Malipiero's mausoleum

Started by Scriptavolant, May 31, 2007, 08:33:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

I also really like the SQs; one in particular although I couldn't remember which one, so I tracked back to page 1 of this thread (2007) to learn that it was SQ No.5 which I'm playing now:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Symphonic Addict

Time for resurrecting this thread. We really need a new cycle from Chandos or CPO, for example. I'm listening to his Sinfonia in un tempo (Naxos-Marco Polo set) and, whilst rather distinctive, somewhat acerbic and with unmistakable Italian voice, the orchestral playing could be more committed if played by a more reputable orchestra, by people who enjoy the journey. Alas, a sub-par interpretation.

The piece in itself is interesting, I don't deny it.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on February 11, 2022, 01:16:20 PM
Time for resurrecting this thread. We really need a new cycle from Chandos or CPO, for example. I'm listening to his Sinfonia in un tempo (Naxos-Marco Polo set) and, whilst rather distinctive, somewhat acerbic and with unmistakable Italian voice, the orchestral playing could be more committed if played by a more reputable orchestra, by people who enjoy the journey. Alas, a sub-par interpretation.

The Marco Polo (Naxos) cycle is completely dull and, quite frankly, drained of any kind of inner life. One of the problems is with the conductor who I find an absolute bore (Antonio de Almeida). Thankfully, there are some fine performances of various symphonies outside of this cycle. Honestly, I don't think a symphony cycle will happen. I like a lot of Malipiero's music, but he is an uneven composer --- some works stick others just don't do much for me. Of all the symphonies, the 6th ("Degli archi") is my favorite, but NOT the Almeida performance. ;) I also like the SQs and various concerti (piano, violin and cello).

Symphonic Addict

I'm not giving up in being optimistic!  :P

CPO has made several contributions to recording some of his output, so I expect something in the near future (until 2024).
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Karl Henning

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on February 11, 2022, 01:16:20 PM

I think it's a great piece, in need of superb embassage!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on February 11, 2022, 01:47:28 PM
I'm not giving up in being optimistic!  :P

CPO has made several contributions to recording some of his output, so I expect something in the near future (until 2024).

Well, they recorded some Casella, too, but nothing really manifested past that one recording of his Sinfonia with Alun Francis. They currently have more Respighi recordings in their catalog than Casella or Malipiero.

Alex Bozman

The Sinfonia in un tempo was one of my favourite pieces in the Marco Polo Malipiero symphony cycle. If that was a poor interpretation, it's certainly whetted my appetite for a better version!

Karl Henning

Quote from: Alex Bozman on February 14, 2022, 08:35:11 AM
The Sinfonia in un tempo was one of my favourite pieces in the Marco Polo Malipiero symphony cycle. If that was a poor interpretation, it's certainly whetted my appetite for a better version!

Truly!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Spotted Horses

The world has gone mad for cycles. That is how we get things like the disappointing, under-rehearsed de Almeida cycle. Better that a conductor who has experience performing this music somehow convince an enterprising record label to record a symphony.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Mirror Image

Quote from: Spotted Horses on February 14, 2022, 01:23:42 PM
The world has gone mad for cycles. That is how we get things like the disappointing, under-rehearsed de Almeida cycle. Better that a conductor who has experience performing this music somehow convince an enterprising record label to record a symphony.

I think for a record label to record Malipiero at all is a brave move. While I don't like the Almeida cycle, I do have to commend Marco Polo for at least making the effort. As for your comment about the world going mad for cycles, I think that's an over-exaggeration. Saying that one hopes a label would record a cycle of Malipiero symphonies is only wishful thinking. It won't happen in any of our lifetimes.

Spotted Horses

Revisiting the de Almeida recordings of the Malipiero symphonies has been a pleasant journey so far. Malipiero's music has many elements that I enjoy, a contrapuntal texture, diatonic basis but with free use of chromaticism, generally succinct multi-movement formats. And returning to these recordings I don't understand why I had any issue with them on the first encounter.

Most recently I listened to the 8th symphony, and was very impressed with Malipiero's use of the horns, particularly in the first two movements.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Symphonic Addict

This Naxos disc contains some of the most entertaining music Malipiero ever wrote IMO. La Cimarosiana and Symphonic fragments from 'Tre commedie goldoniane' are especially sparkling. An outstanding CD.

Noam Chomsky

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 04, 2023, 12:56:10 PMThis Naxos disc contains some of the most entertaining music Malipiero ever wrote IMO. La Cimarosiana and Symphonic fragments from 'Tre commedie goldoniane' are especially sparkling. An outstanding CD.

Thanks for the tip, Cesar! It's encouraging to see that this recording doesn't feature a certain Moscow Symphony Orchestra... ;)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA