Wake On LAN is so annoying

Started by Mandryka, March 24, 2022, 09:39:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

I really like WOL and use it all the time when it works. I just want to be able wake up my computer (upstairs) while I'm in a room downstairs (to play some music!)

The problem I have is that it suddenly stops working for a while for no obvious reason. And then mysteriously starts again for no obvious reason a few weeks/months after that.

It has just stopped again!

All the settings are fine as far as I can see -- I mean, none have been changed since when it was working perfectly.

All the device drivers are up to date.

I'm running windows 10.

Everything has been restarted, including the router.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Wake on LAN is a function in Windows to remotely wake a computer. Imagine the computer is the princess and I am the prince. With WOL I can wake the princess by blowing her a kiss (called a magic package) across the network.

Except it don't work.

Spotted Horses

Epitomizes the frustratingly fragile interdependency of complicated, not particularly elegant technologies. Probably a windows update or a configuration change applied to your modem or router by your ISP interfered with it.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Mandryka

WOL has suddenly started working again -- there must have been an update of some kind from microsoft.

My question now is: is there anything I can do so that, if it does change again and stops working, I can retrieve the current settings?