Europe at War

Started by Que, February 20, 2022, 12:59:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LKB

Negotiation is folly. Putin would simply use the hiatus to reconstitute his forces and invade Ukraine and/or other nations at some point in the future.

The man is a proven liar, coming from a culture where lying is routine, and even expected.

No negotiations, keep fighting.

LKB,
Warmonger
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Florestan

Meanwhile, a coup was averted in Germany. WTF?
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Herman

Quote from: Florestan on December 07, 2022, 11:23:03 PMMeanwhile, a coup was averted in Germany. WTF?

And one in Peru.

Florestan

Quote from: Herman on December 07, 2022, 11:32:51 PMAnd one in Peru.

Well, Peru has a long history of coups so I am not surprised. For the same reason I wouldn't be surprised by a coup in a Sub-Saharan country, either. But Germany? Germany, for God's sake, right in the heart of the EU! Okay, the so-called Heinrich XIII and his gang are nuts but the mere fact they could conceive such a plan is disturbing. All the more as among the conspirators are former police and military officers.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Herman

Quote from: Florestan on December 08, 2022, 01:09:32 AMthe so-called Heinrich XIII and his gang are nuts but the mere fact they could conceive such a plan is disturbing. All the more as among the conspirators are former police and military officers.

Well, that's the beauty of the internet. One of the more puzzling things is that everywhere these movements are protesting 'globalism', and yet nothing is more international in character than these internet-fuelled violent protest movements.
They were planning a German version of the Jan 6 2021 Capitol storming, and preferably with some real blood flowing this time.

Troubling thing about these law enforcement offs is they steal weapons and ammo for private use. And these guys cover for each other.

Florestan

Quote from: absolutelybaching on December 08, 2022, 01:20:35 AMSuch things are not entirely unknown in places such as the United Kingdom, either!

https://www.historyextra.com/period/20th-century/lord-mountbatten-did-prince-philip-uncle-attempt-lead-coup-harold-wilson-government-crown-true/

To be fair, it appears that our version of Heinrich XIII backed out of the affair long before it got terribly serious, but that an elite was at least discussing the need to replace a democratically-elected government in 1968 might give one pause for breath!

Well, according to the article, not only Mountbatten's role, but the whole thing went no further than a few private chats along the lines of "what if?" and "who then?". The Heinrich XIII affair (or, as a Romanian TV channel aptly put it, Beerhouse Putsch 2.0) is apparently much more serious and advanced in planning. It's obvious they wouldn't have succeeded but the whole thing could have resulted in casualties and confusion. I imagine waking up one morning in January, turn on the TV and read the headlines: "Ongoing coup in Germany. Heavy shootings in and around Bundestag. President declares State of Siege, curfew, orders army to restore the constitutional order". My first thought would have been: Ha, ha! Good one, but come on, time to get to the some un-fake news.

Herman

Also, if these Reichsburger etc guys had unsuccessfully stormed the Reichstag and killed one or two people before getting arrested, it would have been inspiration for copycats in another capital.
These German plans were partly inspired by events in the USA, and you're really looking at a chain reaction....

Fëanor

Quote from: absolutelybaching on December 08, 2022, 01:20:35 AMSuch things are not entirely unknown in places such as the United Kingdom, either!

https://www.historyextra.com/period/20th-century/lord-mountbatten-did-prince-philip-uncle-attempt-lead-coup-harold-wilson-government-crown-true/

To be fair, it appears that our version of Heinrich XIII backed out of the affair long before it got terribly serious, but that an elite was at least discussing the need to replace a democratically-elected government in 1968 might give one pause for breath!

These events were portrayed in Netflix series, The Crown, season 3, episode 5.

Though it never had much likelihood of success, it had attributes of a real coup, i.e. a conspiracy of rich and financially and socially prominent people, not a small rabble of nutbags.

Todd

Quote from: Herman on December 08, 2022, 01:12:57 AMOne of the more puzzling things is that everywhere these movements are protesting 'globalism', and yet nothing is more international in character than these internet-fuelled violent protest movements.

It is not puzzling at all, actually.  The criminal insurgents/heroic revolutionaries are actively using the tools of globalization and the global elite against those in power.  It is also part of how they get caught.  The internet is part of the surveillance state all around the world.  Criminal insurgents/heroic revolutionaries are not too bright.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

milk

Good to hear Griner is out.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: milk on December 08, 2022, 05:07:16 AMGood to hear Griner is out.
Thanks for sharing the good news!

So sorry though that Paul Whelan wasn't able to be part of the deal.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Florestan

I beg to differ. A real coup involves at least actual planning and effective arming; concrete action might or might not take place, depending on how vigilant and informed are the authorities. Mere private talks with no concrete actions or efects whatsoever don't qualify.

Todd

Private talks - aka, the right of free association - is a pillar of civilized society.  Imagine life without Davos, where people really are plotting to take over the world and establish a neo-feudal society as part of The Great Reset.

Having never heard of the fearsome German royal wrapped up in the dastardly plot to overthrow the German government and establish global royal rule, I had to see what Hank the Eighth looked like:

Anyone who cannot organize his outfit for the day is incapable of organizing an effective coup.

Herman

Well, clearly he didn't think of it as a blacktie event.

Todd

JBS

Quote from: Todd on December 08, 2022, 06:10:52 AMPrivate talks - aka, the right of free association - is a pillar of civilized society.  Imagine life without Davos, where people really are plotting to take over the world and establish a neo-feudal society as part of The Great Reset.

Having never heard of the fearsome German royal wrapped up in the dastardly plot to overthrow the German government and establish global royal rule, I had to see what Hank the Eighth looked like:

Anyone who cannot organize his outfit for the day is incapable of organizing an effective coup.

It's Hank the Thirteenth, please.

As I understand it, he was the figurehead, not an organizer (to the extent this affair can be called organized)

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

71 dB

Russia thought it can win the war in 10 days, but even 10 months hasn't been enough. So, we have a permanent conflict in our hands that may escalate into world war III. 2022 sucked big time and to make things worse I was already mentally tired thanks to 2 years of Covid-19 crap before this year even started. I was so ready for better times, but no! Things got worse. Much worse. I guess 2023 will be nuclear and the last year of human civilisation. My optimism for the future is now completely dead. I am now a full 100 % pessimist. I don't live for the future. For the most part I live in the past trying to enjoy the nostalgic times when I still had a lot of optimism in me and foolishly thought there won't be wars in the 21st century anymore. So, I try to enjoy now, because we might not have much time anymore and even if world war III gets postponed far into the future, I may never be able to be optimistic again. The recent years have been too traumatic for me.

That's why I have been so passive on this board recently and especially in this thread. I concentrate on my own life, my immediate surroundings. I listen to the techno music of early 90's (so nostalgic!). I watch Twin Peaks again on Blu-ray. I'm enjoying the snow we have had so much in Finland. The more I close my eyes from the ugly World, the better I feel mentally. I hardly even follow the news anymore. Why bother, if they only make me depressed?
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: 71 dB on December 09, 2022, 01:39:54 AMRussia thought it can win the war in 10 days, but even 10 months hasn't been enough. So, we have a permanent conflict in our hands that may escalate into world war III. 2022 sucked big time and to make things worse I was already mentally tired thanks to 2 years of Covid-19 crap before this year even started. I was so ready for better times, but no! Things got worse. Much worse. I guess 2023 will be nuclear and the last year of human civilisation. My optimism for the future is now completely dead. I am now a full 100 % pessimist. I don't live for the future. For the most part I live in the past trying to enjoy the nostalgic times when I still had a lot of optimism in me and foolishly thought there won't be wars in the 21st century anymore. So, I try to enjoy now, because we might not have much time anymore and even if world war III gets postponed far into the future, I may never be able to be optimistic again. The recent years have been too traumatic for me.

That's why I have been so passive on this board recently and especially in this thread. I concentrate on my own life, my immediate surroundings. I listen to the techno music of early 90's (so nostalgic!). I watch Twin Peaks again on Blu-ray. I'm enjoying the snow we have had so much in Finland. The more I close my eyes from the ugly World, the better I feel mentally. I hardly even follow the news anymore. Why bother, if they only make me depressed?
Glad that you are finding ways to enjoy life and decrease your stress levels.  One thing that I've learned is that listening to the news too much can drive you crazy and, like you have been experiencing, to depression.  Hang in there and continue to look for the joy in life...in all of its big and little guises and be grateful for the (often unexpected) them.  Harder to do than said I know.

And enjoy many snowy walks...particularly when the sun is shining.  Makes such a difference in the wintertime.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

71 dB

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 09, 2022, 05:40:31 AMGlad that you are finding ways to enjoy life and decrease your stress levels.  One thing that I've learned is that listening to the news too much can drive you crazy and, like you have been experiencing, to depression.  Hang in there and continue to look for the joy in life...in all of its big and little guises and be grateful for the (often unexpected) them.  Harder to do than said I know.
I did follow (Finnish) news less a few years ago, but Covid-19 pandemic made me follow news all the time to be as well informed as possible. During 2021 I started following less, but when the war started I followed it too much and I have needed to cut my news consumption to minimum (the optimal situation is to hear about things exactly once, but that's almost impossible in the current World of constant flow of information everywhere).

Stress levels are difficult to keep down, because the war affects everyones lives so much. Inflation, energy crisis and so on... ...recently I learned about Vagus nerve and how to stimulate it (ear massage) to ease stress and tension, but I am an absolute beginner on this stuff...

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 09, 2022, 05:40:31 AMAnd enjoy many snowy walks...particularly when the sun is shining. Makes such a difference in the wintertime.  :)

PD

In fact I did do just that today! ;D
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Todd

US Sounds Alarm Over 'Harmful' Iran-Russia Military Partnership

Maybe the US should impose sanctions on Iran.  That'd show 'em.

In unrelated news:

NATO chief fears Ukraine war could spiral into wider conflict between West and Russia

Nothing to see here.  Keep fighting.  No negotiations.