Erich Wolfgang Korngold

Started by tjguitar, April 15, 2007, 06:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: erato on May 21, 2007, 01:21:58 AM
I'd go for Welzer-Møst on a cheap EMI CD for the symphony.

That's a v good recording.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

tjguitar

Chandos has reissued its Korngold recordings it seems:

tjguitar

Stromberg and the Moscow Symphony are going to be recording the complete score to The Prince and the Pauper next year.

By my count, that's the 6th complete Korngold score from that team? Cool!

I do wish that some label would record a complete Juarez and Captain Blood, although the latter seems unlikely because of the Lizst cue.

Pretty soon, we could have complete score recordings for all 17 of Korngold films. :D

Kullervo

I love this opera, improbable libretto and all.

Lethevich

Quote from: Corey on November 19, 2007, 01:28:56 PM

I love this opera, improbable libretto and all.

That recording is great. I am surprised there haven't been more performances of the work - especially in Europe, as there is ample room in the plot for gratuotous nudity to satisfy the patrons :P
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Kullervo

Quote from: Lethe on November 19, 2007, 01:33:32 PM
That recording is great. I am surprised there haven't been more performances of the work - especially in Europe, as there is ample room in the plot for gratuotous nudity to satisfy the patrons :P

I would imagine the staging would be difficult, and the instrumentation is pretty non-standard. I think there are at least five keyboard instruments. Hmm, I need to listen to this again soon.

Lethevich

Quote from: Corey on November 19, 2007, 01:35:51 PM
I would imagine the staging would be difficult, and the instrumentation is pretty non-standard. I think there are at least five keyboard instruments. Hmm, I need to listen to this again soon.

Indeedie - but I never underestimate how much money European politicians are willing to pump into white elephant arts projects. It's one of the things I love about this place :D

Novi

Quote from: Lethe on November 19, 2007, 01:33:32 PM

Hey Lethe, Wednesday this week ...
http://shop.lpo.org.uk/performances/detail.asp?1205,63,0,0,0
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

Lethevich

Quote from: Novitiate on November 19, 2007, 03:18:59 PM
Hey Lethe, Wednesday this week ...
http://shop.lpo.org.uk/performances/detail.asp?1205,63,0,0,0

How silly of me - I've actually been on that exact page recently. I created a DWDH article for Wikipedia, and was looking for sources - I assumed it was for an old performance, not a future one :)

Grazioso

I just heard his Symphony in F# for the first time

Can't say I like the engineering on this disc at all, but the symphony is darn impressive: a heavy, dark work leavened with a dash of Hollywood romance.
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

J.Z. Herrenberg

I love EWK's work. His Sinfonietta is of astonishing maturity - he was 14 when he wrote it. I also like his Piano Concerto for the Left hand, his Symphony in F sharp, and the symphonic poem Sursum Corda. His Symphonic Serenade for string orchestra is one of the most beautiful essays in the genre. And the opera 'Das Wunder der Heliane' ends in an ecstasy that really makes you soar.

A wonderful composer!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Wanderer

Time to resurrect this. I had written an answer to a recent thread about Korngold's violin concerto just in time to find it - deservedly - locked. Maybe the relevant posts from that thread should be moved here?

For my taste, the best overall renditions of Korngold's violin concerto available are those by Schmid and Shaham. They are both brilliant and manage to sound quite different; the Vienna version manages to gloriously illustrate the bittersweet Korngoldian harmonies and atmosphere in an electrifying performance, whereas the LSO version paints a more exuberant, virtuosic soundscape. I slightly prefer Schmid's performance, but I wouldn't want to be without Shaham, either.

The Oehms release has the advantage of an all-Korngold program, immaculately performed. The op.23 suite for two violins, cello and left hand piano (a second Wittgenstein commission, after his satisfaction with the op.17 left hand piano concerto Korngold had composed for him) is a glorious work that ought to be standard repertoire and it receives an impressively atmospheric performance here, as well.

knight66

Here is the relevent post from the locked thread

Mike

Quote from: Corey on June 14, 2008, 09:01:07 PM
This is the only recording I have of the Korngold concerto:

(In case the text is too tiny for you to read, the soloist is Chantal Juillet, with John Mauceri conducting the Berlin RSO.)

It is coupled with the completely-forgotten Krenek concerto, which has a gauzy, Berg-like atmosphere (though sounds nothing like the Berg concerto), and Weill's concerto for violin and wind ensemble, which is a nice slice of 20's modernism a la Hindemith.

If I had the time and money, I would buy as much as the Entartete Musik as I could, before it disappears completely.
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Guido

I really want to get recordings of Die Tote Stadt, and Die stumme Serenade. What is the best recording of the former, and is there a recording of the latter?
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Wanderer

For Die tote Stadt, I'd recommend Leinsdorf. Segerstam on Naxos is also quite good (and cheap) and it would serve as an excellent second version.

I don't think there's a recording for Die stumme Serenade.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Wanderer on June 15, 2008, 03:09:03 AM
I don't think there's a recording for Die stumme Serenade.

On Wikipedia I read the following about the availability or otherwise of Die Stumme Serenade:

Ein hausinterner Mitschnitt auf DVD der Wiederaufführung im Münchner Haus der Kunst existiert. Er ist über die Hochschule für Musik und Theater München erhältlich.

Which means that an in-house recording of a production given at the Munich 'Haus der Kunst' exists on DVD, which you can order through the 'Hochschule für Musik und Theater' in Munich...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Guido

Cheers to both of you. I just ordered both versions of Die Tote Stadt as the Naxos was so cheap! I might look into getting that DVD Jezetha.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

scarpia

Quote from: tjguitar on April 15, 2007, 06:23:22 PM
One of my favorite non-British composers, especially a fan of his film work.

Here is the strangest thing, that someone could have a "favorite non-British composer."  To divide composers into British and non-British is like dividing the bobsled teams into "Jamaican and non-Jamaican."

tjguitar

when it comes to Classical, the majority I listen to is British.

As far as music in general, I don't think the same qualifier would be valid/accurate.