Europe at War

Started by Que, February 20, 2022, 12:59:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

Quote from: Johnnie Burgess on June 29, 2022, 05:23:40 PM
At this time we have not been attacked and Russia has not declared was on the US.  So why should we get involved?

Maybe you should read a bit more about what you were actually doing in World War II before the declaration of war happened. The Wikipedia article on Germany's declaration is as good a place as any.

My entire point, which you seem to have missed, is that Todd (and apparently yourself) would have been against the USA being involved in Europe then just as you are against it now.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

drogulus

Quote from: Madiel on June 29, 2022, 05:30:59 PM
Maybe you should read a bit more about what you were actually doing in World War II before the declaration of war happened. The Wikipedia article on Germany's declaration is as good a place as any.

My entire point, which you seem to have missed, is that Todd (and apparently yourself) would have been against the USA being involved in Europe then just as you are against it now.

If my memory serves me the US was trying to stay out of Europe until it was attacked. NAZIs held a famous rally in Madison Square Garden on February 20, 1939.

Not giving a shit about people far away about which we knew nothing didn't help at all. There was no NATO, but there was industrial strength peacemongering. No peace follows the mongering. That's not what it's for.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

71 dB

Denmark has ratified Finland's (and Sweden's) NATO membership(s) as the first country! Thank you Denmark!  $:)

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

MusicTurner

Quote from: 71 dB on July 05, 2022, 07:22:02 AM
Denmark has ratified Finland's (and Sweden's) NATO membership(s) as the first country! Thank you Denmark!  $:)

Thank you, a large majority of Danes agree with the decision given the circumstances, like me ...

71 dB

Quote from: MusicTurner on July 05, 2022, 07:44:30 AM
Thank you, a large majority of Danes agree with the decision given the circumstances, like me ...

$:)

prémont

Quote from: MusicTurner on July 05, 2022, 07:44:30 AM

..and me.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

71 dB

DavidW

Quote from: 71 dB on July 05, 2022, 07:22:02 AM

Congrats!  I read that today on AP news.  It was weird to see good news in this age!

71 dB

Quote from: DavidW on July 05, 2022, 08:19:19 AM
Congrats!  I read that today on AP news.  It was weird to see good news in this age!

Indeed, but there's 29 countries left Türkeya included...

Denmark was super-fast!  :o
🇩🇰

Todd

Russia gains ground: Russian forces shift target to Donetsk as Zelenskyy vows Ukraine will win back captured Luhansk

Ukraine prematurely requests aid, and it's a doozy of a number: Ukraine unveils $750 billion recovery plan as Russia sets sights on Donetsk

Meanwhile, no formal settlement talks are under way.  Winter is coming.

71 dB

Canada has ratified the NATO memberships as the second country! Thank you Canada for quick action!  $:)
🇨🇦

71 dB

Norway has also ratified! Thank you Norway!  $:)
🇳🇴

71 dB

The fourth country to ratify the NATO memberships of Finland and Sweden was Iceland! Thank you!  $:)
🇮🇸

Madiel

The only surprise in this list is that someone managed to beat any of the Nordic members.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

71 dB

Quote from: Madiel on July 06, 2022, 04:15:39 AM
The only surprise in this list is that someone managed to beat any of the Nordic members.

At this point the political system of countries dictate who is the fastest. Now Estonia has ratified the memberships too, which is not surprising, because Sweden and Finland being part of NATO means a lot to Estonia and they have been hoping us  to join NATO for years... ...thanks Estonia!
🇪🇪

The ratification process is underway in Hungary, North Macedonia, the US, Germany, Lithuania, the Netherlands, Bulgaria and the UK*

EDIT: ratification process has also started in Belgium and Luxemburg.  8)

* The UK is of course in the middle of political crisis, so that may slow things down...  :P

LKB

Quote from: Todd on July 05, 2022, 09:19:41 AM
Russia gains ground: Russian forces shift target to Donetsk as Zelenskyy vows Ukraine will win back captured Luhansk

Ukraine prematurely requests aid, and it's a doozy of a number: Ukraine unveils $750 billion recovery plan as Russia sets sights on Donetsk

Meanwhile, no formal settlement talks are under way.  Winter is coming.

Yes indeed, winter is coming... in five months and a couple of weeks.

Given Putin's recently expressed imperial observations, it should be crystal clearto anyone in the west that Russia's defeat is more of an imperative than ever.

The only acceptable " settlement " is Russian capitulation.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Todd

Quote from: LKB on July 06, 2022, 10:36:33 AMThe only acceptable " settlement " is Russian capitulation.

Zelenskyy's $750 billion ask will only grow.  More Ukrainians will die.  Russia will end up with more territory.  A settlement will be reached. 

It is easy for Americans who thirst for war to type boldly on the internet, offering to sacrifice Ukrainian lives.  For something.

LKB

Appeasement was a mistake before WW2, and so it is today.

War is expensive. The way you deter it is by making it prohibitively expensive for would-be aggressors, not by rewarding them.

Putin is not, after all crazy, which means all the threatening nuclear noise is simply more Russian BS.

The West should keep supplying Ukraine with everything needed until they win.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Todd

Quote from: LKB on July 06, 2022, 10:59:26 AMAppeasement was a mistake before WW2, and so it is today.

Godwin's Law.