal cancer. So call me skeptical.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

LKB

Medical rumors concerning Vlad the Mad pop up as frequently as strident television hosts in Moscow, and are just about as credible.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Que

An overview of the various reports on Putin's health:

https://www.businessinsider.com/timeline-putin-alleged-health-problems-2022-5?r=US&IR=T

But if Ukranian intelligence says he has still a few years to live, I'll take their word for it.
If true, it's unlikely to influence the outcome of this war. It might have played an important role in its creation, but that is another matter....

71 dB

Quote from: Madiel on June 01, 2022, 04:03:06 PM
That's a rather long time to be living with terminal cancer. So call me skeptical.

Of course you should be skeptical. It is just what I have seen, not a proven mathematical fact!

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

drogulus

If you asked the Uke defense people I think they would tell you the war is going to last for many more months at least, and based on what the expertariat has been saying for a while this has been the consensus view for most of the war. The reason is not hard to see. Russia will take time to exhaust all of its resources. They can fail repeatedly in their main goals while gaining ground here and losing it there. The ghost of General Kutuzov is fighting on the other side.

Poland understands what Russia is up to. Well, everyone does now but the Poles always did. Russia will do whatever it can to plug the invasion routes into Russian territory. They won't stop until they can't go on.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Karl Henning

Quote from: drogulus on June 02, 2022, 07:07:34 AM
Russia will do whatever it can to plug the invasion routes into Russian territory.

Meanwhile, in the West, we see what futile endeavors Napoleon and Hitler headed.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

drogulus

China has Russia's back, or at least they are threatening to have it. Since February the Chinese have been holding military exercises around the city of Harbin where there's a big PLA headquarters. This is not far from the border with Russia. China is the country for which the term "border clash" was invented. There are the ones with India, and in 1969 the Chinese massacred several dozen Soviet border guards for the crime of being border guards.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Karl Henning

Quote from: drogulus on June 02, 2022, 02:24:43 PM
... and in 1969 the Chinese massacred several dozen Soviet border guards for the crime of being border guards.

Sounds like "special operations" to me ....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

JBS

If you asked the Uke defense people I think they would tell you the war is going to last for many more months at least, and based on what the expertariat has been saying for a while this has been the consensus view for most of the war. The reason is not hard to see. Russia will take time to exhaust all of its resources. They can fail repeatedly in their main goals while gaining ground here and losing it there. The ghost of General Kutuzov is fighting on the other side.

Poland understands what Russia is up to. Well, everyone does now but the Poles always did. Russia will do whatever it can to plug the invasion routes into Russian territory. They won't stop until they can't go on.

Bear in mind that historically the invasion routes into Russia were actually invasions of what is now Belarus and Ukraine.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

71 dB

100 days...

I go back to my Elgar avatar for this reason. This problem called Russia isn't going anywhere so better move on with our lives while we can...

LKB

Quote from: 71 dB on June 02, 2022, 09:05:07 PM
100 days...

I go back to my Elgar avatar for this reason. This problem called Russia isn't going anywhere so better move on with our lives while we can...

100 days is nothing, and l'll fly the flag of Ukraine for as long as it takes for Russia to capitulate.  ;)

71 dB

Ex-diplomat of the US and foreign policy expert Elizabeth Shackelford says NATO should smoke Türkeya out. She says the undemocratic nature of the country makes NATO weaker rather than stronger. Türkeya abuses its veto-power against countries who do not support Erdogan's obsession over the Kurds.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/opinion/commentary/ct-opinion-nato-alliance-turkey-divorce-shackelford-20220602-nyreivkfdndtpfivcepjnbv7xy-story.html

krummholz

Quote from: 71 dB on June 03, 2022, 02:22:03 AM
Ex-diplomat of the US and foreign policy expert Elizabeth Shackelford says NATO should smoke Türkeya out. She says the undemocratic nature of the country makes NATO weaker rather than stronger. Türkeya abuses its veto-power against countries who do not support Erdogan's obsession over the Kurds.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/opinion/commentary/ct-opinion-nato-alliance-turkey-divorce-shackelford-20220602-nyreivkfdndtpfivcepjnbv7xy-story.html

She has a point. Unfortunately, as the op-ed states, there is no clear path for doing this.

71 dB

Quote from: krummholz on June 03, 2022, 03:42:31 AM
She has a point. Unfortunately, as the op-ed states, there is no clear path for doing this.

Yeah and Sweden & Finland remain sitting ducks despite of fulfilling the NATO membership requirements. What Türkeya demands from us is ridiculous and nothing to do with NATO.

LKB

Quote from: 71 dB on June 03, 2022, 03:50:28 AM
Yeah and Sweden & Finland remain sitting ducks despite of fulfilling the NATO membership requirements. What Türkeya demands from us is ridiculous and nothing to do with NATO.

There will probably be more member states willing to make bilateral arrangements with both Sweden and Finland, just as the UK have.  Even if NATO membership is delayed, security will still be enhanced. And, Erdogan won't remain in power forever ( though he probably won't be going away anytime soon ).

LKB

So it seems Putin was the target of an assassination attempt, and the rumors of illness may be more than rumors.

https://www.newsweek.com/exclusive-putin-treated-cancer-april-us-intelligence-report-says-1710357