Favourite Pierrot Lunaire.

Started by Mandryka, May 02, 2022, 12:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

There are quite a few records of this, and I'd like to hear the most interesting ones.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Todd

For Schäfer.  I've heard maybe five or six others, so not many, but if I want to just enjoy the piece, it's this recording.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mirror Image

This one:

But there are several others that I love, too.

staxomega

This is one of my favorite 20c works. I wouldn't come at it as my personal favorites, more important to me is what unique insights does a particular performance have. These are Jan DeGaetani/Contemporary Chamber Ensemble/Arthur Weisberg, Erika Sziklay/Budapest Chamber Orchestra/András Mihály, Christine Schäfer/Ensemble intercontemporain/Boulez, Alda Caiello/Prazak Qt, etc/Johannes Meissl, and possibly the most controversial but has to be heard Patricia Kopatchinskaja/etc.

TheGSMoeller

The Schäfer/Boulez on DG might be the best sounding Pierrot, it is great. The two I go for most often are below, the sprechstimme on these are beautifully expressive, but with Manning having the slight edge here as she conveys this technique with a natural ability.

I found a used copy of Pierrot score years ago, it's a fun one to follow along with.

Olias

Quote from: Todd on May 02, 2022, 12:39:08 PM

For Schäfer.  I've heard maybe five or six others, so not many, but if I want to just enjoy the piece, it's this recording.

I second that suggestion.
"It is the artists of the world, the feelers, and the thinkers who will ultimately save us." - Leonard Bernstein

staxomega

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on May 02, 2022, 05:06:44 PM
The Schäfer/Boulez on DG might be the best sounding Pierrot, it is great. The two I go for most often are below, the sprechstimme on these are beautifully expressive, but with Manning having the slight edge here as she conveys this technique with a natural ability.

I found a used copy of Pierrot score years ago, it's a fun one to follow along with.

Here is the art from my earlier CD, a candidate for the best looking art thread?  :P

(poco) Sforzando

I have never heard a better performance than this one from 1963 conducted by Robert Craft, with Bethany Beardslee. Never commercially transferred to CD, but trust me on this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGq-WOCGKsw&t=3s
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

steve ridgway

I've only heard this one so far, with Marie Therèse Escribano, but liked it. Found it on archive.org.

Mandryka

I listened to Herreweghe last night.

I have a bit of a prejudice against Herreweghe, who I tend to think of as a someone who uses big choirs to produce a plush consonant polished sound - which is not me at all. So I approached this recording with trepidation.

However the good news is that I am totally seduced, disarmed, by Marianne Pousseur!

Mandryka

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on May 02, 2022, 05:06:44 PM

Ah, the Rattle/Manning is amazing, thank you for posting.

steve ridgway

None of the above are freely available on archive.org but after a quick scan of those that are I wouldn't mind giving this one with Mary Thomas a proper listen.

Mandryka

By the way, you all know there's a recording of it with the composer conducting, I have it on a CD paired with the Juilliard playing the string trio. The sound is everything you would expect, but listenable.

Mandryka

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on May 02, 2022, 08:16:03 PM
I have never heard a better performance than this one from 1963 conducted by Robert Craft, with Bethany Beardslee. Never commercially transferred to CD, but trust me on this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGq-WOCGKsw&t=3s

I think that you're probably right, I mean Beardslee was made for this sort of stuff and Craft's recordings from the period are special.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: hvbias on May 02, 2022, 05:54:45 PM
Here is the art from my earlier CD, a candidate for the best looking art thread?  :P

I'm willing to buy a second copy of this performance just for this cover!

staxomega

I revisited this one that I mentioned in my first post. Not as out there as the one with Kopatchinskaja, but still a very unique take with Alda Caiello's delivery.