Hello!

Started by Mapman, April 07, 2022, 04:21:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapman

Hi!

I'm a physics graduate student and clarinetist. I mostly like romantic to mid 20th-century music with memorable melodies. Some of my favorite composers include Mahler, Sibelius, and Dvorak. I also enjoy discovering music by more obscure composers.

I'm also introducing my girlfriend to more classical music. She's listened to all of Mahler's symphonies with me, so I think it's going well.

This forum looks fun!

Mapman

LKB

I'm a rather extreme fan of Mahler myself. " Fanatic " may be a more accurate word, tbh...

Welcome to gmg, we're not all lovable here but you'll find much to interest you.   8)

Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Pizzicato-Polka

Welcome, Mapman!

I also really like Sibelius, and think it's amazing that you're introducing other people to classical music. I hope you'll enjoy your stay here!

aligreto

Welcome aboard.
It is good to see you posting already.
I hope that your participation continues and indeed look forward to it.
:)

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on April 08, 2022, 02:02:42 AM
Welcome aboard.
It is good to see you posting already.
I hope that your participation continues and indeed look forward to it.
:)
+1
I'm also a fan of Sibelius. It sounds like you are having more luck in introducing your girlfriend to classical music than I had with my wife (when she was my girlfriend). I recall playing her John Foulds's 'Dynamic Triptych' (an excellent piece by the way) - all she could say (in a rather bored tone) was 'well, it certainly is dynamic - isn't it?' Things haven't improved since.  ::)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Papy Oli

Hello and welcome Mapman !
Olivier

DavidW

Quote from: Mapman on April 07, 2022, 04:21:54 PM
Hi!

I'm a physics graduate student and clarinetist. I mostly like romantic to mid 20th-century music with memorable melodies. Some of my favorite composers include Mahler, Sibelius, and Dvorak. I also enjoy discovering music by more obscure composers.

I'm also introducing my girlfriend to more classical music. She's listened to all of Mahler's symphonies with me, so I think it's going well.

This forum looks fun!

Mapman

Cool beans.  I'm a physics teacher and was a grad student when I first joined this forum.  I'm also a Mahlerite.  I believe Karl knows his way around the clarinet.  Welcome!

Symphonic Addict

Welcome from me too! Those composers are favorite of mine too. Enjoy your stay here!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mapman

Thank you for all of the nice messages!

bhodges

Hi Mapman, adding my welcome to those of everyone else, and how great that your girlfriend has followed you down the Mahler rabbit hole! That certainly doesn't happen every day. In any case, have a good time here.

--Bruce

classicalgeek

Greetings and welcome, Mapman! Like many others in the group, I'm a Mahler fanatic - the Second is my all-time favorite Mahler Symphony, but really, I love them all. ;D

I'll see you around the threads!

James (classicalgeek)
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Florestan

A warm welcome from a non-Mahler-fanatic! :D
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

LKB

Quote from: Florestan on April 09, 2022, 08:42:43 AM
A warm welcome from a non-Mahler-fanatic! :D

In honor of my first conductor, who was from Transylvania, l hereby forgive your non- Mahler- fanaticism.  :D

Florestan

Quote from: LKB on April 09, 2022, 08:52:53 AM
In honor of my first conductor, who was from Transylvania,

Who was he?

Quotel hereby forgive your non- Mahler- fanaticism.  :D

For the record: I like Mahler's music --- but liking is one thing, being fanatic about it is quite another. If anything, I am a Mozart-Schubert-Chopin fanatic.  ;)

LKB

Quote from: Florestan on April 09, 2022, 09:00:09 AM
Who was he?

For the record: I like Mahler's music --- but liking is one thing, being fanatic about it is quite another. If anything, I am a Mozart-Schubert-Chopin fanatic.  ;)

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Eugene-Stoia-gifted-violinist-and-conductor-2822952.php

I'd say I'm a near- fanatic of Schubert, while Mozart and Chopin would fall into the " enjoyable " category.

Perhaps we'll compare notes on Franz sometime.  8)

Florestan

Mirror Image

Welcome aboard, Mapman! Mahler, Sibelius and Dvořák are some of my favorites as well. Looking forward to seeing you down the road.

The new erato

Welcome, and good to se you posting.

joachim

Hello and welcome, Mapman, to this friendly forum, where I have been registered for a short time.

I also like Gustav Mahler's symphonies, my favorites being the 1st and 4th. I suppose you know the primitive version the 1st, with the Blumine movement?

Pohjolas Daughter

Hello Mapman!  I'm also a big fan of Sibelius (note avatar) and also of Dvorak....working on Mahler (Rather slowly for the most part. lol ).

And good luck with your studies!  And perhaps DavidW might be willing to give you some advice/guidance should you be in need of any?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter