New to GMG

Started by Olias, April 13, 2022, 05:20:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olias

Hello all, I've been on a different Classical Music forum for the past 12 years.  I've enjoyed my time there but they have just completely changed their software.  The new format took away the simple, clean, and easy to navigate forum and now has lots of adverts and banners which can only be avoided by subscribing to a "platinum" membership.  Regretfully, I had to leave.  FORTUNATELY, I found this forum which has a very easy format and clean look to it.  I look forward to interacting with people here.
"It is the artists of the world, the feelers, and the thinkers who will ultimately save us." - Leonard Bernstein

bhodges

Hi Olias, and welcome. GMG has had the same software for many years, and though it has its minuses, it's mostly stable and reliable. In any case, hope you enjoy your time here. Let us know what you're listening to!

--Bruce

Olias

Thank you!  I'm a music educator and published composer of concert band and string orchestra music, currently in my 28th year of teaching middle school.  I tend to listen the most to Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Dvorak, Mendelssohn, Shostakovich, and Copland, although I occasionally listen to pretty much anything.  Never got into Wagner or Bruckner, although I acknowledge their influence.  Looking forward to interacting with members here.
"It is the artists of the world, the feelers, and the thinkers who will ultimately save us." - Leonard Bernstein

Mirror Image

Welcome aboard, Olias! You look familiar from the "other" forum. You may know me there as Neo Romanza. Anyway, I hope you enjoy it here and, yeah, GMG is easy to navigate and is simple in its layout. The way a forum should be. You will find, however, that this forum doesn't get the kind of foot traffic as the other forum you came from, but the friendships I've forged here with many of the regulars have been rewarding.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 13, 2022, 06:43:14 PM
Welcome aboard, Olias! You look familiar from the "other" forum. You may know me there as Neo Romanza. Anyway, I hope you enjoy it here and, yeah, GMG is easy to navigate and is simple in its layout. The way a forum should be. You will find, however, that this forum doesn't get the kind of foot traffic as the other forum you came from, but the friendships I've forged here with many of the regulars have been rewarding.

I wouldn't had imagined it was you.  ;D :P
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

And welcome, Dvorakian fellow Olias!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

steve ridgway

Hello Olias. This forum may be quieter but there are enough people with overlapping tastes to keep it interesting and the lower number of members makes it easier to keep track.

Jo498

Welcome! I first thought you were a returning member but there must have been another one with a Dvorak avatar in the past.
This forum here has become a bit quieter than it used to be when I joined 7 years ago but unlike the other one in its new guise it is navigable and maybe there will be a few new members bringing more "action".
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Mirror Image

Quote from: Jo498 on April 14, 2022, 01:53:10 AM...maybe there will be a few new members bringing more "action".

This would be awesome and something I'd love to see.

Papy Oli

Olivier

aligreto

Hello and welcome. It is good to see you posting already. Enjoy your time here.  :)

aligreto

Quote from: Jo498 on April 14, 2022, 01:53:10 AM
Welcome! I first thought you were a returning member but there must have been another one with a Dvorak avatar in the past.
This forum here has become a bit quieter than it used to be when I joined 7 years ago but unlike the other one in its new guise it is navigable and maybe there will be a few new members bringing more "action".

That was probably Mirror Image last week ;)  ;D

LKB

AFAIAC, any music educator l encounter has automatic Hero Status. Welcome!  8)
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Mirror Image

André

Hello there, welcome to GMG, Olias !

classicalgeek

Welcome, Olias! I love what you do, both as an educator and as a composer - the right teacher can make all the difference in getting their students excited about music. I'll see you around!
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

vandermolen

Welcome from me too  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Olias

I'm feeling the love already.  Thanks everyone.  my real name is Mekel if anyone is interested.  :)

My websites and blogs are:

www.mekelrogers.com

http://somethingclassical.blogspot.com

https://dvorakshack.blogspot.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9Ts5nOqXqv7hHoqShWKg0A