Stalingrad Symphony by Kalinkovich

Started by Roy Bland, February 20, 2022, 04:52:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy Bland

Grigori Kalinkovich was born on June 11, 1917 in Dzhankoy, Taurida province.

He studied at the Simferopol Music School with teachers E. P. Seferova and Ya. I. Bogorad. In 1935 he entered the Moscow State Conservatory (now named after P. I. Tchaikovsky) and graduated from it (piano class of A. B. Goldenweiser) in 1940. In 1942 he graduated from the Military Conducting Faculty of the Conservatory and entered the faculty's postgraduate course. After graduating from it in the composition class with B. N. Lyatoshinsky in 1945, until 1978 he taught at the Higher School of Military Bandmasters - the Higher School of Military Conductors - the Institute of Military Conductors - the Military Conducting Faculty at the Moscow State Conservatory: since 1945 - a teacher, then , after defending a Ph.D. thesis in 1954 and receiving the title of candidate of art criticism, since 1955 - associate professor, in 1958-1960 - deputy head of the department, since 1960 - senior lecturer, since 1966 - head of the department of instrumentation and reading scores.
He died on June 7, 1992 in Moscow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYPLVH9CX_U

vandermolen

Quote from: Roy Bland on February 20, 2022, 04:52:36 AM

He studied at the Simferopol Music School with teachers E. P. Seferova and Ya. I. Bogorad. In 1935 he entered the Moscow State Conservatory (now named after P. I. Tchaikovsky) and graduated from it (piano class of A. B. Goldenweiser) in 1940. In 1942 he graduated from the Military Conducting Faculty of the Conservatory and entered the faculty's postgraduate course. After graduating from it in the composition class with B. N. Lyatoshinsky in 1945, until 1978 he taught at the Higher School of Military Bandmasters - the Higher School of Military Conductors - the Institute of Military Conductors - the Military Conducting Faculty at the Moscow State Conservatory: since 1945 - a teacher, then , after defending a Ph.D. thesis in 1954 and receiving the title of candidate of art criticism, since 1955 - associate professor, in 1958-1960 - deputy head of the department, since 1960 - senior lecturer, since 1966 - head of the department of instrumentation and reading scores.
Interesting, although the opening sounds like it's a direct quotation from Shostakovich's 11th Symphony 'The Year 1905'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

relm1

Quote from: Roy Bland on February 20, 2022, 04:52:36 AM

I really liked it.  Thanks for introducing me to a composer I've never heard of before.