The Very Last Work You'd Like to Hear

Started by Florestan, May 07, 2022, 07:59:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 07, 2022, 07:17:59 PM
Lovely choices, Jeffrey. Good to read you love the Duruflé Requiem as much as I do.
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 07, 2022, 07:33:13 PM
Roughly 12 years ago.

https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,17042.0.html

Vandermolen has changed his choice. I stick with my original choice.
Forgotten about that!
At least I stuck with VW for one of my choices.

André

One piece of music I wouldn't want to hear in my final moments is the finale of Mahler's 6th symphony  😱

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Lisztianwagner

It could be Götterdämmerung or Mahler 9.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

vandermolen

Miaskovsky's 27th Symphony and Glazunov's 'The Seasons' also come to mind.

prémont

The very last thing I could think of hearing would be Wagner's Ring.

So is already the case now. 
;D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Irons

Nimrod, from Elgar's Enigma. The way the piece ends is like the end of life itself. Build up to a climax and go out with a whimper.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on November 08, 2022, 08:14:18 AM
Nimrod, from Elgar's Enigma. The way the piece ends is like the end of life itself. Build up to a climax and go out with a whimper.
I remember that it was played as a tribute to a wheelchair bound Jacqueline du Pre at a Prom concert I attended - so sad.

AaronSF

Sorry, can't name just one...it's impossible, so here's a partial playlist:

Purcell, Dido and Aeneas, "Dido's Lament."

Brahms's Requiem, "Wie lieblich ist deine Wohnungen."

Beethoven, Sonata No. 32 in C minor, "Adagietto, Molto Semplice e Cantabile."

Schubert, String Quartet No. 14, "Death and the Maiden," 2nd Movement, "Andante con moto."

Schubert, Piano Sonata No. 21 in Bb major, 2nd Movement, "Andante sostenuto."

Debussy, Orchestral Preludes, "Nuages."

Ravel, Gaspard de la nuit, "Le Gibet."

Puccini, Madama Butterfly, "Un bel di," Monserrat Caballe.

Mozart, "Ave Verum Corpus."

Mahler, Symphony No. 3 in in D minor, 4th movement, "Sehr Langsam. Misterioso. 'O Mensch!  Gib acht!'"

Mahler, Symphony No. 9 in D major, 4th movement "Adagio.  Sehr langsam und noch zurückhaltend."

R. Strauss, "Vier Letzte Lieder," 1st song.

Faure, Requiem, Op. 48, "Sanctus."

Mozart, "Exultate Jubilate."  Got to end on a happy note.

greg

Mahler 9. (duh- predictable answer from me).
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on November 08, 2022, 01:46:25 PM
I remember that it was played as a tribute to a wheelchair bound Jacqueline du Pre at a Prom concert I attended - so sad.

Blimey, Nimrod get's me at the best of times. I cannot imagine what it would be like in those circumstances, Jeffrey.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

DaveF

It would depend on how much time you had: if the medical authorities gave you a few weeks, then an in-depth traversal of Byrd's Gradualia might be called for.  On the other hand, if the runaway bus was actually bearing down on you, then Stravinsky's Epitaphium might be a better fit.  Appropriate subject-matter too.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison