Erich Wolfgang Korngold

Started by tjguitar, April 15, 2007, 06:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Well, judging by a fairly quick scan of this thread, it seems that other than film music, one must be pretty much content with the violin concerto and the string quartets. I have the Perlman concerto and I like it fine. And I have these string quartets;

which I haven't seen earlier in the thread, except that I am guessing that the Brilliant disk is a reissue of this one. What else of his music can I not live without? :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Franco Mezzena (Violin) - Viotti G 034 Concerto #6 in E for Violin 1st mvmt - Allegro
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Scarpia

There's the opera, which is rather good in the Korngoldian way (rich orchestration, etc) and there is a series of songs.

Wanderer

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 01, 2010, 06:45:40 PM
What else of his music can I not live without? :)

The op.23 Suite for 2 violins, cello & piano left hand, the (left hand) piano concerto, the cello concerto, the late Symphony, the Suite from "Much ado about nothing" and, of course, Die tote Stadt. I'd add Das Wunder der Heliane but, then, that's just me. You'll find your way from there.

I don't actually hold the violin concerto in such high esteem as some of the above works, but it's good that at least one Korngold work so far has secured a place in the repertoire.

Quote from: Scarpia on November 01, 2010, 06:55:34 PM

This is absolutely indispensable. von Otter gives impressive accounts of the (very worthwhile) songs - especially the Shakespearean ones. Plus, the Forsberg & co. version of the magisterial Suite for 2 violins, cello & piano left hand is, I believe, the most intense and distinguished on record so far.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Scarpia on November 01, 2010, 06:55:34 PM
There's the opera, which is rather good in the Korngoldian way (rich orchestration, etc) and there is a series of songs.

Quote from: Wanderer on November 02, 2010, 12:34:09 AM
The op.23 Suite for 2 violins, cello & piano left hand, the (left hand) piano concerto, the cello concerto, the late Symphony, the Suite from "Much ado about nothing" and, of course, Die tote Stadt. I'd add Das Wunder der Heliane but, then, that's just me. You'll find your way from there.

I don't actually hold the violin concerto in such high esteem as some of the above works, but it's good that at least one Korngold work so far has secured a place in the repertoire.

This is absolutely indispensable. von Otter gives impressive accounts of the (very worthwhile) songs - especially the Shakespearean ones. Plus, the Forsberg & co. version of the magisterial Suite for 2 violins, cello & piano left hand is, I believe, the most intense and distinguished on record so far.

Thanks, guys. I may approach the opera rather obliquely, which is totally in character for me. :)  Meanwhile the cello concerto and the Op 23 suite look quite interesting.

Bear in mind that for me, this is a tentative exploration of "that modern music" more than moving around in my comfort zone. I reckon that's alien to many of you, but hey, what can I say? :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

karlhenning

Take that walk on the wild side, Gurn! ; )

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 02, 2010, 04:48:28 AM
Take that walk on the wild side, Gurn! ; )

Working myself up to it, Karl. And after this, I have that pile of Kabelevsky disks at home, as yet unheard... :)

8)

karlhenning

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 02, 2010, 04:52:53 AM
Oh, that made me smile : )

You should start a Kabelevsky thread so we don't hijack this one. I have a bunch to talk about... :)

8)

Guido

Quote from: knight on October 31, 2010, 01:30:42 PM
I am reasonably aware of the historical background, who admired him and who did not. Some of his music I really don't much care for, but as I indicated, I do like these quartets and the background to the composer does not come into it for me.

Mike

Sorry my post wasn't directed at you, more just a general musing on the status of Korngold.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

knight66

Guido, I can see my post could read as a bit defensive, which 0t was not meant to be....no problems with your post for me, I was just outlining my own approach.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Guido

Good, good!

Just listened to Tomorrow again - love that piece - absolute Hollywood sentimental melodrama at its finest, and for once the harmony seems to have strong direction and pull.

Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Siedler

I am going to see Die Tote Stadt live tomorrow at Finnish National Opera and I couldn't be more excited as I love the opera! Helsingin Sanomat gave a rave review both of the work and the performance, calling the production and cast luxurious (Klaus Florian Vogt as Paul and  Camilla Nylund as Marietta). The performance will be released on DVD later.

Grazioso

Well, judging by a fairly quick scan of this thread, it seems that other than film music, one must be pretty much content with the violin concerto and the string quartets. .... What else of his music can I not live without? :)

His symphony, one of the best of the 20th century. A number of recordings are available.
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

jlaurson

Well, judging by a fairly quick scan of this thread, it seems that other than film music, one must be pretty much content with the violin concerto and the string quartets. I have the Perlman concerto and I like it fine. And I have these string quartets;

Here's a list to answer precisely that question.

The Sounds of Korngold
http://www.weta.org/fmblog/?p=314

Doesn't include early works like "The Snowman" or the Piano Trio, but since Korngold was nearly as good a composer when he was 13 as he was with 53, those are very worthwhile, too.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

knight66

I had no idea, but an hour ago I was listening to this on Youtube. I had never heard it before, delightful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkqdjdIRZyo

Mike

J.Z. Herrenberg

Didn't know that either. Thanks, Mike. It was uploaded by Brendan G. Carroll, the Korngold expert, whom I befriended on Facebook a few minutes ago!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

knight66

What a strange coincidence. I read his notes and clearly he knows his stuff.

Mike

J.Z. Herrenberg

Well, he wrote the definitive biography, so he should! Though Jessica Duchen's book is excellent, too. Both books make you all eager to hear Korngold's music, but Jessica's book especially so.

jlaurson

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on May 29, 2011, 12:22:59 PM
It's Erich Wolfgang Korngold's birthday!

Ah, Poppen at work.

Listened to Korngold's Symphony yesterday... but that work rarely works for me... for all the other Korngold stuff I like so much.