Europe at War

Started by Que, February 20, 2022, 12:59:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

From the NIH: Censoring political opposition online: Who does it and why

Conclusion:

Quote from: Ashwini Ashokkumar, et alContemporary pundits often blame the apparent increase in polarization on "the internet" or "social media." Researchers have found some basis for such assertions by demonstrating that internet users are indeed selectively exposed to evidence that would lend support to their views. Our findings move beyond this literature by demonstrating that moderators employ censorship to not only bring online content into harmony with their values, but to actively advance their causes and attack opponents of their causes. From this vantage point, those whose political beliefs are rooted in their identities are not passive participants in online polarization; rather, they are agentic actors who actively curate online environments by censoring content that challenges their ideological positions. By providing a window into the psychological processes underlying these processes, our research may open up a broader vista of related processes for systematic study

Some people want to interact in echo chambers.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Fëanor

Quote from: Todd on February 04, 2023, 04:56:10 AMGermany Has Evidence of War Crimes in Ukraine 'In Three-Digit Range' - Prosecutor

I'd surely like to see what is meant by "three-digit range".  It would seem to me that it would be higher.  It is also clear that the count will only go up as the war continues and the West continues its cold-blooded policy of sacrificing Ukrainian lives to weaken Russia in furtherance of explictly stated US policy. 

Whataboutism.

Fëanor

Quote from: Todd on February 03, 2023, 05:25:27 AMYou clearly missed the most important bit of the story.

Different customers, different means.

Todd

Quote from: Fëanor on February 04, 2023, 07:39:11 AMWhataboutism.

Fundamentally incorrect.

Quote from: Fëanor on February 04, 2023, 07:40:10 AMDifferent customers, different means.

It's rather more than just different means.

Florestan

Quote from: Herman on February 03, 2023, 11:10:55 PMwhy does "Incorrect" bug you so much?

Because "Incorrect" full stop betrays a fundamental disdain of one's opponent. If "Incorrect" were followed by a thoughtful explanation of why it was incorrect, I'd have nothing to complain about.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Quote from: Herman on February 03, 2023, 11:10:55 PMTodd used to be a moderator

OMG!

In my book, "Todd as moderator" is the exact equivalent of "Nietzsche as Germanophile".
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Todd

Quote from: Florestan on February 04, 2023, 08:17:44 AMIn my book, "Todd as moderator" is the exact equivalent of "Nietzsche as Germanophile".

Can you elaborate on what you clearly think of as a clever post?  If not, that's fine.

Todd

China Helping Russia's War With Ukraine With Military Aid—Violating Sanctions—Reports Show

Hmmm.  A national security threat in the form of a terrifying balloon, and now this.  This is how wars escalate.

Madiel

Quote from: Spotted Horses on February 04, 2023, 07:03:14 AMIt seems odd to demand someone kicked out of a forum like this, which has a generally laissez-faire approach to moderation, because he or she is annoying without explicitly breaking any rules, just because some people are incapable of restraining themselves from reading or replying.

Well I guess that we don't have an explicit rule against advocating, say, poisoning children because we didn't imagine anyone was going to do it. While I write laws for a living, I'm not in this situation going and checking what the rules say. We have a member who is derailing a conversation, advocating quite horrible positions on a topic, and explicitly saying how useless and pathetic the forum and its members are. If none of the rules cover that then it's time to fix the rules and/or to ask exactly why it is you need rules to tell people something as obvious as the last of those in particular.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on February 04, 2023, 08:17:44 AMOMG!

In my book, "Todd as moderator" is the exact equivalent of "Nietzsche as Germanophile".

It's certainly an interesting data point.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Herman

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 04, 2023, 11:08:38 AMIt's certainly an interesting data point.

Surely you were around at that time?

Herman

Quote from: Florestan on February 04, 2023, 08:15:16 AMBecause "Incorrect" full stop betrays a fundamental disdain of one's opponent.

well, but that's his entire point, and to get mad about it only gives him satisfaction.
so don't. just ignore.

Todd

A stink of corruption in Ukraine: the bad smell coming out of Kyiv

Best headline of the week.  Time's corrupt Puppet of the Year is doing some more housecleaning before an upcoming meeting with EU leaders. 

Note that The Week is described by Media Bias Fact Check and All Sides as "Left" and as delivering factual reporting.

One thing that definitely should not happen is an audit of the lucre bequeathed to the new Bastion of Democracy.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Herman on February 04, 2023, 06:51:19 PMSurely you were around at that time?
Not sure, @Herman ... I don't seem to have any recollection of his being a mod. Could be an item that dropped out of my brain in my stroke....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

drogulus

From The Week, a notoriuosly facty leftist rag:

'Keeping officials under a magnifying glass'

There's some good news in all this, said Yulia Lavryshyn on Zn.Ua (Kyiv). The war may have provided cover for crooks, but the slew of media revelations that has brought about the ousting of these officials shows that Ukraine's free press is well capable of "keeping officials under a magnifying glass" even in the present dire circumstances.

Ordinary Ukrainians are understandably furious that graft remains so prevalent in their country, said Stefan Wolff and Tatyana Malyarenko on The Conversation (Melbourne). Ukraine's economy is being battered by the war, and while these people are feasting on public funds most people are struggling to survive.

But few hold Zelenskyy responsible for the ongoing scandals: his approval ratings remain sky high and most people back him to make good on his prewar promises to root out wrongdoing. It's imperative he does so. Last week's welcome news that both Germany and the US will send tanks to Ukraine was "clearly linked" to Zelenskyy's new anti-graft initiative. How well he manages to solve the corruption problems will determine the shape of Ukraine's postwar future.

So Zelensky is a puppet of Western anti-corruption mongers? Say it ain't so!!

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Madiel

As previously noted, Zelenskyy has been talking about corruption since he was a fictional President. It's a major theme, arguably THE major theme, of Servant of the People.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

SimonNZ

Arguing with an editors click-bait headline instead of reading the reporters actual text is the kind of semiliterate dullard behavior that Todd used to be above.

Karl Henning

Quote from: SimonNZ on February 05, 2023, 12:42:33 PMArguing with an editors click-bait headline instead of reading the reporters actual text is the kind of semiliterate dullard behavior that Todd used to be above.
I almost don't remember that bygone era ....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

JBS

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 05, 2023, 08:59:14 AMNot sure, @Herman ... I don't seem to have any recollection of his being a mod. Could be an item that dropped out of my brain in my stroke....

I certainly have no recollection of it.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Madiel