Aleksander Tansman (1897-1986)

Started by Maciek, August 29, 2007, 03:34:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maciek

Well, if you ever change your mind, my offer stands - I'll be glad to help.

Maciek

Just noticed that Chandos released a disc of Tansman's piano music back in June. Anyone heard it?

Mirror Image

Thought I would resurrect this thread since it's last post was in 09. I listened to Tansman's Symphony No. 4 and have to say that the music did little for me. It was quite well-crafted, but craft alone doesn't make a composition click for me. There has to be much more, much, much more. His debt to Stravinsky is obvious, but, at the same time, Tansman isn't really coming up with anything unique either. He'll throw in a little jazz here or there, but Ravel, Stravinsky, Milhaud, and Gershwin did this much better. As another poster said, I think it was Colin (?), but they said the music was unmemorable and indeed it was. It doesn't have that extra bit of spice Prokofiev or Stravinsky has. Tansman obviously had a great musical ability, he was a virtuoso pianist, but musical ability doesn't always translate to being a great composer. You have to have a wild imagination and I think Tansman's music, or at least from this symphony, seemed to lack much of an original concept and a compositional voice.

Dundonnell

Scarpia

I've been exploring the music of Tansman recently, and have been very impressed with his works for clarinet (chamber music and concerti).

[asin]B000OQDRX2[/asin]

[asin]B004OZRPDM[/asin]

More recently I've listened to this disc.

[asin]B007HOEZKS[/asin]

The concertino for piano and orchestra is a wonderful piece, bursting with neoclassical energy, perhaps in the manner of works by Stravinsky for the same combination of instruments.  I was also very impressed with two orchestral pieces which were written in recognition of the deaths of composers Tansman was close to, Milhaud and Stravinsky.  These late pieces are in a freer style than the early works of Tansman, and strike me more as homages to the works of those composers than mourning pieces.  Both are full of arresting sonorities and moods.   This is an example of taking a chance on a disc, and having a pleasant surprise.

Next on the list is probably the string quartets, which I managed to acquire recently but never found time to listen to.

snyprrr

I'd love to know what his Masterpiece is. I was just checking him a few days ago.

The new erato

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 11, 2011, 04:30:11 PM
Thought I would resurrect this thread since it's last post was in 09. I listened to Tansman's Symphony No. 4 and have to say that the music did little for me. It was quite well-crafted, but craft alone doesn't make a composition click for me. There has to be much more, much, much more. His debt to Stravinsky is obvious, but, at the same time, Tansman isn't really coming up with anything unique either. He'll throw in a little jazz here or there, but Ravel, Stravinsky, Milhaud, and Gershwin did this much better. As another poster said, I think it was Colin (?), but they said the music was unmemorable and indeed it was. It doesn't have that extra bit of spice Prokofiev or Stravinsky has. Tansman obviously had a great musical ability, he was a virtuoso pianist, but musical ability doesn't always translate to being a great composer. You have to have a wild imagination and I think Tansman's music, or at least from this symphony, seemed to lack much of an original concept and a compositional voice.
I have a few Tansman discs, including that symphony disc, and I agree completely. Curiously enough I could have substituted Tcherepnin fils in the above paragraph and it would have covered my opinion on him as well.....

snyprrr

I could've sworn this Thread was up not too long ago?

Anyway, Tansman has been caught up in my post-Stravinsky trawling, along with LesSix and the rest of the Frenchies. I'm finding Tansman's wind work a little more anonymous than his cohorts...

I have:

Suite for ww trio

'Sorcerer...' ww/pf sextet

Nonet for ww/str

I did try the String Quartets at one point... eh... can anyone point me to the best one? I did NOT care for No.1 'Trypich'(?). One or two other tries with Tansman is about all I'm up for. Apparently, he was good chums with Igor in Hollywood, and his earlier music is much more indicative of his range as he became an acolyte musically after the 40s?

Parsifal

Quote from: snyprrr on October 16, 2017, 08:06:41 AMOne or two other tries with Tansman is about all I'm up for.

Did you consider any of the works I mentioned in my post above from 2012? I found a lot to enjoy in those works.

kyjo

I really like Tansman's 4th and 5th symphonies, which have been recorded by Chandos. They have very inventive orchestration and more depth than I was expecting (based on some reviews that I had read). Anyone who enjoys, say, Roussel, Honegger, or Martinu will enjoy these works (though not to say that Tansman really "sounds like" these composers).
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Baron Scarpia

Listened to the 4th and 5th symphonies again. I think Tansman is at his best in the lighthearted parts of these works. The fugato finale of the 4th and the scherzo of the 5th were very engaging. In the slow movements I have the impression of music with a lot of texture but without a strong main idea which is being conveyed. In the same way that people will characterize Medner as "Rachmaninoff without tunes" Tansman gives the impression of neoclassical Stravinsky without tunes. I came across another recording of the 4th (Yinon on Koch) which I may listen to next.

I continue to feel that Tansman's best work is in his chamber music.

Baron Scarpia

After listening to another performance of the 4th symphony, my impression is completely changed.

[asin]B00004TDGW[/asin]

This recording by Yinon on the Koch label seems almost like another piece of music. Whereas the Caetani recording of Chandos seemed to have a sonic palette consisting of different shades of grey, Yinon finds bright colour in this music. Particularly remarkable are the outer movements. The first movement slow introduction exhibits rich sonorities and harmonies that I did not appreciate in Olegs recording, and the finale in Yinon's recording just seems infinitely more colourful. Doing a little comparison, I think the issue with Oleg use of tempos that are to fast to let the music breath. Yinon's first movement is about 12 minutes, vs about 9 minutes for Caetani!

snyprrr

Last night was my Tansman catch-up... besides what I already have, these discs seemed to me to hold the most promise. Will go back through Thread later:

NAXOS Clarinet disc(s)

Vol.4 of the Chandos Cycle

CPO with 'Stele' and left-hand PC

snyprrr

So, basically, is this Tansman?"

1) 1920-1940

Developing his own brand of what sounds to me like Martinu+Malipiero

2) The 1940s

Apparently the influence of Stravinsky looms over this NeoClassical phase... all I know is I found these works, including the
Symphonies 5-8, not particularly to my liking

3) Later Music

I really enjoyed the 'Stele' and 'Elegie' from the '70s, he now reminds me of the Polish Colorists, maybe like Baird and Bacewz

Symphonic Addict

This disc has some arresting music. It's Tansman in a more restrained mood. The Concerto for Orchestra did the least favourable impression on me, but the Six Etudes and Capriccio are wonderful, above all the latter. The slow movements of the two aforementioned works are imbued with a striking use of the orchestra to conjure up intriguing soundscapes and atmospheres.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 18, 2023, 09:22:02 AMThis disc has some arresting music. It's Tansman in a more restrained mood. The Concerto for Orchestra did the least favourable impression on me, but the Six Etudes and Capriccio are wonderful, above all the latter. The slow movements of the two aforementioned works are imbued with a striking use of the orchestra to conjure up intriguing soundscapes and atmospheres.

I haven't heard the works on this CD, but can attest that some of Tansman's most interesting orchestral works are those in "non-traditional" forms. One of the most striking ones I've encountered is the late (1967-68) Quatre mouvements pour orchestre, which, as you say, contains some really imaginative orchestration and rather unsettling "modernist" effects, all in all while remaining a relatively accessible work. It can be found on this Chandos CD, which also contains another Tansman favorite of mine, the jazzy/neoclassical Symphony no. 3 Symphonie concertante for piano, violin, viola, cello, and orchestra:

Also, I'm sure I've previously professed my love for his colorful and jazzy ballet Bric à Brac, finely recorded on CPO:

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff