Erich Wolfgang Korngold

Started by tjguitar, April 15, 2007, 06:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: jlaurson on May 29, 2011, 04:03:59 PM
Ah, Poppen at work.

Listened to Korngold's Symphony yesterday... but that work rarely works for me... for all the other Korngold stuff I like so much.

It depends, as so often, on the performance. Which do you know? Though if you ask me which I prefer, I have difficulty in answering, because for one reason or another the several interpretations I know (Kempe, Downes, Previn, Albrecht, Welser-Möst...) all huddle together in a blur. But I like Kempe a lot, because he is so raw.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

jlaurson

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on May 29, 2011, 11:13:56 PM

It depends, as so often, on the performance. Which do you know? Though if you ask me which I prefer, I have difficulty in answering, because for one reason or another the several interpretations I know (Kempe, Downes, Previn, Albrecht, Welser-Möst...) all huddle together in a blur. But I like Kempe a lot, because he is so raw.

That response was specifically to John Storgårds & Helsinki (Ondine). I do remember liking Welser-Möst very much; I don't even know which others I (still) have -- Previn, Downes, and Albert methinks. I know I've not listened to Marc Albrecht, which is tempting.

karlhenning

Why didn't anyone ever tell me that the Piano Quintet in E is such brilliant, hot music?

You guys are letting the side down!!!  ; )

Wanderer

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 21, 2011, 04:13:45 AM
Why didn't anyone ever tell me that the Piano Quintet in E is such brilliant, hot music?

You guys are letting the side down!!!  ; )

I think I might have, in the olden times of the forum.

A reminder: the op.23 Suite is also magnificent, if you'd care to venture another brilliant chamber work afterwards.  0:)

madaboutmahler

Have been listening to this on loop for the last half hour... just a 2 minute excerpt from the violin concerto, the first time I have heard any Korngold. It's brilliant!
http://www.digitalconcerthall.com/en/concert/2885/dudamel-kavakos-ravel-korngold-strauss

Definitely want to hear this work in full now. I have had a look throughout the thread and see that the Shaham/Previn recording is the most popular. Thinking about buying this now... is this a wise choice?

This excerpt from the concerto is so incredibly uplifting and wonderful! I can anticipate enjoy the whole work... :)  0:)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

jlaurson

Quote from: madaboutmahler on April 29, 2012, 05:48:46 AM
Have been listening to this on loop for the last half hour... just a 2 minute excerpt from the violin concerto, the first time I have heard any Korngold. It's brilliant!
http://www.digitalconcerthall.com/en/concert/2885/dudamel-kavakos-ravel-korngold-strauss

Definitely want to hear this work in full now. I have had a look throughout the thread and see that the Shaham/Previn recording is the most popular. Thinking about buying this now... is this a wise choice?

Yes. It absolutely is. No downplaying of its character  like Heifetz, no up-playing like the dreadful "Star-Wars" version of Previn/Mutter... and superb couplings.
The Sounds of Korngold
http://www.weta.org/fmblog/?p=314

QuoteConcerto for Violin op.35 & Much Ado about Nothing, op.11 Suite with Gil Shaham and André Previn (Deutsche Grammophon 439886 – also contains the Barber Violin Concerto). Two great romantic violin concertos and played with utmost mastery and beauty. Unlike on his later recording with Anne-Sophie Mutter (coupled with an unattractively played Tchaikovsky concerto), Previn neither plays up the film music aspect (much to the performance's benefit), nor does Shaham self-consciously struggle against it's Hollywood-ring (as does Heifetz, for example).

madaboutmahler

Quote from: jlaurson on April 29, 2012, 07:43:57 AM
Yes. It absolutely is. No downplaying of its character  like Heifetz, no up-playing like the dreadful "Star-Wars" version of Previn/Mutter... and superb couplings.
The Sounds of Korngold

Thank you for the recommendation, Jens, and also for warning me against the recordings I certainly shouldn't get!

Very interesting blog entry by the way, as they always are. Very helpful! :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Brahmsian

Being only familiar with Korngold's famous Violin Concerto, I was ever so pleasantly surprised to find this disc at my library!

Wonderful, upon first listen!  These are very intriguing and unique string quartets!  :)

String Quartet No. 1 in A major, Op. 16
String Quartet No. 2 in E flat major, Op. 26
*String Quartet No. 3 in D major, Op. 34 (dedicated to Bruno Walter)

Performed by the Doric String Quartet
Chandos (2010)

*The 3rd string quartet contains several thematic material and extracts from some of his films scores.

Definitely recommend any chamber music lover to check this disc out!  :)

[asin]B003WL7E8A[/asin]

Scarpia

Was thinking I need that, then remembered I have this one, and haven't had time to listen yet.

[asin]B002SF2VJS[/asin]

:(

Octave

Quote from: jlaurson on November 30, 2010, 04:56:51 AM

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 01, 2010, 06:45:40 PM
Well, judging by a fairly quick scan of this thread, it seems that other than film music, one must be pretty much content with the violin concerto and the string quartets. I have the Perlman concerto and I like it fine. And I have these string quartets;

Here's a list to answer precisely that question.

The Sounds of Korngold

Doesn't include early works like "The Snowman" or the Piano Trio, but since Korngold was nearly as good a composer when he was 13 as he was with 53, those are very worthwhile, too.

Jens, I am having a bit of trouble finding that post at the Ionarts site; did it ever migrate from WETA?  I did not find it at WETA, either.

On television just yesterday, I saw Anne Sofie von Otter singing a song adapted (?) from DIE TOTE STADT, with Bengt Forsberg leading a piano quintet (?) in accompaniment.  It was beautiful, I loved the rich, dark harmonies.  (This performance was from a TDK "Korngold Recital" DVD of hers.)  Now I am interested in digging into Mr. Korngold's music.
I did some sampling of that Decca recording of DAS WUNDER DER HELIANE and bought it straightaway; I am almost certain that is a sound I'm attracted to.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

jlaurson

Quote from: Octave on April 07, 2013, 12:37:59 AM

Jens, I am having a bit of trouble finding that post at the Ionarts site; did it ever migrate from WETA? 

Not yet... I'm afraid. But maybe I'll get to it this week.

Octave

A trivial question about a small difference in these two Korngold starter comps from EMI:

[asin]B001EZ1H1Q[/asin][asin]B004ZARX56[/asin]

The big difference is that the first of these has the Piano Trio (Margalit/Dicterow/Stepansky) and the second comp omits this but includes the Violin Sonata (Margalit/Dicterow).

I guess whichever of these two chamber performances comes off the best, that's the comp I would buy; I intend to get some of the chamber music elsewhere, anyway.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

jlaurson

Quote from: Octave on December 01, 2013, 03:00:30 AM
A trivial question about a small difference in these two Korngold starter comps from EMI:

The big difference is that the first of these has the Piano Trio (Margalit/Dicterow/Stepansky) and the second comp omits this but includes the Violin Sonata (Margalit/Dicterow).

I guess whichever of these two chamber performances comes off the best, that's the comp I would buy; I intend to get some of the chamber music elsewhere, anyway.

I  think that's the only difference, no?
Just as you say: Get either (whichever is less expensive) and get the chamber music elsewhere... the Trio is early, but essential young Korngold.

Fafner

Quote from: jlaurson on December 01, 2013, 03:52:13 AM
I  think that's the only difference, no?
Just as you say: Get either (whichever is less expensive) and get the chamber music elsewhere... the Trio is early, but essential young Korngold.

The first compilation has Mariettas Lied with Kiri Te Kanawa  and Pierrots Lied with Thomas Hampson.

The latter has Mariettas Lied with Barbara Hendricks who also sings 6 Einfache Lieder not included in the other collection.
"Remember Fafner? Remember he built Valhalla? A giant? Well, he's a dragon now. Don't ask me why. Anyway, he's dead."
   --- Anna Russell

jlaurson

Quote from: Fafner on December 01, 2013, 04:43:43 AM
The first compilation has Mariettas Lied with Kiri Te Kanawa  and Pierrots Lied with Thomas Hampson.

The latter has Mariettas Lied with Barbara Hendricks who also sings 6 Einfache Lieder not included in the other collection.

Oh, in that case slight favoring of the latter.

George

My friends, can I ask for recommendations for your favorite recording(s) of the Korngold string quartets?
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Brahmsian

Quote from: George on August 13, 2014, 04:15:55 AM
My friends, can I ask for recommendations for your favorite recording(s) of the Korngold string quartets?

[asin]B003WL7E8A[/asin]

George, this is the only set I've heard, and I was super impressed!  :)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: George on August 13, 2014, 04:15:55 AM

I only have the Aron Quartett (coupled with the Piano Quintet). I don't know how they compare to others but I'm happy with it. The Fanfare review reproduced at Arkiv thinks highly of it.

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=381727

Downside: it's two discs and not cheap (unless one lives in Germany and can take advantage of JPC's reduced price).

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

George

Thanks, guys! Please keep the recommendations coming!
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Jaakko Keskinen

Looking for a complete edition of Korngold's compositions (if there is one). Not successful yet. :(
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo