Everyone fires Valery Gergiev

Started by Brian, March 01, 2022, 05:05:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CRCulver

Quote from: Todd on April 17, 2022, 10:45:01 AM
The piece you linked to is a hatchet job.  One should always be mindful of sources.

The investigations by the Navalny Foundation, harsh as they are in their criticism, are quite respectable – multiple governments use them as a source for their enforcement of sanctions.

Todd

Quote from: CRCulver on April 18, 2022, 04:23:18 PMmultiple governments use them as a source for their enforcement of sanctions.

This assertion does not validate the article.

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Lisztianwagner

I haven't got recordings performed by Gergiev; I remember his Tannhäuser at the Bayreuth Festival 2019 and it was fine, though not unforgettable, but anyway I was quite disappointed that he decided not to take position against the war; there's difference between your country and its government, and the love someone can have for the first doesn't mean he has to approve the second.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Florestan

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on April 27, 2022, 02:52:18 AM
there's difference between your country and its government, and the love someone can have for the first doesn't mean he has to approve the second.

Amen!
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on April 27, 2022, 02:52:18 AM
I haven't got recordings performed by Gergiev; I remember his Tannhäuser at the Bayreuth Festival 2019 and it was fine, though not unforgettable, but anyway I was quite disappointed that he decided not to take position against the war; there's difference between your country and its government, and the love someone can have for the first doesn't mean he has to approve the second.

Well said, Ilaria.

Florestan

IIRC, it was Winston Churchill who said something to the effect that "my country, right or wrong" is equivalent to "my mother, sober or drunk".
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Todd

Munich Philharmonic concertmaster tours with former chief conductor Gergiev

Should Nasturica-Herschcowici's career be demolished as a result of his immoral treachery? 

(Fortunately, the Munich Philharmonic investigated the "legality" of the tour, and concluded it is copacetic.  Whew!)
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya