Welcome from Yorkshire

Started by Autolycus, April 16, 2022, 05:14:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Florestan on April 17, 2022, 04:45:49 AM
If that is her reaction to Myaskovsky or Vaughan Williams, I dread to imagine what would have happened had you been a Xenakis devotee.  :laugh:
Possibly Shostakovich, Allan Pettersson, Havergal Brian, Klaus Egge...who knows?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

LKB

Quote from: vandermolen on April 17, 2022, 05:10:45 AM
Haha! I recall that Sibelius's long-suffering wife Aino once asked her husband when he would be home after arranging the latest drinking session with his friends, only to receive the response 'I'm a composer not a fortune teller'. They didn't speak for a long time after this.

I would have gotten on well with old Jean, l believe...
Mit Fl├╝geln, die ich mir errungen...

Florestan

Quote from: vandermolen on April 17, 2022, 05:10:45 AM
Haha! I recall that Sibelius's long-suffering wife Aino once asked her husband when he would be home after arranging the latest drinking session with his friends, only to receive the response 'I'm a composer not a fortune teller'. They didn't speak for a long time after this.

"Art is no excuse for boring people." - Jules Renard

"Melody is the essence of music." - Mozart

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

Quote from: vandermolen on April 18, 2022, 03:30:50 AM
That's a great painting of a drunken Sibelius and Kajanus  ;D

Apparently Merikanto was no match for them. :D

aligreto

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

vandermolen

Florestan