The Back Room > The Diner

Europe at War

<< < (2/741) > >>

Jo498:

--- Quote from: Que on February 20, 2022, 02:46:00 AM ---UK scraps rich foreign investor visa scheme

Too little, too late...

The London City has played the role of Switzerland in the previous century: a safe heaven for dirty money and people with dirty hands.

--- End quote ---
This Swiss/Channel islands/Bahamas/whatever model is easy money for the collaborators. It would have been very easy for powerful countries (like US or even UK, France, Germany if acting together) to stop this long ago (as well as tax havens), but I guess that too many of the powerful people in these powerful western countries also benefit from this. Just another nail in the coffin of our pathetic civilization...

Que:

--- Quote from: vandermolen on February 20, 2022, 03:25:41 AM ---I think that US retreat from Europe, the chaos at the end of Trump's presidency, the chaos and Anglo-American retreat from Afghanistan and Brexit have all encouraged Putin's expansionist plans. The self-congratulatory NATO response to 'victory' in the Cold War has only antagonised Putin. Putin may have tolerated a puppet state on Russia's borders (as in Byelorussia) but not a democratic one like current Ukraine. Putin will fear the spread on genuine democracy into Russia. I find Boris Johnson's grandstanding and mock-churchillian posturing to be nothing more than an attempt to divert attention away from his incompetent and dishonest leadership.

--- End quote ---

It's sad, but the West has dropped the ball and the geopolitical consequences might be grave.

I don’t see Putin backing down: the timing is perfect and the risks very limited.

Que:

--- Quote from: Jo498 on February 20, 2022, 03:34:01 AM ---This Swiss/Channel islands/Bahamas/whatever model is easy money for the collaborators. It would have been very easy for powerful countries (like US or even UK, France, Germany if acting together) to stop this long ago (as well as tax havens), but I guess that too many of the powerful people in these powerful western countries also benefit from this. Just another nail in the coffin of our pathetic civilization...

--- End quote ---

Agreed. It's seems that the drive for money in the Western system is stronger than the instict of self-preservation, and of course morality...

k a rl h e nn i ng:

--- Quote from: Que on February 20, 2022, 01:59:09 AM ---Ukraine: Russia plans biggest war in Europe since 1945 - Boris Johnson

While the US was busy fighting the phantoms of 9/11 and subsequently went on a course of political implosion ...

--- End quote ---

Not to exonerate the US entirely, but it's worth pointing out that the political implosion in the US was also a goal of Putin's towards which he worked actively.

Que:

--- Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 20, 2022, 03:56:05 AM ---Not to exonerate the US entirely, but it's worth pointing out that the political implosion in the US was also a goal of Putin's towards which he worked actively.

--- End quote ---

He worked with fertile ground, but of course it is definitely true that Russia's cyber warfare helped things along.

In a way, Russia declared war on the West years ago but we just didn't (want to) realise it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version