Mozart's Serenades and Divertimenti

Started by vers la flamme, February 20, 2022, 08:23:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vers la flamme

What are some recordings of Mozart's Serenades that you like?

Here are a few that come to mind:

In dire need of more...

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Jo498

Wind serenades: K 361, 375, 388 Ensemble Zefiro or Harnoncourt

Haffner K 250, Posthorn K 320 Harnoncourt/Dresden or Brown/AoStMitF (Hänssler)

There are 3 or 4 more earlier similar large scale orchestral serenades (K 203, 204?), that are justifiedly eclipsed by the two mentioned above, Harnoncourt has done at least one of them.

(I don't count the string divertimento K 563)

K 251 Nannerl Septet Harnoncourt

Divertimento K 334 Vegh, or Marriner

If the Vegh box is still so cheap, get it; the single discs are probably also cheap to find separately.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Mandryka

Quote from: vers la flamme on February 20, 2022, 08:23:59 AM

L'Archibudelli playing K 334. You may also like a set of two CDs by Zefiro with Gran Partita and some lovely transcriptions of Mozart operas for wind band, I think Mozart made them himself.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

vers la flamme

JBS

Quote from: Mandryka on February 20, 2022, 09:42:48 AM
L'Archibudelli playing K 334. You may also like a set of two CDs by Zefiro with Gran Partita and some lovely transcriptions of Mozart operas for wind band, I think Mozart made them himself.

The usual term for those is Harmoniemusik. They are quite nice, although I believe they all derive from our old friend Anonymous.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Spotted Horses

I have the Sandor Vegh set, it is nice, I'd put it above all of the traditional sets (Bohm, etc). Generally I would go for Harnoncourt.

One set I really love is this one:

It includes clarinet trios that Mozart apparently wrote for Masonic functions, which are simply miraculous.

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Biffo

Quote from: vers la flamme on February 20, 2022, 08:23:59 AM

Here are a few that come to mind:

In dire need of more...

If you enjoyed the Academy's recording of KV361 you might also like their 'Haffner' Serenade, KV250.

Mandryka

I had a listen today to Vegh play my favourite, K 334. It is outstanding, and the modern instruments make it the aural analogue of a comfortable chunky sweater, or a big snugly sofa. Such class! Such élan! Tremendous inspired incandescent playing. I thought to myself something which has never crossed my mind before - this Divertimento is as much a masterpiece as the Prague Symphony - I mean, it's top tier Mozart.

It made me hanker after a slice of apple strudel.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

staxomega

Pretty sure Aer Lingus would play K287 while we were waiting to take off. The whole divertimenti and serenades would make for fine elevator music too.

Jo498

K 334 has two great slow movements, especially the variations in the minor. (Even this is IMO not quite as good as the slow movements of the earlier/contemporary K 271 and 364) But the first movement is rather lightweight (as fitting for a divertimento) and I think the final Rondo is too long. Also, the only fault of Vegh's recording might be that the horns are extremely polite/in the background. I have no longer another recording but I think Marriner brought the horns out better.

The serenades etc. usually contain some great music, other striking examples for me are the d minor andantino and the concertante movements in the "Posthorn" and the "violin concerto" in the Haffner and more. But there is also quite a bit of generic stuff and "stuffing" because many of them are fairly long works, 40+ min.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

MusicTurner

- Vegh generally;
- Harnoncourt/Teldec is a superb 'Posthorn';
- the Brilliant Classics set is also surprisingly good.

Olias

I recently got this set and am enjoying it very much.

"It is the artists of the world, the feelers, and the thinkers who will ultimately save us." - Leonard Bernstein